Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Dundalk

Options
  • 10-02-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm living on the Blackrock road in Dundalk in an estate that currently does not have fibre or 4G coverage. I was getting 4mb speeds on my DSL broadband with Digiweb for the past 6 years and paying €30 per month. Since the start of January, this has collapsed big time. At peak times, I'm struggling to get 0.03mbs download speeds. Digiweb have told me that its because of my line being a LLU connection and increased congestion at the exchange. The exchange is due to be upgraded by June (I've heard that one before).

I'm being told now that I have to move to the more expensive (€40 per month) Metro broadband if I wish to have fast speeds again before fibre is introduced. This caps my data allowance at 60gb per month versus the 350gb I am currently getting now. With Netflix and SkyGo in a couple of rooms and an IPTV, I kind of need the bigger allowance.

The best thing about this option is that Digiweb have told me that should fibre come into my estate in the next 12 months, I can cancel my Metro contract and move onto one of their fibre plans without any cancellation fees.

My other option is Imagine Wimax and they are offering unlimited broadband for €22 per month (with €150 installation cost) but I've heard really sketchy reports about them in relation to both coverage and what actually means "unlimited broadband".

Has anybody had any similar experiences and what do you think is the best option? DSL and Mobile Broadband are pretty much out the window due to my location and satellite broadband is far too expensive.

Advertisement