Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was just thinking that - the frame got a soft landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Beasty wrote: »
    Look on the bright side. Fractured bones will usually repair themselves - a fractured frame is often terminal

Not so sure I agree with that mentality, but a fracture and a damaged bike would be a bit too much to take for sure!

Friday, coming downhill taking a bend. Hit loose gravel on the road. Was low anyway for the bend so only some road rash............

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just realised some of what I typed made no sense. Wrong words completely. But yes, I guess, the plus side is the frame is fine.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just realised some of what I typed made no sense. Wrong words completely. But yes, I guess, the plus side is the frame is fine.

Made prefect pense two me.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

New clips on MTB, out at the weekend and several slow mo falls. One into a sticky, mucky, forest puddle and another one of which had me fall sideways off the trail in Derroura, into a stream ended upside down with legs in the air and bike still attached.

No damage felt at time (ice cold stream running down my back) but work up Monday with a stiff lower back and bruise presumably from landing on the rocks. Grand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

Was running late to go and see inside out with my girlfriend. I had recently decided to keep my helmet in the shed and as I was leaving I didn't clip the straps of my helmet in. Was going no hands down a hill while doing the straps and didn't realize how quickly I was approaching the steel fence at the bottom of the hill. Three stitches on my neck, an imprint of a spike on my cheek, and one broken bike.

I feel incredibly stupid and lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Had a fall sunday 9 days ago, was cycling to my Mum's place for Sunday lunch, not paying attention hit a really awful surface and the wabble took me down, never had it happen before. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and I landed on my side, bike between my legs on the footpath instead of out into traffic.

Had a big bruise on both thighs, a scraped knee and elbow and my hands were a bit cut up.

Also wtisted my ankle but it wasn't serious at all.

Decided to rest the ankle for a week after a physio session on Monday (for something else) when he told me to not cycle for about a week.

Today was going to be my first proper spin since, put on the bibs, put on the long sleeve, had the helmet in my hand, wandered into the kitchen to fill the biddons in my bare feet. Decided to lock the kitchen window and on turning to leave the kitchen I stood right onto a piece of glass. Right into the bottom of my bit toe.

It was a piece I missed of the bottom of a spice jar I dropped the week before.

Had to wrap it in a sock, back into normal clothes and off to the GP's office to get the nurse to look at it.

Thankfully it wasn't long and it was a clean cut but the piece of glass went pretty deep so it bled a lot.

No stitches needed but I have steristrips and a dressing and can't put much pressure on it for 4 or 5 days. She said to leave the dressing on until saturday and see how its doing then.

So I guess I'll be waiting until Saturday before finally going on that spin!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've been biking since 2004, commuting in 5 different cities and 4 different countries, averaging 5000-8000km/year.
    I've fallen off on my own once, been knocked off twice (in both cases I was found not at fault) and been rear-ended without falling off once.

The most recent accident was in May, I got hit by a gravel truck that entered a T-junction where I was already there. I got 8 stitches and a broken finger, and the bike was completely crushed by the truck. Hit and run as well, but the police caught him

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrMuscles96

Didn't fall but cycled into the side edge of a signpost when I had to avoid a dublin woman stepped out in front off me asking for directions. I cut my head and ironically enough the place she was looking for was written on the signpost...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I've been biking since 2004, commuting in 5 different cities and 4 different countries, averaging 5000-8000km/year.
    I've fallen off on my own once, been knocked off twice (in both cases I was found not at fault) and been rear-ended without falling off once.

The most recent accident was in May, I got hit by a gravel truck that entered a T-junction where I was already there. I got 8 stitches and a broken finger, and the bike was completely crushed by the truck. Hit and run as well, but the police caught him

Jesus Christ, you were very lucky there! I witnessed a cyclist being run over and dragged for 1/2 mile under a gravel truck when I was a kid. Never forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

About to do my first ever cycle in clipless pedals, I'll report back with the inevitable when I'm home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

pconn062 wrote: »
    About to do my first ever cycle in clipless pedals, I'll report back with the inevitable when I'm home! :)

Survived, almost intact. Had one spot where I had to stop fairly suddenly and couldn't get the cleat out, managed to just save a fall in time. Was on a quiet country road so no one noticed thankfully! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Wednesday evening dusting of the cx cobwebs in a field across the road from home. Creamed myself trying to jump a tractor wheel rut. Over the handlebars and a nice bruise on my right hip to remind me of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

GEO147 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, you were very lucky there! I witnessed a cyclist being run over and dragged for 1/2 mile under a gravel truck when I was a kid. Never forgot!

No shít - I had the good gut instinct to jump forward when it happened rather than be sucked under but still, those big wheels didn't miss my head by much! The bike was made of steel, it dragged under for about 50m and there's not much left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Last weekend. Wet roads heading through town on a slight downhill when a car coming towards me pulled accross in to go into a carpark. Hit the brakes to skid away and tried to bunny hop onto the footpath, Fail! Still a bit wobbly when I tried to jump and clipped the kerb, went flying down the footpath sliding on my shoulder.

