Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 153: Please post questions here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Liverpool1981

Thanks Tony

Downloaded file from Ferguson is called A153Combo_20161103_V1.31B7.abs. When I click start, message comes up saying "BIN does not match. Do you still want to upgrade?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'd advise against upgrading if you see this message. It may be ok but unless you have another box that you can use with a null modem lead to restore the original firmware you could end up with a non working box. What firmware are you on now and is it definitely an ariva 153 box ?

Thanks Tony

Downloaded file from Ferguson is called A153Combo_20161103_V1.31B7.abs. When I click start, message comes up saying "BIN does not match. Do you still want to upgrade?"

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Definitely an Arriva 153combo box running V1.28B4*

Only thing I can suggest is maybe try going to 1.29 first

Definitely an Arriva 153combo box running V1.28B4*

Or will do thanks Tony, you wouldn't happen to know the link for that please? Sorry to be a nuisance.

Not sure if older versions are still available to be honest unless some one here could perhaps upload a dumpfile using dropbox or similar.

Or will do thanks Tony, you wouldn't happen to know the link for that please? Sorry to be a nuisance.

Ok cheers fo the help Tony

EDIT: All sorted, just wondering if there is a channel list available for this firmware or do I have to do it manually, cheers?

No problem . How did you sort it ? For now I'm afraid you have to do it manually unless someone posts one up here.
    Ok cheers fo the help Tony

EDIT: All sorted, just wondering if there is a channel list available for this firmware or do I have to do it manually, cheers?

I downloaded 1.29 as you said, and then installed the latest version 1.31 on top of that, worked perfect. And i've just done the channel list myself there lol. So everything is working as it should hopefully. I was reading the fixes in this version (many of which go over my head to be honest). Is it far superior to the version i was running?

Nice one, well done. No major fixes that I can see. Perhaps you could share your channel list ( just create a dump file) in case others want to follow your lead ?

I downloaded 1.29 as you said, and then installed the latest version 1.31 on top of that, worked perfect. And i've just done the channel list myself there lol. So everything is working as it should hopefully. I was reading the fixes in this version (many of which go over my head to be honest). Is it far superior to the version i was running?

• Advertisement

Is it easy to create a dump file?

yep just select dump or backup in the USB menu and it will write a file to your usb key backup.abs . I usually then rename it with the firmware version name and the saorview transmitter name
    Is it easy to create a dump file?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnway

Hi all

I have just purchased a new combo 153, ive installed the latest firmware 1.31 but I am not seeing the "app" section under local network settings. Is there a hidden menu, if so could you let me know what it is.
    I upgraded via usb.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I'm getting a 'No Signal' message when i connect my new Ariva 153 box. I'm using the same cable that works for a Humax box I'm replacing. I've tried to scan against the Astra 2, but each of the requests seem to fail. Do i need to run something else as part of the setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

emerald007 wrote: »
    I'm getting a 'No Signal' message when i connect my new Ariva 153 box. I'm using the same cable that works for a Humax box I'm replacing. I've tried to scan against the Astra 2, but each of the requests seem to fail. Do i need to run something else as part of the setup?

Check:
    1. That the incoming cable from the dish is connected to "LNB in" - not "LNB out"

2. That LNB power is set to on. (Menu > System Set up > Other . LNB Power)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, quick question for those who run patched firmware, how do you turn off the descriptive audio, on the enigma boxes it's just a change of audio stream of the affected channel. No so sure on the Arivas. Thanks Martin

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

On the standard firmware its the Audio button on the remote, it usually the non descriptive audio by default so don't think there's a system wide setting for this as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭mjatkey

Thanks Tony, will check it out, maybe there is an update to the patched firmware. Cheers

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

Thanks Avns1s
    Avns1s wrote: »
    Check:
    1. That the incoming cable from the dish is connected to "LNB in" - not "LNB out"

• Advertisement

Thanks Avns1s

I now seem to have lost the predefined SAORVIEW channels. Do I need to have an separate digital antenna to pick up the RTE channels?

Yes, you will need to connect an aerial. No such thing as a digital aerial, a UHF aerial suitable for your area will be fine.
    You could try an indoor aerial if you were picking up the saorview channels from the satellite cable.

Is it possible to use this as a player for Synology NAS box over the Ethernet network of wifi ?
    Thanks

Is this still the case. I've tried to enable the Media Player under the PVR settings, but the option always seems to be disable. Any suggestions on how I can enable this?

Is this still the case. I've tried to enable the Media Player under the PVR settings, but the option always seems to be disable. Any suggestions on how I can enable this?

