Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortened URL's can be a security risk

• 10-02-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Interesting article on shortened URL's and how they can be a security risk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know yeah

I wrote about it here www.boards.ie/bikoblog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

URLs can be dangerous.

My browser can't actually visit URLs generated by http://www.shadyurl.com, and they're usually legit (someone taking the piss).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Twitter now allows you to put the full URL in for only the character cost of a shortened URL. As such I've stopped using short URL's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Khannie wrote: »
    Twitter now allows you to put the full URL in for only the character cost of a shortened URL. As such I've stopped using short URL's.
    That's great but also no use if you are on WordPress as it sends out a shortened URL when ever you create a new post on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Only today I have seen shortened urls point to a website , the website functions and with the latest adobe (But protected by Third party based patches) was jumped to a C&C server as per usual it didnt stay up very long . Have seen plenty of sites lately that appear to be working fine but have been compromised to drop payloads via known adobe vulns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement