Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy rash

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

pwurple wrote: »
    Teething is blamed for everything from drooling to random rashes

It most certainly causes these, as well as changes in digestion and nappy contents due to the large volume of saliva swallowed.

Ridiculous advice.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My friend's baby had terrible nappy rash. The baby was actually raw and blistered for weeks. It actually looked like a burn. She only used Pampers on him because she thought she was using only the best to give him a chance.

Then she saw an article in the paper comparing nappies.

Pampers, it turned out, had the highest bleach content to make them look lovely and white. Aldi came out tops in the comparison so she swapped to Aldi and saw an immediate improvement.

I put a Tesco nappy on my little fella one day and he got a similar reaction. I immediately put a different one on him and it cleared up. A few weeks later, thinking it might have just been a coincidence, I tried again. Exactly the same thing happened. So that packet of nappies was donated to a child who didn't react to them!

Try a few different things. You'll find what works best for your baby. It's such a relief when you find something that works.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Servort wrote: »
    It most certainly causes these, as well as changes in digestion and nappy contents due to the large volume of saliva swallowed.

Ridiculous advice.

Many doctors and paediatricians and pharmacists are unconvinced, mostly this idea that teething is linked to nappy rash comes from anecdotal accounts from parents themselves. There is no medical proof if I recall correctly that there is a definitive link between nappy rash and teething.

I've seen it in my own child, a rash would flare, then he'd get an elevated temperature and a tooth would appear, so I do think its linked myself. But I also know thats my own gut feeling rather than medical proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think the anecdotal evidence, while not medically proofed, is overwhelming. Either that, or there's millions of parents out there and their kids having the same coincidental symptoms and causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well it's pretty easy to prove that the saliva is not more acidic. You just do a litmus test. It ain't true, sorry, just a mammy-myth.

Drooling has got to do with the activation of salivary glands... it often happens around the same time as teething starts. Mine drooled a lot young, learned how to swallow her drool, and teething started months later. Got teeth with no drool whatsoever.

Other baby did drool as she got a pile of her first teeth, but not for the rest. Timing was different, she just got her teeth younger.

Babies are picking up loads of airborne bugs and their immune system is constantly learning in those first few months. Nappies change very often, teething or not. I've a 11 month old with three teeth, she hasn't gotten teeth in months, but still has the odd explosive nappy session, tiny bit of rash etc.

Of all the other things going on in her life, new food, going new places, the whole family traipsing through her life with new bugs on us and in the air.... I don't know how people assume the one changing variable is teeth with all the other millions of things going on? Looking for a culprit I guess.

But hey, whatever the cause, you can't exactly stop them getting teeth, or meeting people, or eating, so you look after the nappy rash all on it's own.

I don't know how that is "ridiculous advice". :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think the anecdotal evidence, while not medically proofed, is overwhelming. Either that, or there's millions of parents out there and their kids having the same coincidental symptoms and causes.

Dunno about overwhelming, but I do see that its very commonly linked. Its when people start saying the rash is caused by acidity in saliva etc is when its stops becoming anecdotal and becomes more cyberdiagnostic.

My theory, is that when we are unwell or in pain, our stomachs can sometimes get upset too, and that it might be something like this causes changes in nappy contents and a rash. I know several children who would puke on certain foods - mainly dairy -when teething, but eat it happily the rest of the time.

And pee smelling more pungent? Simply put, they are ingesting less fluids when poorly, they drink less because they have sore mouths and probably less of an appetite.

Those are my theories - untested and unproven though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe, puts pedantic hat on, but teething ultimately causes it.

I'm far from the airy fairy 7th son of a 7th son with the cure and magic crystals homeopathic type, but I do think they're linked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Neyite wrote:
    And pee smelling more pungent? Simply put, they are ingesting less fluids when poorly, they drink less because they have sore mouths and probably less of an appetite.

Our one certainly isn't drinking less fluids. She's perfectly normal apart from drooling and nappy rash. I wasn't inclined to believe the rash was caused by teething but it can't be such a coincidence that it happens to thousands or millions of babys at the same time as the teething starts.

Advertisement