Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    No product with 'gripe' in its name is listed on the HPRA website as licensed in Ireland. Can you provide me with a link to the source of your information? Thanks

Also to add, if you are wanting to research this yourself the ingredients are dill herb and sodium bicarbonate. You could try this as your search criteria and it may possibly bring up something which gripe didn't? I can also give you the number to the pharmacies if you would like to question them on this matter further. Unfortunately I'm not a trained pharmacist so can't really provide any further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Also to add, if you are wanting to research this yourself the ingredients are dill herb and sodium bicarbonate. You could try this as your search criteria and it may possibly bring up something which gripe didn't? I can also give you the number to the pharmacies if you would like to question them on this matter further. Unfortunately I'm not a trained pharmacist so can't really provide any further information.

I am a pharmacist, one of the ones you have branded an eegit! I can't find any information to indicate it's now licensed. So, maybe the two pharmacists you spoke to were wrong and all the other pharmacists that posters enquired with are actually correct. I'll look into it further anyway.

I am a pharmacist, one of the ones you have branded an eegit! I can't find any information to indicate it's now licensed. So, maybe the two pharmacists you spoke to were wrong and all the other pharmacists that posters enquired with are actually correct. I'll look into it further anyway.

Apologies, however, I didn't brand you personally an Eegit. Only the ones who said it wasn't licenced when I had been told by 2 pharmacists it was. And if that is a mistake and I have been given incorrect/false information from 2 fully qualified pharmacists then I take my statement back. Would you like the contact details of these pharmacies?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Jopax have you tried colief? Or changed formula? Hope you are doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

jopax wrote: »
    Hi carrie06, posted here last week, I thought my little fella had settled down, but not the case now.
    it feels like back to square one with the wind and constipation, some days he will just cry on & off for the day.
    I am finding it hard to manage on the bad days.
    I am beginning to think that its just going to be like this until he grows out of it.

I have a little one with reflux and she used scream and scream and scream. It's so difficult to cope with... Constipation is a curse. Could you go to GP and look for something to deal with the constipation? It's very painful and it might help. You have to mind yourself too... I was very guilty of not doing that and I needed to: especially if they aren't sleeping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Apologies, however, I didn't brand you personally an Eegit. Only the ones who said it wasn't licenced when I had been told by 2 pharmacists it was. And if that is a mistake and I have been given incorrect/false information from 2 fully qualified pharmacists then I take my statement back. Would you like the contact details of these pharmacies?

Thanks buy the same info is available to all of us so I'll check it out myself! Like any area though, pharmacy can be rife with rumours..........so 'X manufacturer are planning on applying for a licence' can easily turn into 'I definitely heard it's officially available'. I'll report back if I find anything out.

Thanks buy the same info is available to all of us so I'll check it out myself! Like any area though, pharmacy can be rife with rumours..........so 'X manufacturer are planning on applying for a licence' can easily turn into 'I definitely heard it's officially available'. I'll report back if I find anything out.

Yes do, I'd be really interested to know. And apologies again, I really didn't mean anything personally as such. I know first hand how rumours and different information can circulate in all health professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Hi carrie06, posted here last week, I thought my little fella had settled down, but not the case now.
    it feels like back to square one with the wind and constipation, some days he will just cry on & off for the day.
    I am finding it hard to manage on the bad days.
    I am beginning to think that its just going to be like this until he grows out of it.

You poor thing. It is so hard to manage the bad days. I changed to comfort milk and now a week later I have a different baby. Smiling, chilled out and more importantly, sleeping at night. He still has bad bottom wind which I manage by gently pushing his legs to his chest and that usually relieves him. The wind wakes him up sometimes which is a pity but he's never great at getting it up with a burp. I never got hold of the gripe water in the end but don't think I'll need it if things continue as is. Maybe you could try changing the milk (and bottles and teats) and see if that improves things? And as they get older of course the easier it will get

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    You poor thing. It is so hard to manage the bad days. I changed to comfort milk and now a week later I have a different baby. Smiling, chilled out and more importantly, sleeping at night. He still has bad bottom wind which I manage by gently pushing his legs to his chest and that usually relieves him. The wind wakes him up sometimes which is a pity but he's never great at getting it up with a burp. I never got hold of the gripe water in the end but don't think I'll need it if things continue as is. Maybe you could try changing the milk (and bottles and teats) and see if that improves things? And as they get older of course the easier it will get

Sorry Jopax, just realised you've already tried the comfort milk. I'm using the cow and gate but doubt that makes any difference. Pharmacist strongly advised aptimil but I was already on cow and gate after breastfeeding and didn't want to do too many changes. Colief, infacol were useless for us too. I really hope your situation improves. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

fall wrote:
    Jopax have you tried colief? Or changed formula? Hope you are doing ok.

Hi fall, yes I changed to the comfort formula which seemed to help for a while. I have been using gripe water too. I will get the colief and give that a try, thanks.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote:
    I have a little one with reflux and she used scream and scream and scream. It's so difficult to cope with... Constipation is a curse. Could you go to GP and look for something to deal with the constipation? It's very painful and it might help. You have to mind yourself too... I was very guilty of not doing that and I needed to: especially if they aren't sleeping.

thanks cyning, that is a good idea, I actually have the 2 mth vaccine next week so I will ask the nurse about the constipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

thanks cyning, that is a good idea, I actually have the 2 mth vaccine next week so I will ask the nurse about the constipation.

My first suffered awfully with constipation so I know the pain it can cause... Have a chat with them: they can normally reccomend something.

Carrie6OD wrote:
    Sorry Jopax, just realised you've already tried the comfort milk. I'm using the cow and gate but doubt that makes any difference. Pharmacist strongly advised aptimil but I was already on cow and gate after breastfeeding and didn't want to do too many changes. Colief, infacol were useless for us too. I really hope your situation improves. All the best

thanks carrie06, I'm of the same mind about changing the formula, I've done it once and don't want to be chopping & changing, so I will just stick with it & hope it stops soon.

Carrie6OD wrote:

thanks carrie06, I'm of the same mind about changing the formula, I've done it once and don't want to be chopping & changing, so I will just stick with it & hope it stops soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Try cooled boiled water to help with constipation too. My first had terrible trouble, we actually had to use a suppository he got so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

A spoonful of sugar for every oz of water. The best constipation cure given to me by my old Gp 16 years ago. It's only a temporary cure, the more I read the more important sure it's not the type of formula your baby is having difficulty with but just formula in general.
    You need to get to your gp, write a list of baby's symptoms and tell him you want a referral for lactose intolerance testing. Don't be fobbed off. I was told to my face by a consultant that I was just over anxious and go home. Discomfort in a baby after eating is not normal, some babies don't produce the lactase enzyme that breaks down cows milk sugars. This causes wind, pain and either constipation or diaherra. The lactose will ferment in the gut cos it can't be broken down. SMA have a lactose free formula, you can get it on supervalu and tesco, it's €8.99.

Advertisement