Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurogamer has dropped review scores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fantastic idea. I hope others will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Been banging this drum for years. Harder than you would think to implement based on the fact that "most people just want to see a number at the bottom"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ah crap, I'll have to read the review text now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Delighted with it too! Also easier to find out which games for which systems are the ones to go for http://www.eurogamer.net/recommended-games.

The comment threads under articles are getting harder and harder to read though. Maybe it's an age thing but I used enjoy reading the comments and finding out about different games from their community (back in the early to mid 2000's) but now it's all fanboy comments and people rushing to judgement on anything they don't immediately fall in love with.

The Eurogamer chaps do seem to think hard about what they put into their reviews - it's my only official reference when it comes to buying games - friend's recommendations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Completely agree with them. Always preferred the idea of having games rated on grades like they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Good that they will wait to review online games until after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Completely agree with them. Always preferred the idea of having games rated on grades like they are doing.

They're not really doing that though. And games should be rated with words only, and with the understanding that the review is an opinion and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Eurogamer have always been my go to review source. This is great and hopefully others will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't like this, can't joke about EG giving out only 6s and 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Absolutely great to see, hopefully more sites follow suit.

Hopefully they don't go the way of Joystiq now in the next month or so. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But how will I know if a game is better than Halo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A lot of sites have done this, but they go back on it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Just accept that fact that Legend of Dragoon aside, there is no such game.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

That sucks

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Would they use a Pro/Con system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Edge magazine did this once, with all the scores at the back of the mag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wait, Majora's Mask only recommended. Should be essential. This is bullpoop. Etc.

Great news to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Good move, glad to see them move towards this method of reviewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems a bit of a cop out really. They've still got labels they attach to reviews, essential, recommended, avoid, etc. which is still pretty much a 5 star system and something google will be displaying as well with review searches. While it seems like a step in the right direction there still seems to be a metric to measure a games worth, which is what a review score is essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Maybe it's just me but I don't see professional reviews being relevant in 5 years. I trust the judgement of lads on here far more than I trust a review by IGN or Gamespot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see professional reviews being relevant in 5 years. I trust the judgement of lads on here far more than I trust a review by IGN or Gamespot.

That's only if you approach reviews as a mere consumer's guide rather than a piece of actual criticism. Professional, knowledgable critics - offering thorough and articulate analysis, breakdowns and responses to games - aren't going away anytime soon, and thank **** they aren't.

Although it should be stressed nobody trusts a review from IGN or Gamespot.

That's only if you approach reviews as a mere consumer's guide rather than a piece of actual criticism. Professional, knowledgable critics - offering thorough and articulate analysis, breakdowns and responses to games - aren't going away anytime soon, and thank **** they aren't.

I'm not sure a review can be like that for a game when it's rushed to be out for embargo or a release date. We only really get those articles as retrospectives, for instance the collective meh over GTA IV on retrospection. Those kind of rushed reviews can only really be used as a buyers guide and in a environment when the writer has to play 8-50 hours of a game then write something about it while on deadline I don't think any in depth analysis is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

8/10

Would read again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not sure a review can be like that for a game when it's rushed to be out for embargo or a release date. We only really get those articles as retrospectives, for instance the collective meh over GTA IV on retrospection. Those kind of rushed reviews can only really be used as a buyers guide and in a environment when the writer has to play 8-50 hours of a game then write something about it while on deadline I don't think any in depth analysis is possible.

I wouldn't agree with that, film critics have been turning out witty, insightful and on-the-ball responses incredibly quickly and to very tight deadlines for decades. Great games writers can do the same - problem is, of course, there aren't many great game writers out there yet. And sadly most sites and magazines have limited space and resources for retrospectives and etc..., so often the main review is one of the few opportunities to actually get something worthwhile out there. Edge have the right idea with their post-script articles, allowing the writer to reflect on perhaps a more specific aspect of the game alongside the core review.

I do agree there is too much of a focus on getting stuff ready in time for an embargo (while ironically games have become harder to review in such controlled circumstances), but certainly with single player games a gut response by a writer is very often a fascinating one. Some games are too big for a quick turnaround too, but a full response to most can easily be formed in a couple of days (especially if you have the luxury of getting paid to do so).

I've become particularly fond of Kill Screen recently for more in-depth and offbeat responses to new releases, as an aside, although they do occasionally take a little bit longer before publishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wouldn't agree with that, film critics have been turning out witty, insightful and on-the-ball responses incredibly quickly and to very tight deadlines for decades. Great games writers can do the same - problem is, of course, there aren't many great game writers out there yet. And sadly most sites and magazines have limited space and resources for retrospectives and etc..., so often the main review is one of the few opportunities to actually get something worthwhile out there. Edge have the right idea with their post-script articles, allowing the writer to reflect on perhaps a more specific aspect of the game alongside the core review.

