Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Monitored Home Alarm

Options
  • 10-02-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Looking for some advice and opinions on a monitored home alarm system please. Have spent an hour googling different companies (PhoneWatch, ADT, Securigard) but still am not sure.

Current Set Up
    There is an old (at least 10 years old) Astec Alarm system in the house (3 bed semi). It has contacts and sensors on the doors and windows. There is nothing majorly wrong with is, but it has gone off a few times over the last month in the middle of the night (could be somebody testing it by tapping a window, we don’t know). My Mother is in the house on her own fairly often so I want to help her feel more secure and she would like to upgrade the alarm and have it monitored.

She’s just had a quote from PhoneWatch for €599 + €35 per month for Monitoring and Service Maintenance. This package includes:
    1 Control Unit
    1 Keypad
    4 Keytags for easy on/off
    1 Door Contact
    4 Motion Sensors with Camera
    1 Smoke alarm Sensor
    1 Bellbox (internal)

It all seems fairly ok but a couple of concerns I have are:
    There would no longer be window sensors in the house. So if somebody does “test” the alarm in future by tapping the window etc, nothing will sound. The alarm will only trigger if they break or force open a window and enter the house. At that stage, firstly the damage to the window is done and secondly the intruder is in the house.

No external bell box, I know they are annoying when they go off but they must be a deterrent?! As it is, if the external bellbox goes off, the neighbours would have a look to see if everything is ok. With no external bellbox on PhoneWatch, this won’t happen.

With the motion sensors, if my mother was in the house and wanted to activate the alarm, she would need to start activating/deactivating different sensors which isn’t ideal as she isn’t that tech savvy. With the sensors/contacts, she can set the alarm and walk freely around the house without worrying it’ll be set off by her.

Sorry for the long post and would appreciate any good advice or recommendations for alternative options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

I would get a new alarm system (HKC are best and most companies install these) with an internal dialler. This uses mobile phone technology to call/text a person when the alarm goes off. Provided you have somebody living nearby to check it out?

€35 a month is nearly €400 a year, just to have somebody from phone watch call you to say the alarm is going off!

It might cost a bit more at the start but will save you big time in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi OP, the majority of us lads on here who help out people like yourself with quires, are either self employed or are working in smaller companies.
    Therefore our feet are firmly on ground level and know what happens in the real world and the cost of living etc.
    Well done on doing your homework on Phonewatch, if someone wants to pay double the average cost for alarm monitoring well I won't stop them, just do my best to advise them on their way.
    You are obviously obliged to utilise the services of companies that are licensed by the Private Security Authority, therefore with that in mind, have a look at their website and check out local installers in your own area. You might very well find a guy who can repair what you have and connect it to a monitoring station .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Kangoo Man wrote: »
    I would get a new alarm system (HKC are best and most companies install these) with an internal dialler. This uses mobile phone technology to call/text a person when the alarm goes off. Provided you have somebody living nearby to check it out?

€35 a month is nearly €400 a year, just to have somebody from phone watch call you to say the alarm is going off!

It might cost a bit more at the start but will save you big time in the long run.

Call & text is on the way out. text from landlines is being switched off in a few months & a SIM card will require top ups & incur charges per text etc.
    If you are thinking of changing shop around and look at the IP options other manufacturers are offering.
    Most offer free apps & free cloud access with free alerts /notifications.
    HKC charge for these features do they would be the dearest in the long run.:eek:

If you do wan't to stick with central station monitoring and the system you have , shop around. You will get better value from many other licenced installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Kop On wrote: »
    Looking for some advice and opinions on a monitored home alarm system please. Have spent an hour googling different companies (PhoneWatch, ADT, Securigard) but still am not sure.

Current Set Up
    There is an old (at least 10 years old) Astec Alarm system in the house (3 bed semi). It has contacts and sensors on the doors and windows. There is nothing majorly wrong with is, but it has gone off a few times over the last month in the middle of the night (could be somebody testing it by tapping a window, we don’t know). My Mother is in the house on her own fairly often so I want to help her feel more secure and she would like to upgrade the alarm and have it monitored.

She’s just had a quote from PhoneWatch for €599 + €35 per month for Monitoring and Service Maintenance. This package includes:
    1 Control Unit
    1 Keypad
    4 Keytags for easy on/off
    1 Door Contact
    4 Motion Sensors with Camera
    1 Smoke alarm Sensor
    1 Bellbox (internal)

It all seems fairly ok but a couple of concerns I have are:
    There would no longer be window sensors in the house. So if somebody does “test” the alarm in future by tapping the window etc, nothing will sound. The alarm will only trigger if they break or force open a window and enter the house. At that stage, firstly the damage to the window is done and secondly the intruder is in the house.

No external bell box, I know they are annoying when they go off but they must be a deterrent?! As it is, if the external bellbox goes off, the neighbours would have a look to see if everything is ok. With no external bellbox on PhoneWatch, this won’t happen.

