Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colic?

Options
  • 10-02-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

8 week old with trapped wind, loads of explosive nappies (tmi - sorry!), crying when not in my arms, sleeping for 30 mins at night then waking up screaming, infacol not doing anything, not taking bottle properly (gulping, spitting it out side of mouth when he's feeding) - is this colic? If so, are there any other mammies out there who have gone though this? Any tips? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya probably colic or whats referred to as colic. id love o be able to give you the solution because god love you its a nightmare. as far as i can see though there isn't one, or at least not one that works for everyone.

you will get a 100 different bits of advice and you will try them all, some will work for an hour and some will work for a day and eventtually one will work all the time, coincidentally at the same momemt your little one out grows the blasted thing ( could be tomorrow could be in a month)

the only practical advice is go to your gp and see what they say. out from that try and get away completely on occasion. If your partner is on baby duty dont sit in the next room listening to the wailing, leave the house, go for a walk, a drive, a pint, anything, because otherwise you will go mad.

it will pass and the kid will be fine. forget about whatever type of parenting you were planning on, if the only way the child will sleep is in your bed then in your bed he/she goes. if you need to strap the child to your chest all day to keep it quite then do that, you can worry about routines etc later.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Infacol isn't the only thing out there. consult with pharmacy. Try colief maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

farmchoice wrote: »
    ya probably colic or whats referred to as colic. id love o be able to give you the solution because god love you its a nightmare. as far as i can see though there isn't one, or at least not one that works for everyone.

you will get a 100 different bits of advice and you will try them all, some will work for an hour and some will work for a day and eventtually one will work all the time, coincidentally at the same momemt your little one out grows the blasted thing ( could be tomorrow could be in a month)

the only practical advice is go to your gp and see what they say. out from that try and get away completely on occasion. If your partner is on baby duty dont sit in the next room listening to the wailing, leave the house, go for a walk, a drive, a pint, anything, because otherwise you will go mad.

it will pass and the kid will be fine. forget about whatever type of parenting you were planning on, if the only way the child will sleep is in your bed then in your bed he/she goes. if you need to strap the child to your chest all day to keep it quite then do that, you can worry about routines etc later.

good luck.

Thank you so much! That is the best advice I've got so far! And it made me feel much better on this sh*tty colic-y day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I found gripe water gave my little girl amazing relief pretty much immediately fr trapped wind etc. we have it to her via syringe. It's not nice giving it that way as you will find they do resist and cough and splutter a bit. But literally as soon as she got it she relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I found gripe water gave my little girl amazing relief pretty much immediately fr trapped wind etc. we have it to her via syringe. It's not nice giving it that way as you will find they do resist and cough and splutter a bit. But literally as soon as she got it she relaxed.

Gripe water works wonders.
    Also used an ounce of warm water with the tip of a spoon of brown sugar. It was recommended to us by our GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Another one for gripe water. My baby had permanent wind no matter how much we winded her and she is breastfed. The day we gave her gripe water the burp she let sounded like it came from a man! She has been a different baby since. I found infacol works better since we gave her gripe water. Gripe water seems to get her wind up and infacol seems to help her poo. Hope you are feeling ok Carrie6, the days can seem very long when they don't sleep very long. It really does get better.

fall wrote: »
    Another one for gripe water. My baby had permanent wind no matter how much we winded her and she is breastfed. The day we gave her gripe water the burp she let sounded like it came from a man! She has been a different baby since. I found infacol works better since we gave her gripe water. Gripe water seems to get her wind up and infacol seems to help her poo. Hope you are feeling ok Carrie6, the days can seem very long when they don't sleep very long. It really does get better.