I do agree there is too much of a focus on getting stuff ready in time for an embargo (while ironically games have become harder to review in such controlled circumstances), but certainly with single player games a gut response by a writer is very often a fascinating one. Some games are too big for a quick turnaround too, but a full response to most can easily be formed in a couple of days (especially if you have the luxury of getting paid to do so).

I've become particularly fond of Kill Screen recently for more in-depth and offbeat responses to new releases, as an aside, although they do occasionally take a little bit longer before publishing.

Still though, it must be a lot easier to write a witty review of a 2 hour movie than it is to condense 40 hours of gameplay into 60 lines of text.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Johnny, that's a really silly statement you silly billy :D You can't review a game in 5 hours but you certainly can review a film in 5 hours when you're on the ball and have years of publishing standards and experience behind you like film journalism. You can give a first impressions kinda like TotalBiscuit's WTF Is series or Jim Sterling's Squirty Plays, but that's not delivered as "review" content nor should it be treated as such. A 40+hour game cannot be reviewed in less than 40+ hours and embargoes used to mean that reviewers who were given 2 weeks hands on time with a game didn't have to half-arse their work when trying to do their jobs.

Removal of scores are something I'm in favour of for several reasons:
    • It's a meaningful recommendation from a human who's opinion you learn to trust or ignore based on your own experiences. You can learn about the personality of the reviewer and then seek out the one(s) who's taste most matches your own - they're less likely to steer you wrong.
    • It forces the largely moronic "gamer" community to use it's fking brain and not scream abuse at someone who didn't dare give a flawed game a high enough score cause they didn't care about the flaws
    • It breaks this Meta-Critic aggregate scoring cluster-fk thing up - it's hard to believe that people's wages are being tied to that.

Shiminay wrote: »
    You can't review a game in 5 hours but you certainly can review a film in 5 hours when you're on the ball and have years of publishing standards and experience behind you like film journalism.... A 40+hour game cannot be reviewed in less than 40+ hours and embargoes used to mean that reviewers who were given 2 weeks hands on time with a game didn't have to half-arse their work when trying to do their jobs.
    [/LIST]

Well I would generally hope that most reputable, worthwhile publications aren't crapping out reviews without the writer having actually having had the chance to play it properly first, embargos or not! You can generally tell the dodgy ones pushed out just to be first out there compared to the ones that are based on the entirety of a game (or, when it comes to 'incomplete-able' games, enough time to form an educated opinion) - the former typically are awful reviews anyway and not the sort worth any type of defending. I'd imagine most of the games with incredibly strict, tight embargos are just the blockbusters anyway, which usually aren't the most complicated to actually respond to. Not to mention one's responses will be established throughout playing, rather than a definitive 'eureka!' moment as the final credits roll (that's a very rare pleasure in gaming - games like Brothers or the Mother series aside).

Certainly with games that simply cannot be reviewed to an arbitrary embargo I think reviews have certainly gotten better - whether that's the likes of USgamer's approach of a week or two worth of updates that then becomes a final review or indeed just holding off point blank until a proper impression can be formed (as is happening with Evolve at the moment). It's very rare I'd come across a review that legitimately 'isn't ready', outside those occasions when a game's servers self-destruct when the public launch happens.

I'd certainly hope that if a 40+ hour game is being reviewed the writer has spent 40+ hours with that (although then again a depressing amount of 40 hour plus games have revealed pretty much everything they actually have to offer within the first few hours :pac:). The same way I'd hope any good film critic would have spent two hours with a film before filing a review, I'd hope any good games critic will have spent sufficient time with the game before filing - and in most cases I'd imagine that can happen even with the inconvenience of an embargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Well I would generally hope that most reputable, worthwhile publications aren't crapping out reviews without the writer having actually having had the chance to play it properly first, embargos or not! You can generally tell the dodgy ones pushed out just to be first out there compared to the ones that are based on the entirety of a game - the former typically are awful reviews anyway and not the sort worth any type of defending. I'd imagine most of the games with incredibly strict, tight embargos are just the blockbusters anyway, which usually aren't the most complicated to actually respond to.

Certainly with games that simply cannot be reviewed to an arbitrary embargo I think reviews have certainly gotten better - whether that's the likes of USgamer's approach of a week or two worth of updates that then becomes a final review or indeed just holding off point blank until a proper impression can be formed (as is happening with Evolve at the moment).

I'd certainly hope that if a 40+ hour game is being reviewed the writer has spent 40+ hours with that. (although then again a depressing amount of 40 hour plus games have revealed most of their surprises within the first few hours :pac:)

mother of god, can you imagine having to review some of the boring muck thats out there and forcing yourself to sit through 40 hours of it?

mother of god, can you imagine having to review some of the boring muck thats out there and forcing yourself to sit through 40 hours of it?

Somebody's response to the first ten hours of an Assassin's Creed game would pretty much tell you almost everything (worthwhile) there is to know about the game :pac: Not much you learn when climbing your 20th tall building that you didn't get first time around ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If it doesn't say Halo in the title somewhere I think you're okay.

Advertisement