Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48months tethering

Options
  • 10-02-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried tethering a MacBook from their iphone 5 using the 48months network?

For occasional use when not in a wifi zone.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

According to my son you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Yorky wrote: »
    Has anyone tried tethering a MacBook from their iphone 5 using the 48months network?

For occasional use when not in a wifi zone.

Not sure why the above poster said you cannot as I had two months without WiFi in my flat and I put myself on the Mitch plan (15GB's of data). Was able to tethered from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) to my laptop no problem.

TL;DR Yes you can tethering with 48 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

not1but4 wrote: »
    Not sure why the above poster said you cannot as I had two months without WiFi in my flat and I put myself on the Mitch plan (15GB's of data). Was able to tethered from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) to my laptop no problem.

TL;DR Yes you can tethering with 48 months.

Because it won't work for him, it's not that hard to understand.

btw, it's also against their T&Cs, so not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I've also used tethering on the 48 network with a Samsung phone (custom ROM) & Nexus 7. Also shared it the odd time with a few people (various devices).

Apparently it can be got to work if you get their APN settings and put it in yourself, which they don't support;

"That is the official answer from 48:
    Unfortunately under the terms and conditions of 48 we do not allow use if your phone as a hotspot. It's called tethering and we don't allow it.
    We sort of turn a blind eye to this if you do it but I cannot help you set it up."

• Advertisement
Advertisement