Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh1t.

Options
  • 10-02-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'm here to plead for the unbanning of the humble sh1t.
    It's a commonly used descriptive word for all sorts of things and far from offensive,plus it's a pain for people to find ways around it.

Even it's cousins sho1te and sh1te have been banished from the Boards version of the English language.
    Nobody has ever been offended by sh1t,it's a perfectly natural substance,it comes out the rear of all animals.
    Please allow people to have sh1t.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kneemos wrote: »
    Nobody has ever been offended by sh1t,it's a perfectly natural substance,it comes out the rear of all animals.

Nobody?...thats a pretty massive claim.
    Pretty sure media company's have had complaints about its usage in atleast one country in the world :pac:

For the record I personally don't think its a very offensive word, but there's a difference between saying "a dog **** in the woods" and "you're a **** head".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nobody?...thats a pretty massive claim.
    Pretty sure media company's have had complaints about its usage in atleast one country in the world :pac:

For the record I personally don't think its a very offensive word, but there's a difference between saying "a dog **** in the woods" and "you're a **** head".

But what's the point when someone can just say "you're a sh1thead" anyway.
    Prick, arsehole, dickhead, twat, mong, bellend... There's any amount of insulting words that are as bad or worse than sh*t that get by the swear filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just say faeces instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

ploppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

But what's the point when someone can just say "you're a sh1thead" anyway.

Why waste a valuable 1?

Shithead

ABC....... It's easy as 123.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why waste a valuable 1?

Shithead

ABC....... It's easy as 123.

Because it's quicker than changing the font size...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

My intention was to support your point. Albeit, using a different method. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why not just implement the swear filter for forums that want to implement it?

It's the most pointless thing in the world on a forum where people regularly circumvent it and face no repercussions for doing so.

If it's used in the process of attacking someone then fair enough, action that.. but far more people are 'abused' without the use of any banned words.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is it not the case that by having certain words censored, Boards doesn't get hit by PCs which have some sort of parental controls implemented, and therefore can still be viewed on school/college computers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Thought it was down to a vbulletin thing.. But as boards moved away from that shouldn't be a problem anymore to get rid..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

just use the [nofilter] tag

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thought it was down to a vbulletin thing.. But as boards moved away from that shouldn't be a problem anymore to get rid..
    Boards still runs on vBulletin (most of it does anyway)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I for one, am a fan of the word "excrement". I actually feel more intelligent just saying it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

28064212 wrote: »
    Boards still runs on vBulletin (most of it does anyway)

Vbulletin (at least used to) allow you to specify words to filter.

You can even use it to filter one word into another.

For instance, I was on a site once that filtered that filthy phrase, 'have sex', into the soul crushing 'baby-dance'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Das Kitty wrote: »
    For instance, I was on a site once that filtered that filthy phrase, 'have sex', into the soul crushing 'baby-dance'.
    I can see that giving some odd results in the Rugby forum. :pac:

"I'd baby-danceton in the team assuming he's 100%".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Vbulletin (at least used to) allow you to specify words to filter.

You can even use it to filter one word into another.

Wasn't the issue that you could only have the filter on or off globally and couldn't allow it to be an option for the user? My memory might be failing me on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's binary for the entire site, we can't pick and choose where it's on and off.

Honestly, if we removed it, I know there'd be so many idiots who wouldn't be able to help themselves that we'd end up with a new post in here every week whinging about how they were banned for using words that some nazi power hungry mod personally dislikes and "so it's clearly a biased conspiracy to single me, Joe Troll, out as being some sort of monster when all I said was fuck 20 times in a 50 word post" etc...

It's here, it's probably not going away, we're probably not going to slap you on the wrist for bypassing it once or twice, but the reasons for having it far outweigh the reasons for not having it as far as I'm concerned.

OK, Dav, but why sh*t and not the multitude of other swears that aren't filtered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I don't follow - are we missing a large chunk of profanities that I'm too old to know? :) Feel free to pm me with what you mean.

Dav wrote: »
    I don't follow - are we missing a large chunk of profanities that I'm too old to know? :) Feel free to pm me with what you mean.

Prick, arsehole, dickhead, twat, mong, bellend... There's any amount of insulting words that are as bad or worse than sh*t that get by the swear filter.

Please don't filter cockwomble, Dav.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Scunthorpe.

Just testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dav wrote: »

You're not alone Dav, I had to try and explain to one Admin on a popular American technology forum a few years back that 'feck' is not considered profanity in Ireland. He had thought I meant that other word, and this was long before the days of Father Ted :D

Personally speaking, I'm actively trying to reduce my use of salty language as your message tends to lose it's impact when it's peppered with profanities, and I've learned that it doesn't reflect well on the intellect of the user.

I try to abide by the "don't be a dick" rule, so I would normally see profanity as unnecessary.

I've learned that it doesn't reflect well on the intellect of the user.

:pac::pac::pac:

I must be thick as sh1t so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

:pac::pac::pac:

I must be thick as sh1t so. :)

:D

Well I just meant it takes less effort to think of another way to convey the same sentiment, than is required to bypass the swear filter :o

ps. That word substitution filter you mentioned earlier was also used on Widemouth, where typing in 'pink sock' was substituted with 'makes a cup of tea' :pac:

I think it was done here for April Fool's Day one year, where they subbed "swimming" for "dogging", and a thread called "Best Swimming Beaches" provided a lot of juvenile fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another forum I use automatically changes 'Macbeth' to 'The Scottish Play'. Always thought it was a great touch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Could we have the profanity filter replace the word 'hell' with 'hey diddly heck', for a day for the craic.

We could call it Ned Flanders day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I find the swear filter really annoying, especially when you're trying to talk about ****ake mushrooms. Damn it >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Even with the proper ii spelling? Shiitake mushrooms?

[edit]
    That works ok!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Linking to anything with a swear word in it is a pain

Things can get caught in the cross fire too, like poor aul Danny ****tu (Shittu)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement