Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Beasty wrote: »
    Fell off the bottom step of the stairs bringing pressies down on XMas Eve, if that counts!

The bottom step! Just shows ya how easily it can be done. Get well soon.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cycle4fun wrote: »
    I was being very careful as I could not hold onto the handrail. The problem was I thought I was at the bottom step when I was actually at the 2nd bottom one. Fortunately the presents were unscathed...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was being very careful as I could not hold onto the handrail. The problem was I thought I was at the bottom step when I was actually at the 2nd bottom one. Fortunately the presents were unscathed...

Most stair related injuries take place on the bottom step, funnily enough.

They should just take away the bottom step - that would sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

About two weeks ago I was starting my first roller session of the winter.
    Got the wheels turning. Getting the legs up to speed and sorting my balance..when the belt snapped and I went all over the place and hit the deck.
    The most unnerving feeling.
    Left arm still hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Maybe put a health and safety warning on it at the very least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe put a health and safety warning on it at the very least...

If the step was hi-vis....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Most stair related injuries take place on the bottom step, funnily enough.

Makes sense. Presumably though most damage is done when falling from the top step, so I would go one further and remove that one also. In fact I'm going to do that right now....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's like drinking. they always say it's the last pint that does the damage.

it's like drinking. they always say it's the last pint that does the damage.
    Are you accusing me, hic, of being, hic, unstable, hic???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are you accusing me, hic, of being, hic, unstable, hic???

It's not the first time you have fallen over now, to be fair,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Today. Passing Croke Park. I was overly relaxed, going at a middling pace. Took a hand off the bars for some reason and a crosswind I didn't expect and some toe overlap possibly sent the bike and me down.

Snapped a garmin mount and ripped a bit of the new bar tape. I'm left with a small scrape on the shoulder and damaged pride.

Was kindly helped by some passers by.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

This morning, innocent fall in town while heading to a club spin.
    Dislocation with a fracture to shoulder. Waterford tomorrw for opinion on surgery or not.

Sickened with racing starting in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

dahat wrote: »
    This morning, innocent fall in town while heading to a club spin.
    Dislocation with a possible fracture do waiting to get that confirmed.

Sickened with racing starting in March.

Sorry to hear that - hope you have a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Today :( left the bike shed in work cycled about 20 ft and the side of the front rim failed.

Ended up in the back of an ambulance then to beaumount. I dislocated my shoulder. No activity for a few weeks which is a bummer because I’m going to the Caribbean on Friday and was meant to be kitesurfing most days ( when I’m. Not working ) absolutely pi55ed off.

Jesus, you'd not have even picked up speed in the that distance. Hope that heals well for you. Bright side is recovery in the Caribbean !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭secman

ted1 wrote: »
    Today :( left the bike shed in work cycled about 20 ft and the side of the front rim failed.

Ended up in the back of an ambulance then to beaumount. I dislocated my shoulder. No activity for a few weeks which is a bummer because I’m going to the Caribbean on Friday and was meant to be kitesurfing most days ( when I’m. Not working ) absolutely pi55ed off.

That's crap luck.... but imagine it happening on a descent ! doesn't bear thinking about. Speedy recovery.

Jesus, you'd not have even picked up speed in the that distance. Hope that heals well for you. Bright side is recovery in the Caribbean !!!
    I’d say I was going 5kmh still on the path to get to the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was there any obvious sign of why the rim failed after? or have you had a chance to look?

was there any obvious sign of why the rim failed after? or have you had a chance to look?
    I have not got a chance to look , colleagues put it away from me. But what o could seee from a few feet away was most of the side rim totally disconnected. I pumped my tyres to 110 PSI Yesterday and cycled 30kn to work this morning

I have not got a chance to look , colleagues put it away from me. But what o could seee from a few feet away was most of the side rim totally disconnected. I pumped my tyres to 110 PSI Yesterday and cycled 30kn to work this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I lost grip on my front wheel on a right-hand bend 3 weeks ago and am still nursing a bad wrist-sprain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

Last week down the West I was trying out my new clip in pedals, only second time out. I had stopped for a break, just got going again and a car came up behind me, so I pulled onto the grass verge to let him pass. Lost traction, going too slowly, so over I went onto the road. Hip and shoulder are still sore after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ted1 wrote: »
    Rim failure along the length of the rim is usually down to pure wear. It creeps up on you though, it would be very easy to not look at the rim surface for a couple of months and before you know it, it's on the verge of failure. How old are the wheels?
    Only time it happened to me, the rim just bulged massively and the tube burst. I was lucky not to have been going at any speed or that the rim didn't shear away completely.

Hope you recover swiftly.

The wheel is about 3 Winters old. It’s a mavic cx built on a hub dynamo. I generally use it September/October to March.

Had planned to take it off last weekend but didn’t get a chance and was going to do it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Time to practice your wheelbuilding skills so. I recently replaced a rim on my dynamo hub. Pretty easy task if you swap spokes from one rim to the next one at a time.

Sure you'll have plenty of time while not going to the Caribbean...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Time to practice your wheelbuilding skills so. I recently replaced a rim on my dynamo hub. Pretty easy task if you swap spokes from one rim to the next one at a time.

Sure you'll have plenty of time while not going to the Caribbean...

Fancy building my new wheel then? :pac:

I ignored your advice of getting a Disc Hub Dynamo in case I ever changed to disc brakes and now I am changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

plodder wrote: »
    Last week down the West I was trying out my new clip in pedals, only second time out. I had stopped for a break, just got going again and a car came up behind me, so I pulled onto the grass verge to let him pass. Lost traction, going too slowly, so over I went onto the road. Hip and shoulder are still sore after it.

That's what happens when you are nice on the roads. It eats you. Let the monster out of you next time and give the driver the finger while you let them wait.

Last time I fell I was side swiped by a car tunning left. Just some damaged muscle in my hand nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weepsie wrote: »
    Fancy building my new wheel then? :pac:

I ignored your advice of getting a Disc Hub Dynamo in case I ever changed to disc brakes and now I am changing.

Ha!

I'm happy building my own wheels 'cos if they break it's my own fault. Not so for somebody else's wheel though...

OTOH, the €10 I spent on https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php was well worth it. Includes plans to build your own truing stand and gauges and everything. Made mine out of an old kitchen cupboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

That's what happens when you are nice on the roads. It eats you. Let the monster out of you next time and give the driver the finger while you let them wait.
    I'm not normally that deferential, but this was the bottom of a (small) mountain pass and a narrow road. So, it was in everybody's interest to let him by. At least he got past me before I fell off, so didn't get the opportunity to point fingers and laugh at me. :o

• Advertisement

Here's some photos of the wheel, you can see where the rim failed. I didn't realise how much had gone till I saw it today.
    447918.jpg

Advertisement