Thanks a million... It has been such a long and hard few days. I no longer feel like myself :-( I have an 18 month old who has a cold too so he's not really getting the right attention either. I never had any colic/wind issue with him. I guess all babies are different. I'll go to chemist in the morning and get some gripe water. I thought you couldn't get it anymore for some reason. Thank you all sincerely, I so appreciate your help and advice xx

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Thanks a million... It has been such a long and hard few days. I no longer feel like myself :-( I have an 18 month old who has a cold too so he's not really getting the right attention either. I never had any colic/wind issue with him. I guess all babies are different. I'll go to chemist in the morning and get some gripe water. I thought you couldn't get it anymore for some reason. Thank you all sincerely, I so appreciate your help and advice xx

They stopped doing gripe water years ago as it contained alcohol. But they stopped putting alcohol in it but then it was only available up the North. Recently they have started selling it again in the south but a lot of chemists still don't have it in yet or even know you can get it in the south now. If you have trouble getting some perhaps people here could tell you where is nearest to you that have have it? Of you can't find it anywhere and are in Dublin I have a bottle you can have all else failing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Maybe try some lactase drops in the bottle, sounds more like your little one has a bigger problem than colic. Colic is usually pain, drawing the knees up sometime with wind. My now 5 year old has a problem with dairy in general and when I went from breastfeeding to bottles he was like this too, explosive nappies and screaming with pain. the lactase drops sorted him after trying about 5 different types of formula.
    If it's not that, the drops won't do anything harm and you can rule out that problem before going through weeks of trying different formulas. Also have a look at the teat it might be too fast flow if your baby is having difficulty swallowing.. It's a trial and error time.. best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I feel for you,, in a similar situation with a 7 week old.
    He had very bad wind, I found it impossible to burb him.
    He stopped going for poos and after 2 days of not going there would be a massive explosion, then it all started over again.
    We changed feed from normal aptimal to aptimal comfort for colic and constipation.
    We ordered gripe water on line and use before each feed.
    And lastly we got bigger teet the no 2. Size.

This has definitely helped for us.

I hope you find something that works for you, its very distressing to be coping with.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

I've been there and now with a 13 month old it feels like a distant memory. It's hard going but remember it doesn't last forever. My nephew had it and I tryed infacol and gaviscon for infants just like he had. I found the gaviscon helped. Remember its not your fault and it won't last for long

5.50am and I've been pacing up and down with him for an hour! He's definitely in pain poor thing. Has had 2 explosion nappies since midnight. His body is all tense and he's trying hard to push down or fart. Reading your comments has helped a lot just knowing that it's not all my fault!

He's sucking a soother now which is keeping him quiet for a few minutes. I'm going to try all the things suggested. I'll send husband to chemist first thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gripe Water can be got from Amazon.co.uk

Just use Parcel Motel to get it sent over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gripe Water can be got from Amazon.co.uk

Just use Parcel Motel to get it sent over.

It's available in Ireland, I know my local pharmacy stocks it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It sounds more like reflux in my non expert opinion.
    Tak to the PHN.
    Lactase is worth a try too,it might be a dairy intolerance.

Thanks for all your help.

Started him on colief on Wednesday. He had a great day Wednesday and Thursday and back to normal (screaming, not sleeping etc) Friday! Started him on comfort milk on Saturday afternoon and didn't see much of a change in him but he did sleep better last night so we'll see. I think it's reflux too now. Will see how he gets on and maybe go to gp about reflux if it doesn't work out. Hate messing with his little system like this but also hate seeing him in such discomfort.

Also couldn't get gripe water anywhere. All I got were filthy looks from pharmacists telling me that it was unlicensed in Ireland...

Also couldn't get gripe water anywhere. All I got were filthy looks from pharmacists telling me that it was unlicensed in Ireland...

Eegits. It wasn't licenced in Ireland but has recently become licenced. Those pharmacists obviously aren't up to date. Lol. Hope you guys are doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Eegits. It wasn't licenced in Ireland but has recently become licenced. Those pharmacists obviously aren't up to date. Lol. Hope you guys are doing ok.

Sligo have you seen gripe water in shops/chemists anywhere since it became licenced? I'm putting together a box of tricks for a friend who's due soon and I'd love to stick a few bottles in. I had a load posted over from the UK by my sister in law when my daughter was a newborn!

Sligo have you seen gripe water in shops/chemists anywhere since it became licenced? I'm putting together a box of tricks for a friend who's due soon and I'd love to stick a few bottles in. I had a load posted over from the UK by my sister in law when my daughter was a newborn!

