Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Ever get mesmerized lookin' at the front tire? I did that cycled strayed into a skip lol.

Sorry I actually laughed it loud there :pac:

I have been mesmerized by the wheel in front of me alright, and been surprised to learn I was suddenly going uphill :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Ever get mesmerized lookin' at the front tire? I did that cycled strayed into a skip lol.

Yup, ended up tasting a Qashqai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Old Dublin Road opp. John of God's, slope down onto the N11 inbound. Came around the corner this morning to find a pedestrian walking towards me on the slope (he could have used the steps). Had his face in his mobile phone and his ears plugged in. Railing on one side, wall on the other and no room to avoid him unless he stepped to one side - didn't see me or hear me despite my yelling. Hit the brakes but couldn't stop in time. He partly side stepped at the last second. Struck him and went over the handle bars, mainly due to my braking. Various cuts and bruises but my back is severely strained!

He was completely unharmed.

When will people learn that roads/paths and mobile phones do not mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

homer911 wrote: »
    Old Dublin Road opp. John of God's, slope down onto the N11 inbound. Came around the corner this morning to find a pedestrian walking towards me on the slope (he could have used the steps). Had his face in his mobile phone and his ears plugged in. Railing on one side, wall on the other and no room to avoid him unless he stepped to one side - didn't see me or hear me despite my yelling. Hit the brakes but couldn't stop in time. He partly side stepped at the last second. Struck him and went over the handle bars, mainly due to my braking. Various cuts and bruises but my back is severely strained!

He was completely unharmed.

When will people learn that roads/paths and mobile phones do not mix!
    You wouldn't mind the few cuts and bruises, anything with the back is a worry though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

16:05 Thursday 5 July

Just taken the youngest out on a roadspin on our holidsy in Cornwall.

Got back to the house and turning into the driveway, which was covered in gravel in places which I was trying to avoid. Next thing I new the front wheel was sliding away from me as it had found a particularly sandy hollow.

Came down with a hell of a clout into the gravel which itself was on top of tarmac.

Fortunately my arm and leg took the brunt of the fall. Even though my head did not hit there felt like one hell of a rattle inside it as the shockwaves went through my body

Anyway my son took great pleasure out of seeing me prone on the deck. I'm blaming him for it all as I had taken a sharper turn the normal into the driveway as he was just ahead of me....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beasty falling off a bike? someone note the date, this is a first...

I hope mini Beast got a pic of you like any reasonable child :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nee wrote: »
    I hope mini Beast got a pic of you like any reasonable child :pac:

No chance - wee Beasties do not get smartphones until they understand where the boundaries lie and pictures of me on the deck are well beyond such boundaries

Anyway, I've exported his road bike to Cornwall, so he needs a new one in Ireland - he knows where his interests lie on these matters....

Beasty wrote: »
    No chance - wee Beasties do not get smartphones until they understand where the boundaries lie and pictures of me on the deck are well beyond such boundaries

Anyway, I've exported his road bike to Cornwall, so he needs a new one in Ireland - he knows where his interests lie on these matters....

Just the regulation pointing and laughing then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

May bank holiday weekend two years ago after a plurality of pints. Broke my shoulder. A sore dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Came of the bike last week, a young lad decided to cross the road in front of me without looking to see what was coming, clipped him with my handle bars and ended up in a ditch. Broken collarbone for my troubles!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Came off at 40kph this morning after the night shift. No helmet and lesson learned. 9 staples and a couple of cracked ribs and a ton of grazes. Bad pothole dip just before a shore between exit 4 and 3 on the N4 in the bus lane heading to town sent me over the bars

If any of the two cyclists are on here that called the ambulance and helped me out im eternally grateful. Will never not wear a helmet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Came off at 40kph this morning after the night shift. No helmet and lesson learned. 9 staples and a couple of cracked ribs and a ton of grazes. Bad pothole dip just before a shore between exit 4 and 3 on the N4 in the bus lane heading to town sent me over the bars

If any of the two cyclists are on here that called the ambulance and helped me out im eternally grateful. Will never not wear a helmet again.

Hope you recover fully, looking at the would you were very lucky in an unlucky way.

