Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

some more

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Crazy. I had something similar happen to a single speed about 3 years back. Hadn't realised how worn the wheel was and it just blew at random on a commute home. Hopefully you're recovering from the smash ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Don't commute myself but I'd imagine there's a fair amount of braking, you said they were in their 3rd winter, what kind of km' s do you reckon was on them ?

secman wrote: »
    Don't commute myself but I'd imagine there's a fair amount of braking, you said they were in their 3rd winter, what kind of km' s do you reckon was on them ?
    Maybe 10,000+

Shows another benefit of disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ted1 wrote: »
    I have not got a chance to look , colleagues put it away from me. But what o could seee from a few feet away was most of the side rim totally disconnected. I pumped my tyres to 110 PSI Yesterday and cycled 30kn to work this morning

That’s awful luck. It’s not how fast you are going, it’s how you fall that dictates extent of injury.

Chronic rim wear is not something you easily notice. The high pressure (110psi) must have caused the fail. I would rarely go over 100psi, especially on a commute bike.

I don’t think modern rims have as thick a brake surface depth (keeping revolving weight down has its downsides). I had old Mavic Open 4 CD’s that went for some 20/25k miles before I noticed a crack on the rear. Front was fine. Lovely wheels, built with silky smooth 1st Gen 8sp Dura Ace hubs by the excellent wheelbuilder, Steve Flynn (RIP) in 8sp Dura Ace. Them were the days!!

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I have not got a chance to look , colleagues put it away from me. But what o could seee from a few feet away was most of the side rim totally disconnected. I pumped my tyres to 110 PSI Yesterday and cycled 30kn to work this morning

That’s awful luck. It’s not how fast you are going, it’s how you fall that dictates extent of injury.

Chronic rim wear is not something you easily notice. The high pressure (110psi) must have caused the fail. I would rarely go over 100psi, especially on a commute bike.

I don’t think modern rims have as thick a brake surface depth (keeping revolving weight down has its downsides). I had old Mavic Open 4 CD’s that went for some 20/25k miles before I noticed a crack on the rear. Front was fine. Lovely wheels, built with silky smooth 1st Gen 8sp Dura Ace hubs by the excellent wheelbuilder, Steve Flynn (RIP) in 8sp Dura Ace. Them were the days!!
    One of the other cyclists commented that it was warm in the glass/ Perspex lock up and maybe the air expanded. I wonder if it made any difference?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's shocking bad luck ted1. As a veteran of 4 dislocated shoulders I would recommend doing all the physio. Despite it's tedious boringness.

This Jan I think it was, I was heading off with 3 full bin bags on the bike. Have done numerous times before. I am just swinging my leg over the bike, which is resting on my left leg. Front wheel starts to go, I go to grab the bars with my free hand, but bike starts to slide, and I grab the stem instead of the bars. Down I go into the bins *facepalm* This was in front of several neighbours who had just commented that I was out on the bike again as usual. Oh the shame :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    As a veteran of 4 dislocated shoulders
    both sides?

Jesus the rim looks like someone took a can opener to it.

I'm on disks myself usually but is there anything you can look out for in a regular check that would point to rims needing to be changed other than obvious signs of wear?

both sides?

Yeah twice each. I suppose there is something to be said for the symmetry...!

The last time I told the father I'd dislocated the right one again, and he says 'Isn't it well ya have another one'. Indeed it is athair :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i read your post i quoted, it reminded me of something i've been known to quote about a former schoolmate; he's broken a leg three times playing rugby.
    thankfully (?), none of them were his.

The last time I told the father I'd dislocated the right one again, and he says 'Isn't it well ya have another one'. Indeed it is athair :pac:

Ah here you've me laughing to myself remembering a lad at school who broke both arms in one go and the lads asking him on the bus if his mam wiped is back side for him that morning and him saying dead serious "sure how else would I do it do you see any sh!t on my casts?????" :D

Ah here you've me laughing to myself remembering a lad at school who broke both arms in one go and the lads asking him on the bus if his mam wiped is back side for him that morning and him saying dead serious "sure how else would I do it do you see any sh!t on my casts?????" :D

I laughed out loud :pac:

another friend claims to have been given rohypnol to facilitate the reseating of his shoulder - the logic being that it makes you forget the pain of it being reseated, so you're less likely to tense up the next time it needs to be done.

i make no claims as to whether this is accurate, and have wondered if it's true.

another friend claims to have been given rohypnol to facilitate the reseating of his shoulder - the logic being that it makes you forget the pain of it being reseated, so you're less likely to tense up the next time it needs to be done.

i make no claims as to whether this is accurate, and have wondered if it's true.