With the motion sensors, if my mother was in the house and wanted to activate the alarm, she would need to start activating/deactivating different sensors which isn’t ideal as she isn’t that tech savvy. With the sensors/contacts, she can set the alarm and walk freely around the house without worrying it’ll be set off by her.

Sorry for the long post and would appreciate any good advice or recommendations for alternative options?

Its more than likely a faulty device setting off the system.
    Only a test with a multimeter would determine this tho.

If you did decide to have a monitored system installed then the I70 by GSD can use the Astec sensors on your windows and door plus you can have wire free devices added now or at a later date.
    I would get the faults checked out first tho as no mater what systems you have installed if you have a faulty device or devices you will still have the same issue with the newer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Thanks for the responses so far. I will search some of the recommendations and see what I can come up with.

From what I can see, the monitored alarm companies purposely don't offer the window sensor options as it potentially means they will be more busy with false alarms. I just don't understand why you wouldn't have them, same with the external bellbox as well as the internal one.

My only worry with using the existing Astec system and maybe just looking at having that monitored is that the Astec system is so old it's inevitable to it's going to act up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses so far. I will search some of the recommendations and see what I can come up with.

From what I can see, the monitored alarm companies purposely don't offer the window sensor options as it potentially means they will be more busy with false alarms. I just don't understand why you wouldn't have them, same with the external bellbox as well as the internal one.

My only worry with using the existing Astec system and maybe just looking at having that monitored is that the Astec system is so old it's inevitable to it's going to act up.

I would say your old system just needs to be serviced. There are loads of company's just ripping these out with out fixing the problem. Global sensors can be added if devices are faulty. Perimeter protection is always the best way to go backed up by one or 2 PIRs. If you did install a hybrid system then you have the ability to add wire free devices plus the GSD devices can be wired out of if needs be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Only a few try to sell you PiRs only. The majority of good installers prefer perimeter protection. They don't want to sell you an external bell because its harder for you to cancel your monitoring.

altor wrote: »
    I would say your old system just needs to be serviced. There are loads of company's just ripping these out with out fixing the problem. Global sensors can be added if devices are faulty. Perimeter protection is always the best way to go backed up by one or 2 PIRs. If you did install a hybrid system then you have the ability to add wire free devices plus the GSD devices can be wired out of if needs be.

Funnily enough, 2 alarm installers came to have a look at the set up a few months ago and both were due to get back in touch with quotes for upgrades and neither ever did. I presumed they just weren't interested in the hassle.

The I70 from GSD does look very interesting. Have you an idea of the cost involved?

Am I right in thinking that as we already have contacts and sensors and external and internal bellbox, the option most suitable would be the I70 Hybrid, which would mean a new keypad, a few PIRs and just a check done to see what contacts & sensors need replacing?

Funnily enough, 2 alarm installers came to have a look at the set up a few months ago and both were due to get back in touch with quotes for upgrades and neither ever did. I presumed they just weren't interested in the hassle.

The I70 from GSD does look very interesting. Have you an idea of the cost involved?

Am I right in thinking that as we already have contacts and sensors and external and internal bellbox, the option most suitable would be the I70 Hybrid, which would mean a new keypad, a few PIRs and just a check done to see what contacts & sensors need replacing?

Doors and window sensors, PA button work with the system. External bell need to be replaced. The system has a built in internal bell. Pirs if wired can be for can be replaced with Global PIRs or wire free ones. Just depends what is installed. The also have an arming station so if the control panel is at the back of the house this can be installed in the hall for easy arming/disarming.
    Price wise you would need to contact installers.

Most wireless systems would be in the same ball park.
    Where the cost of these systems change is in the costs later on. If you have to pay subscriptions to connect to your own alarm.
    There are no ongoing charges with the GSD panels.

You could do it that way.How big is your house? For the sake of a few hundred a clean install may be worth it.
    As always shop around & get a few prices.

• Advertisement

I would use what you have there than spend money you may not have to replacing all your devices. Its more than likely a faulty device or devices which can be easily replaced. Too many company's looking to do a fresh install than fix the problem in the first place.

@ altor & Koolkid. Again much appreciated, will definitely look into the GSD I70. It looks far more suitable than the PhoneWatch system.

From the GSD website, are the Installers the same as the Distributors? (Link)

From what I can see there are just two distributors on the Northside of Dublin so I will contact both to see what kind of quotes they give.

No , Distributors are wholesalers. GSD are very easy to deal with. Give them a call & they will point you in the right direction.

@ altor & Koolkid. Again much appreciated, will definitely look into the GSD I70. It looks far more suitable than the PhoneWatch system.

From the GSD website, are the Installers the same as the Distributors? (Link)

From what I can see there are just two distributors on the Northside of Dublin so I will contact both to see what kind of quotes they give.

The distributors will also point you in the right direction to local installers of this system in your area.

Advertisement