Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare Daly TD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Is that a joke? Are you suggesting Gardaí should break the law and falsely imprison a person because you feel it is the right thing to do? Or are you suggesting they should let Clare Daly off with drink driving just in case she feels hard done by?

You still haven't answered my question. Would a Fine Gael TD be treated the same? Reminder here;

Would this have happened to say.....Alan Shatter, Phil Hogan, Enda Kenny?

http://claredaly.ie/statement-from-clare-daly-td/
    I was arrested and handcuffed on the side of the road. I objected to being handcuffed and stated that I would willingly go to the Garda station.
    When I was released a female Garda told me to ‘come back when you are sober’.
    I was brought in a patrol car to the Kilmainham Garda Station – within 300 metres distance. At one point I was placed in a cell on my own.
    I have received the official result of the test on the urine sample provided and the result is 45 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine, which is 33% below the allowable limit – 67 milligrammes

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dont-you-know-who-i-am-what-shatter-said-to-garda-29300483.html
    An informed source has revealed the garda who stopped Mr Shatter felt he was not fully co-operative.

She was also asked by the then Fine Gael frontbench spokesman: "Don't you know who I am?"
    A GARDA report filed on the incident in which Alan Shatter was stopped at a drink-drive checkpoint has gone missing, the Irish Independent has learnt.
    Mr Shatter took the breathalyser bag and blew a quick puff, which was not sufficient to inflate the device.
    He is said to have again provided a quick puff, which was equally insufficient to inflate the device.

The garda told him that he hadn't done it properly and Mr Shatter is alleged to have replied: "Check your law book, it's in the Constitution, you cannot stop me, I am going."

Looks like the good folk in Dublin Fingal think the same. Political policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You still haven't answered my question. Would a Fine Gael TD be treated the same? Reminder here;

Would this have happened to say.....Alan Shatter, Phil Hogan, Enda Kenny?

http://claredaly.ie/statement-from-clare-daly-td/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dont-you-know-who-i-am-what-shatter-said-to-garda-29300483.html

Looks like the good folk in Dublin Fingal think the same. Polticial policing.

I did answer. I said yes. It was the first word in my reply. If Shatter had not invoked Dáil privilege he would have had the same treatment as Daly. If Daly had invoked Dáil privilege she would have had the same treatment as Shatter.

I did answer. I said yes. It was the first word in my reply. If Shatter had not invoked Dáil privilege he would have had the same treatment as Daly. If Daly had invoked Dáil privilege she would have had the same treatment as Shatter.

So you're saying Shatter knows more "tricks" :rolleyes:

Ok let me rephrase, on the assumption that a FG TD is not coming from the Dail, would the same treatment be dished out to a FG TD 300m from a Garda station?
    Not should; would

Ok let me rephrase, on the assumption that a FG TD is not coming from the Dail, would the same treatment be dished out to a FG TD 300m from a Garda station?
    Not should; would

Yes.

Yes.

I don't agree. I believe, even though I cannot prove it, that it was political policing. Designed to discredit. I thought the dawn raid on Paul Murphy by 6 Gardaí was the same.

And I voted FG for 20 years but I will never do so again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Not should; would

legal facts presented = Ignores
    police procedure explained in detail = ignores
    answering specific questions = ignores
    daly presents inaccurate arguments on radio=ignores

is there anything that the police can actually do right or that daly can actually do wrong in your opinion ?

Do you know the difference between a argument and a discussion/debate ?

In one you uncover the facts and make a informed decision in the other you take a side and stick with it regardless of what is said.

do you see where im going here ?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    legal facts presented = Ignores
    police procedure explained in detail = ignores
    answering specific questions = ignores
    daly presents inaccurate arguments on radio=ignores

is there anything that the police can actually do right or that daly can actually do wrong in your opinion ?

Do you know the difference between a argument and a discussion/debate ?

In one you uncover the facts and make a informed decision in the other you take a side and stick with it regardless of what is said.

do you see where im going here ?

No. Enjoy your "procedures" though. I've made my point.

By the way, you replied and COMPLETELY ignored the question. At least Setanta answered.

I don't agree. I believe, even though I cannot prove it, that it was political policing. Designed to discredit. I thought the dawn raid on Paul Murphy by 6 Gardaí was the same.