Any concussion after it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Came off in a triathlon (sorry) last Saturday...weather was atrocious and most of the field didn't finish due to the cold, I had to have a cool story though so decided to cycle over road paint, on a downhill at 40/45kph and do a few tumbles. Bike and I must've travelled about 10/15 metres by the time we stopped moving.
    On the tri bike (sorry :pac: ) so bike seems to have just skidded along the road on the bars and pedal as left pedal/bars seem to have taken all the damage, can't see anything on the frame.
    Just a couple of hairline fractures in my hand, some gross looking deep cuts on my arms, bruises on my legs and a nice scratch from the chain ring for me.

I mean, 60% of the field was going to DNF anyway, so I had to make my DNF stand out. :pac:

First crash in over 5 years, that was well overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

dahat wrote:
    Hope you recover fully, looking at the would you were very lucky in an unlucky way.

dahat wrote:
    Any concussion after it?

No no signs of a concussion just the body thats banged up. Should be back on the bike by the end of next week all things going well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No no signs of a concussion just the body thats banged up. Should be back on the bike by the end of next week all things going well. :)

Good stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jaysus, i hope you lads aren't contagious. usually this thread is a slow burner.
    good to hear you're both (relatively!) OK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They say things come in threes right? :pac:

I got back out for 25k this eve. Winced before I hit each bump as the shockwaves up to the grazes on my arms hurt more than anything. The huge amount of surface water on the day saved me from too much road rash though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Last Thursday night. It was raining and I was trying to make a tight turn onto a path. The kerb was slippy and I was going very slow and the tyre slid down the kerb and unsettled the bike and sort of put me off. I managed to get untangled enough not to go down with the bike but somehow twisted my knee on the leg I didn't land on. Confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

December, for me.
    Came down a hill to a large round about, was carrying too much speed, I got half way round the round about and then the front tyre washed out and down I went. Conditions were very wet, I should have known better.
    Ripped my shorts, few scratches on the bike and I had cuts and grazes but they healed up quickly.

I was wearing a lid but I don't think my head hit the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If a pothole did that to you then the council owes you money, speak to a solicitor.

Not necessarily. If they were aware of it but had not fixed it, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Two weeks ago on the Royal Canal, one of my companions got a wheel in a rut and came off. I looked back to see what had happened, got my wheel in a rut and came off too!...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Two weeks ago on the Royal Canal, one of my companions got a wheel in a rut and came off. I looked back to see what had happened, got my wheel in a rut and came off too!...

Oh no! Were you ok? I had a little giggle...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I was grand. Mind you, 105km of Canal/Barrow towpath took a lot out of me so I only managed 300k of the planned Trench Eyre 400.

cdaly_ wrote: »

This is precisely what sent me off last I fell in May. I managed the worst bits of the royal canal to that point no problem and was coming to my turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Time to renew my membership to this club. Cycling home yesterday and I was stopped at the lights beside the Gate Bar in Crumlin. I noticed I was angled towards the car beside me, so i went to move, complete failure. I started to topple over towards the car, couldnt unclip, tried to throw myself to the left, it seemed like it was going to work, it didn’t, down I went trying not to hit the car. At least I succeeded at something.

The driver and passenger did check if I was ok which I was, pure embarrassed though. Few cosmetic scratches to a pedal and rear derailleur though.

I have it on video too, but havent watched it back yet. If it’s comical enough I’ll throw it up here when I do.

Already detailed mine in the Resevoir dog spin, but i'll honour this thread.

Clipped the kerb of the cycle lane at speed on the N7. Didn't notice it changed from a level lane, with painted lines to a raised cycle lane. very angry with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

First fall in a long time. Race blade mudguard jammed in front wheel as going through lights on N11 at Stillorgan. Not quite over the bars but rear wheel lifted up throwing me to the ground just as traffic coming straight towards me.
    Managed to get up no problem, sheer embarrassment the main motivator. No major damage to bike, except mudguard broken obviously.
    Thought was fine but now wrist is very sore. Off for X-ray in morning if no improvement by morning.

Oh well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Alanbt wrote: »
    First fall in a long time. Race blade mudguard jammed in front wheel as going through lights on N11 at Stillorgan. Not quite over the bars but rear wheel lifted up throwing me to the ground just as traffic coming straight towards me.
    Managed to get up no problem, sheer embarrassment the main motivator. No major damage to bike, except mudguard broken obviously.
    Thought was fine but now wrist is very sore. Off for X-ray in morning if no improvement by morning.

Oh well

my sorest fall was a small one. took a few hours before it kicked in. done ligaments in my wrist. it can be very sore trust me

Advertisement