Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating in Radio.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

oh, I just remembered.

We only used to implement "Zero Tolerance" on certain subjects for very specific timeframes - say for the duration of the World Cup, or during the lead up to certain matches etc, I don't believe there was ever a blanket ban on something for an indefinite period.

that seems overly restrictive, and should be re-visited in the charter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Calhoun wrote: »
    Regardless of the above these are pretty unfair comments, you seem to be trying to draw a picture of you being the poor victim and the big bad mods oppressing you.

As pointed out this is an internet forum, the mods are volunteers just trying to keep things civil and ensure the fanbois and haters dont mess things up too much.

Not everyone agrees with you or thinks that the mods are conning people, thats a fairly serious accusation and i would really consider making those kind of accusations against the volunteer team.

People don't become mods because they are asked to do it and they are forced to. They are asked and they accept which means they want to do it.

There has still been no valid explanation as to why there is a difference in treatment apart from "That's the way things are done around here". And that really stinks.

And in the case of fanbois and haters, the ray d'arcy show thread is one instance where it's just a gang of haters who come out with smart comments for every positive comment there is.

I used to mod the Rugby Forum, and at the time we had Zero Tolerance on something (probably Munster/Leinster related) and each and every breach was handled the same way, long-term, short-term, friends or not.

to my mind, Zero tolerance subjects should only be implemented in very extreme circumstances - if each and every mention of a particular subject is going to cause a huge unwarranted amount of work for the mods then they are within their rights to make that subject "off limits" and harshly sanction anyone who mentions that subject.

But, if the mods then start to allow some people to actually mention that subject it makes a mockery of treating other people more harshly for mentioning that subject, and is totally unfair.

The very definition of Zero tolerance is that it's black and white. It is NOT ok to mention this subject, so don't bloody mention it. Or you'll be banned.

Exactly. Whatever rule there is there is no valid reason why his post (and my post quoting him) was deleted and my post (one minute earlier that got carded) was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Gits_bone wrote: »
    People don't become mods because they are asked to do it and they are forced to. They are asked and they accept which means they want to do it.

There has still been no valid explanation as to why there is a difference in treatment apart from "That's the way things are done around here". And that really stinks.

And in the case of fanbois and haters, the ray d'arcy show thread is one instance where it's just a gang of haters who come out with smart comments for every positive comment there is.

Not really, as I pointed out on earlier posts it looked like you were baiting. Had it been the other way around and Harry out of no where started to attack you and asked you the question he did I can see it being clear cut case of banning him.

However what happened was there was two of you in it caused by you baiting.

Personally I think your more hassle than your worth and a perma ban from the forum/site is in order as you have built up this vendetta against a moderator team without acknowledging your part in it.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Not really, as I pointed out on earlier posts it looked like you were baiting. Had it been the other way around and Harry out of no where started to attack you and asked you the question he did I can see it being clear cut case of banning him.

However what happened was there was two of you in it caused by you baiting.

Personally I think your more hassle than your worth and a perma ban from the forum/site is in order as you have built up this vendetta against a moderator team without acknowledging your part in it.

Christ.

Show me where I baited. I started to attack him did I, out of nowhere? You talk utter nonsense.

My first replt to harry in the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94226793&postcount=528
    Giving out about someone being healthy, well that's just low.

No wonder there's fat kids everywhere with that attitude.

I stand by my point. Ray promotes healthy living and gets abuse for doing so.

I see you don't think anyone should be held responsible for their actions, it's always the other persons fault for making them say something.

• Advertisement

Why hasn't an admin come and given a proper explanation as to why this is allowed to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seriously, not everyone love the guy, criticism of him is perfectly acceptable in an adult society, why keep running here whenever it happens?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I just want to point out that Gits_bone was banned this morning and the usual feedback rules mean he can no longer comment. However, since it is my fault for not getting down to my response over a week after I said I would, I'd ask for that rule to be temporarily suspended so that this issue can be dealt with.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Seriously, not everyone love the guy, criticism of him is perfectly acceptable in an adult society, why keep running here whenever it happens?

