Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone West

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

athlonelad wrote: »
    Athlone RFC played in Connacht long before they merged with Ballinasloe and before they became Buccaneers. They always played in connacht.

There was a time however I believe that there was a club based in Athlone who played in Leinster but that was before WWII.

Why do they play in Connacht? I know the school teams (rugby) as far as Ferbane do as well.

In soccer, the Marist College play in the Connacht League, while their footballers play in Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Why do they play in Connacht?

Why on earth not ? We're sat right straddling the border of Connaught and Leinster and there is no reason why playing in an obvious choice over playing in the other. I've always thought that the real "heart" of Athlone is on the Connuaght side (The Far Side), although I've real affection for the Leinster side as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Long Gone wrote: »
    Why on earth not ? We're sat right straddling the border of Connaught and Leinster and there is no reason why playing in an obvious choice over playing in the other. I've always thought that the real "heart" of Athlone is on the Connuaght side (The Far Side), although I've real affection for the Leinster side as well.

Hey, I have no objection, my allegiance is the Roscommon Side of town (God's Country)

Yes, in the past, or even before mid 1990, the West Side was the heart of the town. DH Burkes, Fish fond and fancy drinking cooler at BOI Pearse St, all the main butchers, Pockets!,

Still, I would like to know why it is the case? Was it more for the development of Rugby in the Connacht Region? Why do the Marist play Connacht Soccer when it's a Westmeath School for other sports?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hey, I have no objection, my allegiance is the Roscommon Side of town (God's Country)

Yes, in the past, or even before mid 1990, the West Side was the heart of the town. DH Burkes, Fish fond and fancy drinking cooler at BOI Pearse St, all the main butchers, Pockets!,

Still, I would like to know why it is the case? Was it more for the development of Rugby in the Connacht Region? Why do the Marist play Connacht Soccer when it's a Westmeath School for other sports?

Jaysus, they bring back memories. Connaught used to be quite a busy little street. The only reason the mother would head across town was to Lennons Fruit and Veg or the old Dunnes when it was the only decent supermarket in town.

Advertisement