Stick in a USB key formatted in FAT32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Can these boxes run openvix on them? Hard to get info on the ariva 153 or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Sono wrote: »
    Can these boxes run openvix on them? Hard to get info on the ariva 153 or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

No, they can't run openvix but there is a patched firmware available but it can't be discussed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

No, they can't run openvix but there is a patched firmware available but it can't be discussed here.

Thanks for the reply.

It's for a friend who uses one of these boxes. The menu on them is unbelievably bad, I don't know how he uses it at all.

Shame the box can't run openvix.

Thanks again for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ps200306

I have the same problem as another user reported back in August.

Can't rename favourite group names -- the menus and keypad all work, but changes not saved when you hit OK.

It's a Ferguson Ariva 153 Combo, bought from satellite.ie last month.

Versions:
    Hsju: 39028-01047
    Microcode: v1.30B8

Did anyone fix this or get it working with a later version?

ps200306 wrote: »

Can't rename favourite group names -- the menus and keypad all work, but changes not saved when you hit OK.

Versions:

When you finish "typing" the new name for the favourites list using the remote, you need to press the BLUE button on the remote. It should then be saved.

When you finish "typing" the new name for the favourites list using the remote, you need to press the BLUE button on the remote. It should then be saved.
    Thanks but no, same as the other user back in August, the Blue button does nothing, neither does the on-screen OK button.

Thanks but no, same as the other user back in August, the Blue button does nothing, neither does the on-screen OK button.

OK, fair enough.

One other thing you could try is to update the favourites name using the Ariva STB remote app.
    The favourite name opens up on your phone and you can type as normal then hit an "OK" button underneath. I have my doubts that this will solve your problem but perhaps worth a try.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could update the firmware. You can download the latest firmware version from here

Firmware upgrade to V1.31B7 fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 bourkg

Versions:

Hi,

There was a new firmware released shortly after that which resloved my issue. You have the same firmware that I had the issue with.

Cheers

Ta. Seemed like a strange bug to creep in in a firmware release. Would make you worry a bit about the testing! But at least they fixed it promptly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Guys are ye getting 7 day epg for the Irish channels? I'm only getting 3 days. Not a huge deal but I have a 120 Ariva as well and that gives the 7 days

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

is there still a recording issue with the 153's I was talking to a local wholesaler recently and he was telling me that he been having a good few boxes coming back to him with an issue where if a person is recording a saorview channel they aren't able to switch to a satellite channel and vice versa. I haven't put in a 153 in a while so I haven't been able to check it out

That was solved at firmware 1.30 , 1.29 introduced that problem.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    is there still a recording issue with the 153's I was talking to a local wholesaler recently and he was telling me that he been having a good few boxes coming back to him with an issue where if a person is recording a saorview channel they aren't able to switch to a satellite channel and vice versa. I haven't put in a 153 in a while so I haven't been able to check it out

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Tony wrote: »
    That was solved at firmware 1.30 , 1.29 introduced that problem.

Thanks a million Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

I got this box a few days ago and firstly thanks to all the very helpful posts on here I have been able to troubleshoot the few small issues I was having.

The only issue I have now is if I'm watching RTE and am recording BBC 1, the recorded item in the PVR shows up with the RTE name in the recorded list rather than the BBC show name. For example, I just tested again there and while it recorded MoTD on BBC1, the recorded list says At Your Service. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks.

Philster wrote: »
    I got this box a few days ago and firstly thanks to all the very helpful posts on here I have been able to troubleshoot the few small issues I was having.

The only issue I have now is if I'm watching RTE and am recording BBC 1, the recorded item in the PVR shows up with the RTE name in the recorded list rather than the BBC show name. For example, I just tested again there and while it recorded MoTD on BBC1, the recorded list says At Your Service. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks.

I had a slightly different problem. I wasn't watching at the time the recording started, but the recorded name was the name of the program before the one I recorded. I get the impression it's a bit hit and miss. I presume it's picking up whatever the "now and next" on the EPG is telling it. Maybe in your case it picks it up before switching to the other tuner for recording. In any case, the maximum number of characters you can have in a program name on the PVR is small, so I find you have to manually rename them to something sensible anyway. I've decided it's just a fact of life with the Ariva that I can live with.

The thing that makes me thankful for the Ariva is the LG "smart" TV that I bought at the same time, which also has satellite and DVB-T and HD recording ... but the user interface is a complete dog's dinner compared to the Ariva. It reminds me that things could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

I had a slightly different problem. I wasn't watching at the time the recording started, but the recorded name was the name of the program before the one I recorded. I get the impression it's a bit hit and miss. I presume it's picking up whatever the "now and next" on the EPG is telling it. Maybe in your case it picks it up before switching to the other tuner for recording. In any case, the maximum number of characters you can have in a program name on the PVR is small, so I find you have to manually rename them to something sensible anyway. I've decided it's just a fact of life with the Ariva that I can live with.