And I voted FG for 20 years but I will never do so again.

Whereas I have seen many people with no connection to politics go through the exact same procedures as Daly, Murphy and Collins over the last decade so it seems to me that you think they should be subject to some special treatment because of their position and political views.

No. Enjoy your "procedures" though. I've made my point.

By the way, you replied and COMPLETELY ignored the question. At least Setanta answered.

Well kid you weren't asking me were you ?, i was just pointing out that your question was answered by someone else .

dont know why i bothered really . your attitude towards crime is fairly clear given that you are upset about criminals being woke up in the morning by the gardai lol how terrible for them. how daly must be frustrated that she wasnt involved in that debacle too

how do you feel about her ill informed and nonsensical rant about the SCC btw ?

your attitude towards crime is fairly clear given that you are upset about criminals being woke up in the morning by the gardai lol how terrible for them.

Bingo. There it is, just there. I got you.
    Paul Murphy TD, the criminal that frequents the Dáil on a regular basis needed a dawn raid and 6 Gardaí to detain him. The criminal is still walking the streets and attending our parliament. Will he re-offend you?
    That'll be all. ;):P

• Advertisement

Bingo. There it is, just there. I got you.
    Paul Murphy TD, the criminal that frequents the Dáil on a regular basis needed a dawn raid and 6 Gardaí to detain him.
    That'll be all. ;):P

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

O no he has got me lads !!!!! lol

well ive seen the videos from that incident and in my opinion there was crimes taking place . therefore the people committing those acts are criminals . ya follow ?

theres a lot of people with criminal convictions in the dail . more now than ever i think .
    drink driving and fraudsters mostly .

now whats your point ?

you forgot to answer my question btw ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just had a look at the odds over on Paddy Power, they have her as the clear favourite to top the poll in Fingal which is some going given she is a first time TD. Even James Reilly who has been at this game a long time is going to get beaten by her.

So the drink driving allegations have done nothing to stop her, the people of Fingal saw it for what it was, nothing more than a nasty Garda leak designed to sleight her reputation. It hasn't worked, if anything it has backfired.

I'd also imagine her stance on abortion has helped her stand out from the more conservative FF/FG candidates in the Fingal constituency. Fingal has a lot of young families who I'd think would be more in sync with Clare Dalys views on fatal fetal abnormalities than the other candidates policy of fudging and dodging the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yes and no. You can technically measure the number of individual user checks in a certain period by manually counting them but due to the way PULSE is operated in the stations the figure would be very inaccurate.

Clare Daly was on RTE Radio today suggesting we follow the Italian system of protecting juries and do away with the Special Criminal court.

Italian criminal courts don't use juries do they?
    It's probably easier to narrow it down to countries in Europe/Scandinavia that do have juries as we'd understand them. Most do not have juries at all or at least a jury trial as we'd recognise it.

How do you feel about anonymous juries or juries done by video link Freudian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How do you feel about anonymous juries or juries done by video link Freudian?
    It doesn't really solve the core issue.

On another thread, Al Capone was brought up as an example of securing the conviction of a notorious gangster with a jury.

What's interesting about that case is that a full two weeks before the trial began, a list came to the attention of the FBI with ten names on it, allegedly the jury on the case. Jury selection hadn't even begun for the case.

When the day of the trial came, the names of the "selected" jury exactly matched the list that had been acquired two weeks earlier. Think about the level of infiltration and corruption required by Capone to pull that one off.

In that case the judge outwitted Capone by simply changing the jury for another court's jury, but tricks that like will only work once, gangsters will and have used more malicious ways of tampering with juries.

Even where you have an anonymous jury watching over video link, there are a lot of people involved with the access to the names and the selection process. This is the core reason the SCC exists - if someone has enough connections, there aren't enough systems in the world to prevent jury tampering.

By definition the number of cases requiring the SCC is tiny, so upheaving the entire criminal justice system just to find ways to shoehorn juries into these trials seems excessive and unecessary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote: »
    It doesn't really solve the core issue.

On another thread, Al Capone was brought up as an example of securing the conviction of a notorious gangster with a jury.

What's interesting about that case is that a full two weeks before the trial began, a list came to the attention of the FBI with ten names on it, allegedly the jury on the case. Jury selection hadn't even begun for the case.

