Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5c - Still worth getting?

• 10-02-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

The girlfriend is using my old HTC One M7 but sadly broke it and is now looking to change. She is due an upgrade and doesn't want to spend any money on the phone. Vodafone have the 5c 8gb for free on all tariffs? I'm wondering if it is still a decent option for her? She'd use it for basic enough use, face book, whatsapp, snap chat etc. No heavy gaming or anything. The worry is the 2 year contract, don't want her cursing the phone for being so slow in a years time etc?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

breeno wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

The girlfriend is using my old HTC One M7 but sadly broke it and is now looking to change. She is due an upgrade and doesn't want to spend any money on the phone. Vodafone have the 5c 8gb for free on all tariffs? I'm wondering if it is still a decent option for her? She'd use it for basic enough use, face book, whatsapp, snap chat etc. No heavy gaming or anything. The worry is the 2 year contract, don't want her cursing the phone for being so slow in a years time etc?

Any advice appreciated!

It's basicially an iPhone 5 with a plastic case, the iPhone 5c is still a great phone,

I have an iPhone 6, and also an iPhone 5 (work), the only big difference I see is obviously the size, but speed wise, yes the 6 is a little faster, but the 5 still holds its own.

verdict: get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

8gb?? The os takes up 5 so I would say she will run out of space very qucikly.

I would just get her another android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

Is that not just for installation purposes though? I would assume there would 5-6 gb of usable storage for photos apps etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Great phones but the 8gb will be quite frustrating! Might only be 3-4gb for apps, storage and photos etc... Maybe less? 16gb is the minimum I'd opt for on a phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Groupon had the 5c 16gb refurb last week on offer for €239. I bought a 8gb 5c new for €379 in the Vodafone store last month (wish I had of waited)

I own a iPhone 6, 5s, 4s and 4 too but the 5c is my favourite to carry around with me because its so light and comfortable to hold. Though its essentially a plastic iPhone 5 it should get one more update than the 5 as it was released in 2013. Don't be tempted and go for a 4s. They are on offer for €299 in some stores atm and although it seems like a bargain the 4s will be unsupported come this September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

Has anybody bought the 8gb 5c and able to comment on how much space is actually available? I'm starting to think it's not enough for 1/2 years of photos etc. She wouldn't normally have music on board or movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

"8GB iPhone 5c for the sensitive markets like U.K. and China. It ships with 4.9GB for users to fill in. Its newly free iMovie, Garage Band, iWork and iPhoto apps overall weigh almost 3GB and user emails and photos can quickly fill it up."

from - http://au.ibtimes.com/actual-storage-figures-apples-iphone-5c-8gb-only-37gb-less-samsungs-16gb-galaxy-s4-1335484

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/the-8gb-iphone-5c-is-proof-that-apple-cannot-admit-defeat-497187

That site explains it quite well! No music or movies might help the case but apple like you to use icloud to store stuff with such small internal memory... If it's only for basic enough use and a few photo's you'd probably be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Has she seen it in the flesh? One thing no one has mentioned is screen size. I had an M7 too, and compared to that the 5c screen will look tiny. For me, that'd be the hardest thing to live with, especially if signing up for 2 years. Unless she thought the M7 was too big, in that case no need to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The 5c is a fast and capable phone even 2 years down the line it won't seem slow.. If she needs extra space for photos download an app called carousel I have a 16GB 5s and I back up all my photos to this to save space on my phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

breeno wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Any advice appreciated!

Do not by a 5C with 8GB of storage its completely pointless if you plan on taking photos, listening to music, using apps.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

is the 5c 16GB worth that on groupon? in the market for a iphone. Was getting the 6 but the size is off putting.

DonFred wrote: »
    is the 5c 16GB worth that on groupon? in the market for a iphone. Was getting the 6 but the size is off putting.

They had it €30 cheaper two-three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

Chris___ wrote: »
    the 4s will be unsupported come this September.

whats this about chris?

ekimiam wrote: »
    whats this about chris?

Well when iOS 9 comes out most likely it will not be available for the 4s. Just like the iPhone 4 which ended with iOS7

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

cheers!

Advertisement