Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing a house that needs complete modernistation

Options
  • 09-02-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My girlfriend & I have arranged to view a house this Saturday that's well within our budget. It is in need of modernization & TLC though.

How do I get a ball park figure of how much it would cost to do up the house? Obviously I would need to bring a builder along with me to the viewing to gauge how much the modernization works would cost. Unfortunately I don't know of any builders. I think the best course of action would be to search for local builders in the area. Would anyone be able to advise how much a typical builder would charge to accompany someone to a house viewing?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ask your family members. You would need an engineer not a builder. Builders price a job. Engineers make sure its structually sound. Massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hi.

My girlfriend & I have arranged to view a house this Saturday that's well within our budget. It is in need of modernization & TLC though.

How do I get a ball park figure of how much it would cost to do up the house? Obviously I would need to bring a builder along with me to the viewing to gauge how much the modernization works would cost. Unfortunately I don't know of any builders. I think the best course of action would be to search for local builders in the area. Would anyone be able to advise how much a typical builder would charge to accompany someone to a house viewing?

Cheers.

I'm in a similar position to yourself. I've read back through a year of threads here and on other sites and about €850 per sq ft seems to be a good price for a retro-fit for a medium finish, €1,500 per sq ft or thereabouts for an extension. Not definitive of course

Try over here for more info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Iristxo

jay0109 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position to yourself. I've read back through a year of threads here and on other sites and about €850 per sq ft seems to be a good price for a retro-fit for a medium finish, €1,500 per sq ft or thereabouts for an extension. Not definitive of course

Try over here for more info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

Do you mean per sq metre?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Iristxo wrote: »
    Do you mean per sq metre?

Let's hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

yes, got my feet and metres mixed up there:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LongJac15

Hello...Just wished to add, that I got a structural engineer in, to inspect a one hundred year old terrace, that I really wanted to buy...It was the best 300 Euro spent!! As MrIncognito states, get yourself a decent Engineer to inspect any property, of a certain age and condition...They'll tell you if the Property will still stand, by the time a building team does it up...! I still miss that wee hovel of a house, but had to be realistic with budgets. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I am a year into my first house that needed/needs work.
    I brought a quantity surveyer on viewing and got prices, which were beyond me.

Having purchased the house, I have got a lot done by doing the easy stuff myself, going slow on the other more difficult non rush stuff and employing trades men for other tasks I wouldn't try.

Your structural engineers report is "for your eyes only" and really is just a pile of disclaimers. but still worth it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends but having bought a 1970s house that needed some work ,I don't think there would be much change out of 100k for re-wiring ,plumbing ,new bathroom ,kitchen ,decorating .
    Unfortunately ours is far from there yet .

If you were to get help, do an evening course even,
    you could rewire/ plumb the house yourself for very little.

I plumbed my own house, its not rocket science. the most difficult part was dealing with dust and replastering if chasing needs done.
    I poured concrete floors, fitted skirting, architrave, hung second hand oak doors I bought for €10 etc etc. I can all be done if you educate yourself and take the plunge. Its YOUR house!

As I said already, the op is asking about costs. If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it.
    But if the two of you can slum it for a year or two, do it yourself.
    Is it your dream home otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go to the viewing first. If you like the property and think it's worth moving on, stick in an offer. If the offer is accepted, then you get yourself an engineer in.

If you get the engineer to accompany you to viewings and you subsequently don't buy it because you don't like it or they reject your offer, then you've just blown €300 on an engineer.

If the engineer finds anything major wrong with the property that will cost five figures to remedy or otherwise is a big red flag, then you have scope to negotiate a reduction in price or that the vendor has that work done before you close. Or you pull out completely.

You also have to consider that an engineer will need time inspecting parts of the property that you won't get in a standard viewing. Many auctioneers won't even let you go into the attic if there's no ladder.

• Advertisement

In 2013 I spent €800 on several engineers viewing different houses.
    Many will charge a LOT less, if they view a property with a phone call report afterwards and NOT a written report. (I think I spent €100 with the option of another €200 for the written)

However, a written report possibly gives you some manoeuvres in price negotiating.

Ask the engineer for two prices, a verbal and written like I did

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

ligertigon wrote: »
    In 2013 I spent €800 on several engineers viewing different houses.
    Many will charge a LOT less, if they view a property with a phone call report afterwards and NOT a written report. (I think I spent €100 with the option of another €200 for the written)

However, a written report possibly gives you some manoeuvres in price negotiating.

Ask the engineer for two prices, a verbal and written like I did

I would want a written report as it gives you some slim hope of comeback for liability if they do a really bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would want a written report as it gives you some slim hope of comeback for liability if they do a really bad job.
    I guess if the engineer tells you the house is a wreck and steer well clear, then a verbal report is good enough.

Otherwise if you're planning on proceeding, a written report is better as you at least have the engineer's professional insurance if they missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If there are suspected structural problems, get an engineer to do the property inspection.

If it is merely a matter of 'last decorated circa 1973', get a quantity surveyor who does property inspections, they should be able to do your property inspection and provide a detailed budget. Engineers and architects will be fuzzy on budgets.

You will need to agree a scope of work for the budget. Do not approach builders at this time - it's a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

I am a year into my first house that needed/needs work.
    I brought a quantity surveyer on viewing and got prices, which were beyond me.

Having purchased the house, I have got a lot done by doing the easy stuff myself, going slow on the other more difficult non rush stuff and employing trades men for other tasks I wouldn't try.

Your structural engineers report is "for your eyes only" and really is just a pile of disclaimers. but still worth it

That's a bit of a sweeping generalization.

A survey is typically visual only with no opening up so of course there are limitations to what can be found. There are on the surface tell tale signs for problems but anything hidden from view cannot be reported on.

A disclaimer merely highlights the limitations of a visual survey and most professionals in whatever arena put in disclaimers because some folk expect miracles to be preformed for the small fess they are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your structural engineers report is "for your eyes only"

The report is for the benefit of the person who paid for it (usually the purchaser). Such qualifications are added to stop the vendor / developer / builder using the report to bash the person who paid for it / the purchaser.

It also stops the person who paid for it selling it on.

Advertisement