When the day of the trial came, the names of the "selected" jury exactly matched the list that had been acquired two weeks earlier. Think about the level of infiltration and corruption required by Capone to pull that one off.

In that case the judge outwitted Capone by simply changing the jury for another court's jury, but tricks that like will only work once, gangsters will and have used more malicious ways of tampering with juries.

Even where you have an anonymous jury watching over video link, there are a lot of people involved with the access to the names and the selection process. This is the core reason the SCC exists - if someone has enough connections, there aren't enough systems in the world to prevent jury tampering.

By definition the number of cases requiring the SCC is tiny, so upheaving the entire criminal justice system just to find ways to shoehorn juries into these trials seems excessive and unecessary.

awaits the "yeah but Gerry's IRA leader buddy only forgot to pay a small bit of tax" line yet again.

Good to see Clare Daly get elected again. I've a feeling she is going to have a huge influence on the repeal the 8th campaign during the next Dail term. She is one of the few TDs in there that has her finger on the pulse of what people want in respect of having a debate on abortion in cases of fatal fetal abnormalities, rape and incest. Overwhelmingly people want a referendum and then let the population decide the issue once and for all.

The only TDs I've heard saying that they don't want a referendum is newly elected FF Jack Chambers who is pro-life, FF Jimmy Dooley saying he doesn't think we need one and IIRC 14 Renua candidates also didn't want a referendum either but none of them got elected. I'm sure there is plenty more in FG/FF who don't want to allow the people to decide but they're keeping schtum for the time being.

Daly has the bit between her teeth on this one so the issue is only going to be amplified further this Dail term. Especially when she starts bringing in women who had to go to England and smuggle their deceased baby onto Irish Ferries in a shoe box into the the Dail committee to tell their stories.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-cleared-of-leaking-td-arrest-details-34721421.html

so it wasnt the gardai

yet still gsoc invaded a gardas private life for no reason wonder will they say sorry

or did clare set it up herself for a little public sympathy and general garda bashing as standard from this repellent troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-cleared-of-leaking-td-arrest-details-34721421.html

so it wasnt the gardai

yet still gsoc invaded a gardas private life for no reason wonder will they say sorry

or did clare set it up herself for a little public sympathy and general garda bashing as standard from this repellent troll

Dont you mean "it wasnt that Garda" ?

The Gardai leak to journalists every day of the week.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »

Funny how Gardaí are always guilty until found innocent. Daly was the only one who gained from the leak yet it must have been Gardaí. And of course they only caught her because they were following her, not because she doesn't bother with road signage. And she was arrested for political policing, not because she had just drank whiskey and failed to provide a sample.

Everybodys/Anybodys fault but hers eh

Funny how Gardaí are always guilty until found innocent. Daly was the only one who gained from the leak yet it must have been Gardaí. And of course they only caught her because they were following her, not because she doesn't bother with road signage. And she was arrested for political policing, not because she had just drank whiskey and failed to provide a sample.

Easy tiger, i never said they were. Do you think the Gardai dont ever leak to journalists?

Everybodys/Anybodys fault but hers eh
    :rolleyes:
    Never said that either, i just corrected your wildly inaccurate repeating of the article.
    Ever play Chinese whispers?

:rolleyes:
    Never said that either, i just corrected your wildly inaccurate repeating of the article.
    Ever play Chinese whispers?

na your grand i dont need you to correct what i mean

politician makes false allegation , disrupts and invades innocent persons life

no consequences for her at all, seem fair to you ?

na your grand i dont need you to correct what i mean

Yea, Im sure you dont mind your own innacurate reporting of what you read in the media, but others might.

politician makes false allegation , disrupts and invades innocent persons life

no consequences for her at all, seem fair to you ?

Lol, so someone releasing to the media that she was drunk driving before she even left the station was not invasion of an innocent persons life?

Go away ourra that! :pac:

• Advertisement

Lol, so someone releasing to the media that she was drunk driving before she even left the station was not invasion of an innocent persons life?
    :

You do know she was entitled to make a phone call in custody right?
    That person can call whoever they like.

Yea, Im sure you dont mind your own innacurate reporting of what you read in the media, but others might.

Go away ourra that! :pac:

Im not reporting anything just posting a link , people can read it themselves.