Where have I said I don't want to see criticism of him?

People are coming in ruining the thread spouting the same old nonsense every single day.

I got banned from a forum for having an opinion and keeping that opinion and letting people know my opinion all the while backing it up.

These people don't even back anything up, they just keep posting rubbish about licence fee etc. Why isn't anything being done? I'm not the only one saying it's a train wreck. Another user today saying they're unfollowing it because it's a mess yet mods are doing absolutely nothing!!!!

I just want to point out that Gits_bone was banned this morning and the usual feedback rules mean he can no longer comment. However, since it is my fault for not getting down to my response over a week after I said I would, I'd ask for that rule to be temporarily suspended so that this issue can be dealt with.

I'm commenting on feedback in radio.

Why does my feedback from months prior to a ban suddenly become useless?

• Advertisement

I must add that you refer to feedback rules yet don't implement rules in your own forum. Why?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I misread the feedback charter, the rule applies only to members who are banned for over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

I think the radio charter needs to be looked at. Discussing presenters salaries must be kept out of the program threads, it just derails them and stops actual discussion of the show and its contents. Make a separate salaries discussion thread for that kind of talk.

I also don't understand why "I'm forced to listen to it at work" is allowed to be used as a Get Out Of Jail Free card for trolls and wind up merchants. That rule should be rescinded post haste.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I used to have no choice but to listen to 2FM three days a week for 12hrs a day during work-shifts. I don't think such a rule is going to be altered much, even if it's not a get out of jail free card or 'makes my points more relevant' card.

I am really surprised that any work place would switch today fm to rte radio 1 however. Also I'm not sure how many work places have rte radio 1 playing where staff are sitting at computers, being able to comment on the show as it goes on...

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Jack Max

I am really surprised that any work place would switch today fm to rte radio 1 however. Also I'm not sure how many work places have rte radio 1 playing where staff are sitting at computers, being able to comment on the show as it goes on...

I am not surprised at all really. You should keep up with technology to lesson your surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think the radio charter needs to be looked at. Discussing presenters salaries must be kept out of the program threads, it just derails them and stops actual discussion of the show and its contents. Make a separate salaries discussion thread for that kind of talk.
    I find the recurring references to salaries tiresome, but I can't see how a charter could be framed so as to restrict it.
    I also don't understand why "I'm forced to listen to it at work" is allowed to be used as a Get Out Of Jail Free card for trolls and wind up merchants. That rule should be rescinded post haste.
    The "I'm forced to listen to it work" line is usually a response to the even more irritating "If you don't like it, don't listen" argument trotted out by some, and that line should not be tolerated.

In a similar vein, I'm not too keen on people announcing that they are not listening, along the lines of "XX is on; I'm off to another station" because that is not discussion, but a declaration of prejudice.

I would like to see is some tightening-up on enforcement of the off-topic rule. If I want to discuss politics, there are other forums available.

I have to side with the OP here.

One thing which really put me off the Radio forum is the anti-Irish attitude of many of the posters and threads there. My perception of the forum from what I've read, is that anything Irish is rubbish and the BBC are gods who can do no wrong. Sure, when I last checked the Liveline thread it was pretty much bullying Joe Duffy and little else. It looked to me that some people listened to the show just so they could bitch about it on-thread.

That's my feedback anyway, so I'll leave it at that.

The post above is nonsense, I'm fairly regular to the radio forum as the nature of my work lends itself to being able to listen to radio all day and there is no anti Irish vein running through it.

If the Joe Duffy thread was to only allow praise, there would be no thread. Some people just need be less touchy on behalf of strangers who appear on radio.
    I would like to see is some tightening-up on enforcement of the off-topic rule. If I want to discuss politics, there are other forums available.