On the brightside, avoided the car and only need some new kit. Just a few scratches and bruises and the bike is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Today on the luas tracks again. Just got road rash on my left knee and the right pedal ripped my right shin. I think I'll be walking across the las tracks in future. I was taking it real easy. Although I was crossing at about 75 degrees. Not a scratch on the bike thankfully. I think my ego is more hurt then my body!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Couple of months ago. Approaching the junction at the top of Santry heading into town and got some motorist on my right who was taking the left slip road across to the M50 roundabout and either didn't see me or did and decided to drive over me. Anyway, my attention was suddenly taken by this car swiftly bearing in on me from the right. I had to swerve left off my course to avoid being roadkill while bellowing to warn him.

Anyway, When I looked back in front, I was off my course and heading for the little traffic island with a sign in the middle of it. Had to make that horrible decision to put effort into braking or turning, so decided to just keep straight and hit the anchors. Managed to shave off most of my speed before I mounted the kerb of the island bashed straight on into the sign head on. Bit of scraping on my left hand but other than that, just bruised dignity.

The f***r that caused it didn't even stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 P1nkSheep

Just over 10 years ago. Was cycling home from work and think I hit a pothole. Was very dazed and my wrist hurt, walked back to work in the hope someone was still there to give me a lift home, thankfully there was as I worked in the middle of nowhere and was just 16 YO at time and pretty shaken up.
    When I got home I couldnt bend my arm, and saw I had a busted lip and a few scratches dwn my face.
    Got a lift to the Drs who told me to go to A& E asap. I'd broke my elbow and still get jip from it now. Am only just trying to get back into cycling now as it really knocked my confidence. Have had a few rides latey and have really enjoyed it :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Today at the Swords CX race - just at the turn where the OH was spectating :-)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

colm18 wrote: »
    Today at the Swords CX race - just at the turn where the OH was spectating :-)

Only the once today. That's pretty impressive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I think I averaged two falls a lap at Swords CX race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Haven't fallen off in over a year now, but snow is on the way soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

About 10 years ago as a young teenager. I thought it would be a good idea to cycle with my right hand on the left handlebar and vice versa.

I was wrong. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

One time I was sent off to collect a phone for a fella who left it on grass in a park about to be cut.He told me to hurry so I flew down the road as fast as I could. Coming down a hill my speedo said I was doing about 25km/h. I went to pull the brakes at the bottom for the bend but nothing:eek: I was going to fast to turn so I went straight into a load of 4 ft thistles, through them and into the River:(. Surprisingly though I felt no pain but I broke my phone and buckled both wheels of the bike:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Shannon757 wrote: »
    One time I was sent off to collect a phone for a fella who left it on grass in a park about to be cut.He told me to hurry so I flew down the road as fast as I could. Coming down a hill my speedo said I was doing about 25km/h. I went to pull the brakes at the bottom for the bend but nothing:eek: I was going to fast to turn so I went straight into a load of 4 ft thistles, through them and into the River:(. Surprisingly though I felt no pain but I broke my phone and buckled both wheels of the bike:o

Please tell me you got the guys phone at least? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Please tell me you got the guys phone at least? Lol

Yes I did. The lawnmower went right over it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A bizarre one: in the Giant Store showroom. After a long wait, it appeared that the bike they'd ordered from me had arrived, and I hared over to the shop bearing lights, locks, tracker device, etc so they could set it up.

The bike was produced, but it wasn't the model they'd ordered for me. (It seems possible that this model doesn't actually exist in my size; Giant Dublin have now been trying to find it for a few months, and when last heard of were going to try in the Netherlands, and failing that in Taiwan…)

But the salesman said "Here, at least this time this is the right size. Hop up and give it a spin around the room and see how it fits."

So up I got and set off, feeling a little wobbly at first because this bicycle is half the weight of my bike and a friskier and less rangy shape.

As I cycled through the door from one part of the salesroom to the other, weaving between displays, the salesman called something out - probably "How d'you like it?" - and I went to take my foot off the pedal and turn around to answer.

A perfect storm hit - the narrow door, the different grip of the pedals, the fact I was turning around in a strait space - my foot stuck on the pedal and I tumbled slowly over and hit the display. I was wearing a hoodie and a padded jacket, but even so the display managed to chomp into my arm - it's only now healed, four weeks later.

And nary a sign of the bike.

Incidentally, having more or less given up on ever getting this - a Thrive 1, which I like the idea of partly because it has disc brakes - I started answering ads for secondhand Dash bikes: recommended by various boardsies, this is the earlier version of the Thrive, though without disc brakes. No answer from any of the sellers I've contacted on DoneDeal with the initial question "Do you have the shop receipt?"

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

It was around Christmas 2006, going around a corner in Dublin city centre and the back wheel slipped out. Luckily it was really early in the morning and there was no traffic around. That said, if there was traffic, I probably wouldn't have been taking it as fast. I tore up my hip and elbow a bit and, in hindsight, must have cracked a rib. Since that incident, I've realised that there's no bonus points for cornering fast. I can always catch up after a turn :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Last year when I first started cycling to work. Thin front tyre went into a crack in a badly maintained road and pulled the front of the bike out from under me.

I knew I was headed for a fall so I hopped off the bike and stumbled a few steps before falling over on my side unharmed and a little embarrassed.

Advertisement