Turns out the person she accused of "leaking" her (lawful and completely standard ) arrest was totally innocent.

Do you thinks she will accuse the doctor next ? or the person who had anything to gain from the leak, her nasty manipulative petty self :-)

bubblypop wrote: »
    You do know she was entitled to make a phone call in custody right?
    That person can call whoever they like.

I don't know that, I've never been arrested so i wouldn't know the procedure.

Are you saying she reported herself to the media?

Im not reporting anything just posting a link , people can read it themselves.

Yea, but you didnt did you? You posted the link and then said "so it wasnt the gardai" . That's not quite true is it? :)

Turns out the person she accused of "leaking" her (lawful and completely standard ) arrest was totally innocent.

Do you thinks she will accuse the doctor next ?
    I doubt it, and i wouldn't belive it if she did, I've never heard of Doctors leaking anything about their patients to the media.
    or the person who had anything to gain from the leak, her nasty manipulative petty self :-)
    You've thrown a share of invective at her in two posts now to back up your totally incorrect first statement.
    Because you were so wrong in that, I'm a little less inclined to take your word that she is "a nasty manipulative petty repellent little troll" .

She is a bit screechy and preachy though. :D

I don't know that, I've never been arrested so i wouldn't know the procedure.

Are you saying she reported herself to the media?

I'm merely pointing out that there were many people that could have leaked the story.
    Her.
    The doctor
    Whoever she rang
    Whoever the doctor told
    The cleaners in the station
    The civil servants in the station
    Her solicitor

It could have been any amount of people. That's all

• Advertisement

I'm merely pointing out that there were many people that could have leaked the story.
    Her.
    The doctor
    Whoever she rang
    Whoever the doctor told
    The cleaners in the station
    The civil servants in the station
    Her solicitor

It could have been any amount of people. That's all

That's fair enough, but i doubt the cleaners were p1ssed at her cause she hung them in the dail for fixing penalty points.

Face it lads, there are bad apples in every job, pretending they dont exist impugns that very profession.

That's fair enough, but i doubt the cleaners were p1ssed at her cause she hung them in the dail for fixing penalty points.

Face it lads, there are bad apples in every job, pretending they dont exist impugns that very profession.

I'm not saying there isn't bad apples but the lure of gossip is massive to many many people

I'm not saying there isn't bad apples but the lure of gossip is massive to many many people

I know plenty gossips, i doubt any of them have the number of a reporter. ;)

It's hardly Breaking News, Bubbly.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-officers-interviewed-over-leaks-to-media-1.2497377

Ah you would be surprised how many people are Interested in 'famous' people getting into bother with gardai.
    Ireland is a very small country, word travels fast, & you never know how many journalists are related to/ friends with someone that may have heard this gossip.
    Fact is, the guard that was blamed, & had his privacy violated, was totally innocent

Ah you would be surprised how many people are Interested in 'famous' people getting into bother with gardai.
    Ireland is a very small country, word travels fast, & you never know how many journalists are related to/ friends with someone that may have heard this gossip.
    Fact is, the guard that was blamed, & had his privacy violated, was totally innocent

That happens ordinary innocent people every day of the week. Do you think Gardai should be above suspicion or something?

That Garda helped GSOC with their enquiries and was rightly found innocent of any wrongdoing.

I'm glad his case and possible reputation wasnt damaged by the Gardai who refused to cooperate with GSOC...

Gardaí ‘withheld information’ in Clare Daly inquiry

Regular Gardaí aren't pissed at Daly. They think she's a joke, like Wallace. She's definitely not someone worth risking a job over.

Regular Gardaí aren't pissed at Daly. They think she's a joke, like Wallace. She's definitely not someone worth risking a job over.

Who mentioned regular Gardai? I said Bad apples.

Good apples have nothing to fear from whistle-blowers (and welcome them i dare say.)

Who mentioned regular Gardai? I said Bad apples.

Good apples have nothing to fear from whistle-blowers (and welcome them i dare say.)

Regular Gardaí would be the only ones working at the hour of the morning she was arrested. What's this got to do with whistle blowers?

Regular Gardaí would be the only ones working at the hour of the morning she was arrested. What's this got to do with whistle blowers?

What, Bad Apples keep certain hours?