I've remembered every single time, I put 3 back in myself. I got gas and air the one I didn't, which didn't provide any pain memory loss! If I can't do it myself again I want to be knocked out. It's not pleasant!

I've remembered every single time, I put 3 back in myself. I got gas and air the one I didn't, which didn't provide any pain memory loss! If I can't do it myself again I want to be knocked out. It's not pleasant!
    Wow fair play I couldn’t get up off the ground. My ankle and elbows are different stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

this morning, coming into the car park at work where the surface is polished concrete. About 10 seconds after security guard told me to be careful as the ground was slippy :o. Turning left, quite slowly, and both wheels just gave out and I landed on my arse. Major injuries to my pride, no surgery required though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Here's some photos of the wheel, you can see where the rim failed. I didn't realise how much had gone till I saw it today.
    447918.jpg

What rim is that?

If you are ever going to build a wheel, now would be the time. Front wheels with high spoke count are easy to build and forgiving to an amateur builder. If you tape rims together you won't even need to worry about lacing pattern

If you can get exact same rim (or one with identical ERD) it would be a cheap replacement; you can keep same hub, spokes and nipples

Also wtf are you doing with 100psi in a front wheel! fit 28mm plus and try about 65 (unless you are very heavy and carry a lot on bike. Wide rims will be less likely to pinch flat at low pressure all other things being equal

It’s a mavic cxp with 36 spokes, perfectly trued never had to touch it. I’m about 100kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Came off this morning - woman ran through a gap in a hedge without looking and I had nowhere to go. Avoided her, but hooked a bag. No major damage to the bike or me, a few scrapes on both. I even managed to be quite restrained and (iirc) expletive free.

Really just wanted to start the campaign for Insurance and Road Tax for Pedestrians! She wasn't even wearing hi viz!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Came off this morning - woman ran through a gap in a hedge without looking and I had nowhere to go. Avoided her, but hooked a bag. No major damage to the bike or me, a few scrapes on both. I even managed to be quite restrained and (iirc) expletive free.

Really just wanted to start the campaign for Insurance and Road Tax for Pedestrians! She wasn't even wearing hi viz!

Was she wearing a helmet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was she wearing a helmet though?
    No, but I was. So now my few years old mojito now has a crack in one of the rear pointy bits/ wings. So currently trying to decide whether to go aero (love the look of the evade) or lightweight and vented! (Edit - went with a compromise of the giro cinder).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Been a while, but yesterday had a fairly spectacular lookin one I imagine.

On the grand canal somewhere between Hazelhatch and Sallins, I was just bobbing along nicely and went to change my line and went flying. Luckily to my left and not into the water.

Ended up with bike on top of me, and my leg behind me tangled in the frame.

Banged the knee but no issues today, or I'm too hungover to notice.

Later, completely misjudged a turn into an estate and picked up loads of speed. Didn't fall but had to quickly unclip and jump off while I let the bike roll into a kerb I could never have hopped

what caused the bike to go from under you on the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Superman impression today... Someone crashed in front of me and left me nowhere to go only over the handlebars...

Thank god I didn't land on my left shoulder but still stiff n sore now... Getting some unreal bad luck this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dahat wrote: »
    Superman impression today... Someone crashed in front of me and left me nowhere to go only over the handlebars...

Thank god I didn't land on my left shoulder but still stiff n sore now... Getting some unreal bad luck this year.

Racing accident? Glad you are ok, its a hazard of the sport but never enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Inquitus wrote: »
    Racing accident? Glad you are ok, its a hazard of the sport but never enjoyable.

Yeah, racing accident, one of those things but pretty annoyed still.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

what caused the bike to go from under you on the canal?

Along there there's 2 tracks with grass in the middle. What I thought was a tuft of grass was either a mound or concealing a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I came off the bike yesterday. I was heading down a rocky bit of the White loop in the Ballyhoura's. I went over one rock that launched the front wheel sideways. Then the front wheel slid off the wet rock it landed on into a proper hole. The front wheel stopped but the rest of the bike didn't. I went over the handlebars kinda sideways and landed in the dirt with the bike on me.

Thankfully I landed on the only soft boggy bit of ground around. I picked myself up, told my mate to stop laughing and finished off the loop. I did slow down a snot after that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

Ever get mesmerized lookin' at the front tire? I did that cycled strayed into a skip lol.

Advertisement