So if a political debate appears on Pat Kenny, it can't be discussed on the Pat Kenny thread, if a music guest appears on Ray Darcy they can only be discussed in one of the various Music forums, one of Moncrieffs guests with a new book can only be discussed in the literature forum, and so on with cookery guests etc etc?

The post above is nonsense, I'm fairly regular to the radio forum as the nature of my work lends itself to being able to listen to radio all day and there is no anti Irish vein running through it.

If the Joe Duffy thread was to only allow praise, there would be no thread. Some people just need be less touchy on behalf of strangers who appear on radio.

You are missing the point completely, not surprising really.

No one is saying you can't criticise but constantly banging the same drum every single day is not criticism. It's abuse.

I'm still waiting on Hullaballo to post the PMs he said he was going to post. I don't think he was expecting me to agree to letting him post them, which would have resulted in everyone thinking "Gits_bone clearly abused him".

Perhaps he's now worried his modding will be shown to be less than fair?

Not surprising really? What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement

Not surprising really? What do you mean by that?

I think if my memory serves me correctly you are one of the ones who bangs the same drum about D'arcy. Forgive me if I have mistaken you for someone else.

Do you think posting the same thing every day is acceptable?

"D'arcy can't use the buttons"
    "My licence fee rabble rabble"
    "Mammies in the kitchen"
    *Insert some sarcastic comment mocking d'arcy".

You are mistaken, you were corrected on this previously, by yourself actually when you went back through all my posts in the Darcy thread and found nothing to back your claims.

Your allegiance to the man has you tarring everyone with the same brush who are critical of him in every way.

And if he can't use the buttons every day, sure why not be critical of it. It's a long running joke with an element of truth in it.

You are mistaken, you were corrected on this previously, by yourself actually when you went back through all my posts in the Darcy thread and found nothing to back your claims.

Your allegiance to the man has you tarring everyone with the same brush who are critical of him in every way.

And if he can't use the buttons every day, sure why not be critical of it. It's a long running joke with an element of truth in it.

I don't mind criticism. The thread is a joke.

No one posts any content about the show. It's a joke, end of.

Look at Savage or Foleys threads. You can see what is being discussed on the show each day by looking at the comments. D'arcys is just abuse.

That's down to what people think of the various shows and presenters, not because of a concerted campaign against Ray Darcy.

That's down to what people think of the various shows and presenters, not because of a concerted campaign against Ray Darcy.

Nope, it's a clear mob posting rubbish about D'arcy. The same thing every.single.day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So if a political debate appears on Pat Kenny, it can't be discussed on the Pat Kenny thread, if a music guest appears on Ray Darcy they can only be discussed in one of the various Music forums, one of Moncrieffs guests with a new book can only be discussed in the literature forum, and so on with cookery guests etc etc?
    No. But there is a need for reasonable limits, linked to the radio context. If Paul Murphy takes part in a radio programme, that should not be carte blanche for a 50-post debate on Irish Water where posters are more concerned with arguing their own positions than with discussing Paul Murphy's contribution to the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Nope, it's a clear mob posting rubbish about D'arcy. The same thing every.single.day.

Kind of like what happens in traveller threads?

Luke92 wrote: »
    Kind of like what happens in traveller threads?

Haven't seen any traveller threads in which posters make the same point every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Haven't seen any traveller threads in which posters make the same point every single day.

But you hammered the same point in repeated posts in the last one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No. But there is a need for reasonable limits, linked to the radio context. If Paul Murphy takes part in a radio programme, that should not be carte blanche for a 50-post debate on Irish Water where posters are more concerned with arguing their own positions than with discussing Paul Murphy's contribution to the programme.
    Report it (and I know you have in the past); I've stopped such discussion previously if I think the thread has gone to far off topic (i.e. the discussion moves to the good/bad of Irish Water rather) with a simple on thread warning. I've not had the time to be as active last few weeks (work related) but if things go to far off topic I'm sure myself or a fellow mod will step in happily if it's flagged for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement