Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Just over a month ago,I was getting the MTB out for the first time since Christmas,Had just got the tyre pressures right,and was checking the gears were still indexed properly,went for a blast up the road for about 500m and back going through all the gears. There is a little speed bump type structure left at the top of my driveway by the council last time they resurfaced the road,I usually get a nice big jump going over it and land on the downhill part of the driveway,which leads to where the cars are parked,though mine wasn't parked in the usual place because I was putting the cycle rack on it. Heard a clunk when I landed,so looked behind me,Next thing I know i was laying on the ground having nailed the front bumper of my car. The clunk was my bottle settling into the holder properly.

Worst thing about that is now my car looks like i've hit a cyclist,a scuff from the turning tyre on the rub strip of the bumper,and there was a rubber mark on the painted bit that i rubbed off.

Over cooking wheelies when clipped in isn't a great idea either,you end up in a tangled mess on your back with the bike riding you,and Murphys law dictates that it will happen with an audience

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

came across a chap who'd had a nasty fall descending cruagh on sat morning. he was being attended to by a few people so we moved on, but it looked a bit more serious than a spot of road rash. hope he came away from it ok. lot of greasy mulchy stuff on the roads around there. we were heavy on the brakes for the rest of the spin that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I got knocked off the bike last week by a motorist in Ballybough (near Dublin city center), not damage to me or the bike but she fecked off until I caught her at the next lights.

Other than that there's been once or twice when I've made a balls of clipping out and took a slow tumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What did she say when you caught her, Oh, I didn't see you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Falling off yer bikes and hurting yourselves, Hah!
    Last time I hit the deck the road picked itself up and limped home!;)

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What did she say when you caught her, Oh, I didn't see you ?

Not even an apology, which was most annoying. She barely looked at me, and as I'm not a hothead and wasn't hurt we both went our separate ways.

I just hope she drives with a little more care and consideration in future as this happened in bright sunlight and I'm fairly visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

That grit scum on the road is a menace alright. Also a total pain in the balls as I have to clean the chain and the cassette so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Twig / branch got wrapped around my back wheel. Wouldn't have minded except it was in a grim industrial estate in Dublin, miles from the nearest tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

+1 on the Cruagh descent, very greasy - suffered a few scary moments last Sunday. The off camber bends do not help, I think I preferred that road before they resurfaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Last December, front wheel went and I hit the deck, and bounced, landed again upside down with bike still attached. Almost all my body weight landed on my thumb, tore ligaments, and messed up the thumb/wrist connection, still not right at all.

After reading above, and another posters woes (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94219679&postcount=6045) I have bought a new pair of Vittoria Pave tyres to replace my Conti GP400S2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

About three years ago on a thinkbike MTB spin in ticknock. Managed to go over the handlebars going downhill in one of the wooded bits. No particular damage, though managed to arrive home covered in mud and blood much to the delight of my evil offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Before Christmas my commuter hybrid was flat when i went out in the morning, decided to go in on my road bike rather than steal one of the kid's bikes. That at least avoids the indignity of having to lower the saddle on one of my teenage son's bikes. However it turned out it was going to lead to an indignity from another source.

I changed from my runners into my (spd) clip in shoes. Flew in to town much more quickly than i normally do on hybrid. Started to think that maybe I should use the road bike every day.

On the way home I was cycling up the canal bike lane and got the junction near Charlemont luas station. I was planning to turn left, the "cycle" lights had turned green just as I approached. A jogger travelling in towards town decided to run across my path, I braked, but at least I had the presence of mind to reach over and grab the pedestrian lights pole before having a slow motion crash.

Somehow I missed.

In front of a large crowd of pedestrians and commuters who were about to cross over the road. The jogger was concerned, helped me up, to crown the indignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

December last, front wheel slid. Before that was about 30 years ago. Cycling to mass to perform my duties as an alterboy. Holding my alterboy garb in a plastic bag on the handlebars. It want into the front wheel & I shot over the handlebars. The rest of the bike followed. Crossbar split the back of my head & I woke up a couple of minutes later. Needless to say the mass was not the same that morning without my alterboying talents!

Oh ya, did the fall of shame with the clipless pedals too :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

About 18 months ago - climbing a small incline and lifted my arse from the saddle. Went to push down and a crank arm sheared away throwing me forward and over the bars.

