Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy rash

Options
  • 10-02-2015 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Our 5 month old has developed fairly bad nappy rash. Looks fairly sore too. It came out of nowhere. Was fine then 2 hours later it was raw red. Latley her pee seems to smell aswell. Missus makes out it's from teething? Any ideas how to get rid of it? It has to be hurting her! :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

My child rarely suffered any thing worse than a mild rash, I thought this was down to regularly checking when the nappy was full or after a set time as I think urine has a certain pH that aids rashes, maybe try a different nappy brand, we mostly used non branded types and had no problems with them.
    Sudocream or some kind of baby barrier cream that you could ask or look for in boots might help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Yes we change her nappy every 2 hours,sometimes earlier if we see its wet. Just cant understand how it came out of nowhere, it was fine and literally 2 hours later it was raw. Have been putting plenty sudo on it but doesn't seem to be any improvement

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The two things I found worked best for any of mine were Morhulin cream (cheapest cream in the pharmacy!) and Aldi nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

We always used Bepanthen whenever ours would get nappy rash. It always did the trick for us. If the rash was particularly bad we'd cover it with Sudocream.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I can't recommend La Roche Posay Cicaplast enough. My local chemist recommend it to everyone for nappy rash. When all else failed for my niece (sudocrem, Bepanthen, basically every product out there!) this worked wonders. It's amazing stuff. Around €12.50 in most Chemists.

• Advertisement

The two things I found worked best for any of mine were Morhulin cream (cheapest cream in the pharmacy!) and Aldi nappies.

She's in Aldi nappies, we find them great, no leaks! Lots of people seem to look down on us for using them though. Will try Morhulin so because the sudo is not helping. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Teething is blamed for everything from drooling to random rashes, temperatures, to nearly every sickness like tummy bugs and sneezing (and even historically death! People used to cut babies gums during teething). It causes none of those things, but it's a handy scapegoat because babies teeth so often it often overlaps with various ailments.

If it's very bad and patchy or bleeding it could be a fungal infection or something like that. See a GP for it, they have prescription anti-fungal creams for that. Or have a google of fungal nappy rashes if you're not at work maybe.

If it's not too bad, barrier creams like vaseline and changing the nappy very frequently help.

We always used Bepanthen whenever ours would get nappy rash. It always did the trick for us. If the rash was particularly bad we'd cover it with Sudocream.

What is Bepanthen? A cream or what? Should we stop using talc powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ComfortKid wrote: »
    She's in Aldi nappies, we find them great, no leaks! Lots of people seem to look down on us for using them though.

LOL, how do they even know what brand of nappy the child is in?

That's what I said, How the f*** could teeth cause a rash down there! It is fairly bad, not bleeding but looks like a graze or burn. Its 2 or 3 patches. It's like this for 3 days now. Not getting any worse or better. Have been letting her free in her play mat alot hoping the air might do her good but no. You're scaring me now about fungal infections, Il advise her to bring her to doc I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Didn't use talc until recently, maybe give that up in case it's an allergic or some other kind of reaction? Then you can try rule other things in or out? I think combining products might not help and possibly talc absorbs moisture from the baby's skin? We used aldi nappies infrequently but didn't suit us for the fit,but found lidl, Dunne's and boots all fine.

pwurple wrote:
    LOL, how do they even know what brand of nappy the child is in?

Mother's often discuss what products they use with other mothers ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Our 5 month old has developed fairly bad nappy rash. Looks fairly sore too. It came out of nowhere. Was fine then 2 hours later it was raw red. Latley her pee seems to smell aswell. Missus makes out it's from teething? Any ideas how to get rid of it? It has to be hurting her! :-(

We had this got a powder from the chemist to help cant remember the name but im sure most would be able to help you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pwurple wrote: »
    Teething is blamed for everything from drooling to random rashes, temperatures, to nearly every sickness like tummy bugs and sneezing (and even historically death! People used to cut babies gums during teething). It causes none of those things, but it's a handy scapegoat because babies teeth so often it often overlaps with various ailments.

And then again it could simply be teething. Our son and daughter used/still do get pretty bad rashes when they were teething, their bums would be pretty raw. It's more unlikely that it's a fungal infection.

We tried all the creams mentioned in this thread, including the La Roche stuff, but the Burts Bees Diaper cream is without doubt the best of them all. It puts a nice barrier over the sore part protecting the damaged skin while also doing a pretty great job of healing what's beneath.

It could also be a sign of a food allergy, but you'll get a good idea yourselves over the next while as to how it heals and when it flares up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Morhoulin is gone off market I was heartbroken it was the best thing ever!

That rash you are describing happens my oldest daughter (2.5) she can go from nothing to blisters and bleeding in an hour. Definitely teething related here: she doesn't dribble or drool so swallows it all down you can see the mucosy nappies.