The thing that makes me thankful for the Ariva is the LG "smart" TV that I bought at the same time, which also has satellite and DVB-T and HD recording ... but the user interface is a complete dog's dinner compared to the Ariva. It reminds me that things could be a lot worse.
    Thanks for the reply. I think as you say it is hit and miss and it's not really a big issue for us. Just thought it might be a case of me needing to change a menu setting or something.

Is there any way to program buttons on the Ariva remote to control TV power and volume?

• Advertisement

No its not a programmable remote but you can set your tv volume using tv remote and then use arivas remote to turn volume up and down. You can also but a 253 remote which will work also and can be programmed http://www.satworld.ie/ferguson-ariva-hd-remote-control-rcu-650.html

Is there any way to program buttons on the Ariva remote to control TV power and volume?

No its not a programmable remote but you can set your tv volume using tv remote and then use arivas remote to turn volume up and down. You can also but a 253 remote which will work also and can be programmed http://www.satworld.ie/ferguson-ariva-hd-remote-control-rcu-650.html

Cheers Tony. Looks absolutely perfect for what I want. Was going to order one but I presume I can just walk into satworld showroom and buy it if I am knocking around that direction?

(Edit: manual describing programming the remote is here, pages 6-9).

Yep they have a walk in sales area. Please ask for Jarek, Casper or Dennnis and tell them you heard about them on boards.ie

Cheers Tony. Looks absolutely perfect for what I want. Was going to order one but I presume I can just walk into satworld showroom and buy it if I am knocking around that direction?

(Edit: manual describing programming the remote is here, pages 6-9).

Yep they have a walk in sales area. Please ask for Jarek, Casper or Dennnis and tell them you heard about them on boards.ie
    Too late I'm afraid, already dropped in this morning. Guy was very helpful, got the RCU650. Was a bit fiddly to find codes for the LG TV, but got it set up in the end. Have power and volume for the TV, surround sound amp is already SIMPLINKed from the TV so just works, and even managed to auto-learn codes for a HDMI switcher to switch between Ariva, laptop and a Chromecast. Three remotes now stowed away and replaced by the RCU650. Many thanks for the help, this was the absolutely perfect solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@Tony
    Would that RCU650 remote work with the very old original Ariva? I think it was the 100 but just says ariva HD combo. It looks almost identical to the original remote. At present my friend uses a Lidl programmable remote but it eats batteries. If the RCU650 could work the box and on/off the TV it would be ideal.

@gerry I think it did Gerry but its been a while so not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CutTheCorder

Does it need a special wifi dongle?
    I have tried one which I confirmed is working, but there seems to be no reaction from the box.
    When I go to Menu, Network Local Settings, WiFi Manager, I get the message that it needs a dongle based on Ralink 5370?

Never mind. Found the answer: it does need a WiFi dongle based on Ralink 5370.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Whats the procedure for upgrading the firmware and restoring your channel list / user settings? I can do a network upgrade to V1.33B1 from the ferguson site, but it obviously leaves a blank setup. I have a dump with V1.27B6* firmware, which restores my channel list and firmware. I've also seen the save channel list only which produces a .bin file rather than the dump's .db file, but I can't see anywhere to use the .bin file on its own. Just wondering if its possible or do you need to start from scratch each time you do a firmware update?

If the exact firmware type is precisely what you typed, they have quite different capabilities!!

Anyway, why are you upgrading?

Unless there's a particular reason, I'd leave well enough alone.

You can save your channel list before you upgrade. Then you can upgrade the "default DB" with this file, do a factory reset, and you'll have the new firmware with the previous channel list - if that's any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If the exact firmware type is precisely what you typed, they have quite different capabilities!!

Anyway, why are you upgrading?

Unless there's a particular reason, I'd leave well enough alone.

You can save your channel list before you upgrade. Then you can upgrade the "default DB" with this file, do a factory reset, and you'll have the new firmware with the previous channel list - if that's any help.

Thanks for the reply. Two versions should be correct - the one which came on the box, and when I scan for a network install the one which the Ferguson site offers up.

Miscellaneous things starting to go wrong on me. Picture issues, sound issues, freezes, web stuff not working, and most recently a series of losing the satellite channel setup (but box not reset as such - terrestrial setup would continue to work fine, and a very small number of satellite channels remaining). After I think, a third recreation from a clean blind scan, moving all the channels into familiar positions, etc.. i'm now into trying anything to stabilise the setup. While it may not be anything to do particularly with an upgrade, that would as I understand it at least mean there are no known software issues arising if i'm still getting a lack of stability.

Of course, the box may be on its last legs too :( Booooooh....

Advertisement