Bruises, scratches and a fabulous bit of road rash on my forearm and over one knee - didn't hurt nearly as much as the bill for a new crankset!

........oh, and last summer I cycled into the back of a bus I thought I was going to pull out of my way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Every time I go out on the trails !! Still learning

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

snollup wrote: »
    Oh ya, did the fall of shame with the clipless pedals too :eek:

Ah I forgot about the clipless falls! Was cycling back from Greystones last summer ascending the hill faster than some friends. I stopped a bit farther one than them and went to put my foot down but didn't unclip properly. They found it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ah I forgot about the clipless falls! Was cycling back from Greystones last summer ascending the hill faster than some friends. I stopped a bit farther one than them and went to put my foot down but didn't unclip properly. They found it hilarious.

My only fall of shame was in the Phoenix Park in full view of a line of stopped traffic!

I also snapped a chain once going up a hill and had the presence of mind to fall to the soft verge.........into a puddle of silage effluent! I told herself to come get me and bring water and plastic bags.........

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

last April on my daily commute bike went from under me going over a manhole ,luckily enough the cars behind me swerved and missed my head ,ended up breaking my arm in two places.

But the important thing I took the blunt of the fall and the bike was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Last week mountain biking, coming down a very steep incline, clipped a rock and tumbled down a drop of about 8 feet, landed on nice soft grass between two rocks. Also fell the week before that (bruised kneecap) and the week before that, come to think of it, I probably fall at least once a week, otherwise I'm not pushing myself!
    Never fallen off the road bike though, but have experienced pretty bad road rash racing down a mountain road back when I was 16.

The worst would have been last March, when I came over the handlebars and damaged my right hand pretty badly, swelled up so much I couldn't see my knuckles, had to sit out a football match because of it, luckily my office job allows me to batter myself to a pulp and still manage to get in to work to get paid, as long as I can operate a keyboard I'm good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

This thread reminds me of how much I don't want to go mountain biking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

OldBean wrote: »

Ah it's not that bad, more that I'm really sh1te at it than it being bad for my health. There's loads of fun you can have without getting into a situation where you'll hurt yourself, just avoid steep drops, rocks, and aim for the ditches when your luck runs out!

The most fun you can have falling down.

OldBean wrote: »

Don't try my other sport so ~ Judo, its all about falling :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Came off,sorry taken out, on the Junior Tour sportive the week before last. Had a fall in a CX race in January but they don't count.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jawgap wrote: »
    My only fall of shame was in the Phoenix Park in full view of a line of stopped traffic!

I did it outside the papal cross car park. I managed to grab a bollard and did a really slow fireman-pole slide down the bollard in front of a group of work mates I was meeting for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Two weeks ago. Been cycling to work a few years and this was my first spill since I was a kid.

Dark road narrowed so I was popping up on the footpath. Didn't lift front wheel enough and it came out from under me.

Slow motion fall landed on my side on a wet pavement and was well rugged up. A bit of skin off the knee and a jolt to the arm.

Bike 100% fine. Knee repairing. Pride dented.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Last November on the way up to the mast on Mt. Leinster stopped to catch me breath and when I tried to restart I didn't fully appreciate just how steep the section I was on was and fell on me arse to the side I'd clipped in on. Very sore but bike was ok, and no-one saw, so all good!

Rb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

8th Jan front wheel slipped out from under me on a manhole and my chin hit the ground first. Happened so fast and I think I lost consciousness and partially lost my hearing in one ear for about 24 hours. Ended up in the emergency department with a cut and black and blue face. Thankfully no bones broken in my face but I have one in my wrist and the only damage to the bike was a broken front light fitting, couple of minor scrapes and a bent pedal. Had concussion for two weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Last may, right into the Royal Canal. Didn't fancy the speed bump up ahead so opted to go around the small often dry track around it. Not dry, wheel just went and I went in, the bike didn't. Got myself out asap. Noone around to see it on the one hand I'm thankful for as it may have looked hilarious, but on the other hand I can't swim.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

02/03/14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Beasty wrote: »
    02/03/14

How long did it take to fully recover, it was a really bad injury during a race if I recall?

Advertisement