Different creams work for different people: I found the la Roche posey magic for a while (after you couldn't get morhoulin anymore) but now I use sudocrem with Vaseline over it and caldescene powder on top to clear it. Seems to work for now anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Frog Song wrote: »
    I can't recommend La Roche Posay Cicaplast enough. My local chemist recommend it to everyone for nappy rash. When all else failed for my niece (sudocrem, Bepanthen, basically every product out there!) this worked wonders. It's amazing stuff. Around €12.50 in most Chemists.

Second this, I used the la Roche posay hand barrier cream. Amazing. Had literally tried everything, over 2 weeks, next step was doctor, but it was clear within a day of using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

What is Bepanthen? A cream or what? Should we stop using talc powder?

Yeah it's a cream, we stopped using talc as it never seems to do anything. Bepanthen is available in the supermarkets and boots, I think it's about €8-€9 for a tube, we only ever applied it when there would be nappy rash and then would revert to sudocream afterwards. It was an aunt who works in a chemist who put us onto it.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter got rashes like that every time she was getting a new tooth.
    We tried loads but what works best is sudocream and caldescene powder.
    then letting her sit in a bath with bread soda for a little while. normally by next morning there would be a huge improvement. we would need to do it for about 3 days in a row to completely clear it . been fine since potty training though.
    My son has only had 1 rash (so far) done the above and was gone very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

That's what I said, How the f*** could teeth cause a rash down there!

Their saliva gets very very acidic with teething. The drool can cause a rash on the face. But they swallow a lot more of it than they drool out. So this often causes stomach issues, such as awful nappies, and sometimes even vomiting. (Some babies are lucky and have none of these issues.)

Bepanthen is brilliant, and so is coconut oil. Both are way better than either sudocrem or vase line. Coconut oil is slightly cheaper and obviously more natural (and can be used as a general moisturiser too, for baby and parents, and also of course for cooking etc.) But if it's very severe, I'd probably use the Bepanthen.

Thanks for all the tips guys. So many suggestions. The missus actually got caldesene a while ago so we will give that a try for a few days and see how it goes. Glad to see it's fairly common and were not doing anything wrong. I find it hard to believe that teething can cause it but her two bottom teeth came up last week and there's a top one coming through the skin now so it is a bit of a coincidence.

• Advertisement

Their saliva gets very very acidic with teething. The drool can cause a rash on the face. But they swallow a lot more of it than they drool out. So this often causes stomach issues, such as awful nappies, and sometimes even vomiting. (Some babies are lucky and have none of these issues.)

Funny that you say that as she has a small rash around her chin latley. And she has had some explosive nappies too, one made it's way up her back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Funny that you say that as she has a small rash around her chin latley. And she has had some explosive nappies too, one made it's way up her back!

Lovely.
    You know the shoulders on baby vests have those folds to make it easy to bring it down the childs body rather than over their head when they have one of those nappies. Reason im telling you this as i never knew that until i had my second baba. i even resorted to cutting a vest off one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

Suucee wrote: »
    Lovely.
    You know the shoulders on baby vests have those folds to make it easy to bring it down the childs body rather than over their head when they have one of those nappies. Reason im telling you this as i never knew that until i had my second baba. i even resorted to cutting a vest off one day.

i didn't know that! good to know, thanks. :)

When our daughter gets nappy rash we use Caldespray. The rash can appear within hours but using the caldespray usually clears it up within hours or overnight. brilliant stuff.

Yea she showed me that, very handy! Save having to wash her hair after a poo haha. Thanks.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

And she has had some explosive nappies too, one made it's way up her back!

Welcome to parenthood.

Wonderful, isn't it!!

Wonderful, isn't it!!

Great craic shur, especially at 8am! In fairness we had her stay at her Grandparents the other night for the first time, house felt so empty. I would of gladly changed some stinking nappies.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Frog Song wrote: »

I found it useless, but I think all those creams are trial and error to see what suits each child. Mostly sudocreme worked for us but we had vasogen, bepanthen, caldesene in our arsenal.

Try to give nappy free time too, put an old towel folded over down and lie her on it without a nappy or creams to let air dry up the rash for as long as you can, as often as you can. I found that helped a lot too.

Neyite wrote:
    Try to give nappy free time too, put an old towel folded over down and lie her on it without a nappy or creams to let air dry up the rash for as long as you can, as often as you can. I found that helped a lot too.

Yea we have been doing this alot now aswell. Like you said tis all trial and error. We'll try the caldesene for 2 or 3 days now and see. Sudocream did nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

My Phn advised bepanthenan with the caldescene powder on top. As the powder will keep the cream on and stop it wiping off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

After trying everything suggested here, I went into the chemist and the pharmacist suggested canestan 1% cream. Cleared it up in 2 days, from bleeding and raw. If it's fungal barrier creams will soothe but they won't clear it up. Might be worth trying if everything else doesn't. You need to use it for a week after the rash clears up to make sure it's gone.

Advertisement