Clare Daly facilitated the whistle-blowers.

Now that you mention it, didn't someone nail a rat to one of those whistle-blowers door?
    Those pesky cleaners again i suppose. :rolleyes:

What, Bad Apples keep certain hours?

Clare Daly facilitated the whistle-blowers.

Now that you mention it, didn't someone nail a rat to one of those whistle-blowers door?
    Those pesky cleaners again i suppose. :rolleyes:

We were talking about Daly being arrested. How did you get onto McCabe?

• Advertisement

We were talking about Daly being arrested. How did you get onto McCabe?

I've politely answered all your questions, you still havent answered the very first one i asked you. Why?

so it wasnt the gardai

Anyway back to the start lads...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/clare-daly-arrest-details-leaked-in-unauthorised-manner-1.2652506

GSOC say the Gardai leaked it. They also say " the Commission is of the view Ms Daly was entitled to the presumption of innocence and that she had a right to privacy."

Maybe ye should contact them with "The Cleaners Theory" .

Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Clare Daly & Mick Wallace are what you would call the 'force' that opens the crack wider for the public to see, or be invited to see within corruption. You folk should be happy they both exist.

They are both doing a good job indeed for all of our well-being and exposing the governmental criminals. Here here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are both doing a good job indeed for all of our well-being and exposing the governmental criminals. Here here.
    Exactly which "governmental criminals" have they exposed?

Anyway back to the start lads...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/clare-daly-arrest-details-leaked-in-unauthorised-manner-1.2652506

GSOC say the Gardai leaked it. They also say " the Commission is of the view Ms Daly was entitled to the presumption of innocence and that she had a right to privacy."

Maybe ye should contact them with "The Cleaners Theory" .

Night.

Did you read the report? The number used to contact the paper was a civilians number. This particular civilian was in regular contact with someone in the offices of the Star and use to work there. This is their only solid piece of evidence in the whole thing. As per usual, GSOC told the public what they wanted to hear.

Did you read the report? The number used to contact the paper was a civilians number. This particular civilian was in regular contact with someone in the offices of the Star and use to work there. This is their only solid piece of evidence in the whole thing. As per usual, GSOC told the public what they wanted to hear.

Yea yea, gsoc are out to frame them.
    I notice you still manage to skirt my question.

Yea yea, gsoc are out to frame them.
    I notice you still manage to skirt my question.

What question? And again, did you read the report?

What question? And again, did you read the report?

The one i asked you in my response to your incorrect statement that Daly was the only one to gain from a leak and that she failed to provide a sample.

Did you read that? Or did you ignore it?

The one i asked you in my response to your incorrect statement that Daly was the only one to gain from a leak and that she failed to provide a sample.

Did you read that? Or did you ignore it?

Firstly, that statement is correct. Secondly, you could have just asked the question again for convenience sake. I'm sure some Gardaí do leak stuff to journalists for all sorts of reasons but in the case of Daly it looks like many people knew. And the only evidence points to a civilian rather than a Garda.

• Advertisement

Firstly, that statement is correct. Secondly, you could have just asked the question again for convenience sake. I'm sure some Gardaí do leak stuff to journalists for all sorts of reasons but in the case of Daly it looks like many people knew. And the only evidence points to a civilian rather than a Garda.

Fine. I, of course, concede that it could be The Cleaners, but on the balance of probablility I still think it's more likely a Garda leak.
    And, of course leaking information that Daly was a drunk driver discredits her in the eyes of the public, and who did that benefit? Certainly not her.

You may be right about her failing the breath test, i see conflicting reports about whether it was machine failure or herself. I note from a quick look at the report that the Gardai were short straws and had to get a second squad out to finish the test. Nice to know that the crime epidemic in Dublin has been successfully stemmed in this time of station closures under-manning and under-equipping
    (And your question, no i had only read the press release, but after a quick look at the full report I'm less than impressed with the Gardai)

And handcuffing? I've seen strapping lads carted off from fights outside Clubs and put in the back of the squad without handcuffs (i'm sure if she was kicking and fighting it would have made the morning paper with all the rest).

I've great respect for the majority of Gardaí, a lot more than i have for Daly, but i wont apologise for wanting the rotten elements and grossly unprofessional members rooted out. It's too important a job to have them there.

Advertisement