I'm in Dublin but I haven't seen it in Dublin as haven't looked for it. I saw it in 2 pharmacies in sligo. I did ask once I mccabes in dundrum and they said they didn't have it because it wasn't licenced (that was a couple weeks ago). I informed tjem it was now licenced according to another pharmacy. We have a stash from up the North so I can't say I've really been looking for it tho. It's a lot cheaper up the North I think. But I remember someone on here saying somewhere in blanchardstown had some. There's a thread you could post on to see. I'll see if I can find it.

• Advertisement

Have a look here and maybe ask :)
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057238466/1/#post91024753

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Thanks Sligo :D

I'm in Dublin but I haven't seen it in Dublin as haven't looked for it. I saw it in 2 pharmacies in sligo. I did ask once I mccabes in dundrum and they said they didn't have it because it wasn't licenced (that was a couple weeks ago). I informed tjem it was now licenced according to another pharmacy. We have a stash from up the North so I can't say I've really been looking for it tho. It's a lot cheaper up the North I think. But I remember someone on here saying somewhere in blanchardstown had some. There's a thread you could post on to see. I'll see if I can find it.

I rang ever pharmacy near me (in Kildare) and none of them have it. Londis in clane stock it but they're out of it for now.

I rang ever pharmacy near me (in Kildare) and none of them have it. Londis in clane stock it but they're out of it for now.

That's a pity :(. I have 3 sealed bottles here and I wuda helped u out but we in Dublin. But it does sound like it could be a bit of reflux. The gripe really does help for wind tho. Hope u get sorted soon.

It prob bad me saying I would give u a bottle? Lol... I'm not dodgy but just realised you prob wouldn't want something from a random internet stranger! Lol

That's a pity :(. I have 3 sealed bottles here and I wuda helped u out but we in Dublin. But it does sound like it could be a bit of reflux. The gripe really does help for wind tho. Hope u get sorted soon.

It prob bad me saying I would give u a bottle? Lol... I'm not dodgy but just realised you prob wouldn't want something from a random internet stranger! Lol

Haha!! Even if you were dodgy I probably would've taken it from you I was so desperate for the stuff!!! Thanks so much for the offer!

So far the comfort milk seems to have made a difference and he's definitely more comfortable but still has the bad wind. But I have a smiley baby today for the first time in 8 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's truly awful isn't it?

My son had it from about 10 weeks to about 20 weeks. It stopped as suddenly as it started but while it happened i never realised a baby could cry so much:(

Massage tummy, warm bath, walk around with baby, gentle rocking, drive in car.
    I think these things were just to distract me while the poor baby just wailed, but it did end and he survived;)

It's truly awful isn't it?

My son had it from about 10 weeks to about 20 weeks. It stopped as suddenly as it started but while it happened i never realised a baby could cry so much:(

Massage tummy, warm bath, walk around with baby, gentle rocking, drive in car.
    I think these things were just to distract me while the poor baby just wailed, but it did end and he survived;)

Ah thanks. It's so good to hear advice and that I'm not the only one to go through it! It's truly awful for the poor fella but hopefully like your little baba it'll end as quickly as it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

No product with 'gripe' in its name is listed on the HPRA website as licensed in Ireland. Can you provide me with a link to the source of your information? Thanks

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    No product with 'gripe' in its name is listed on the HPRA website as licensed in Ireland. Can you provide me with a link to the source of your information? Thanks

I don't have a link. As I said previously it was a 2 qualified pharmacists who provided me with this information in 2 different pharmacies. I'm hardly going to go and research this after they've provided me with this information if I'm happy with it. I would only have looked into it more if I had reason to suspect otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Hi carrie06, posted here last week, I thought my little fella had settled down, but not the case now.
    it feels like back to square one with the wind and constipation, some days he will just cry on & off for the day.
    I am finding it hard to manage on the bad days.
    I am beginning to think that its just going to be like this until he grows out of it.

Advertisement