Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a good reciepe to put sausages in?

Options
  • 10-02-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

looking to find a non boring reciepe to cook sausages tonight. Was going to do bangers and mash but not quite in the mood for that.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sausage and rice casserole? I've never made it myself but a family I stayed with in America used to make and it was amazing. Always enough for lunch the next day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Toad in the hole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I made this sausage casserole not too long ago, really lovely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sausage_casserole_73010

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Definitely cassoulet (has to be said with heavy French accent for extra effect), get some nice crusty bread to have with it!

Edit; just read the above recipe which is probably very authentic but when I make it I just chop up some onions and garlic, soften in butter and a little oil, fry off my sausages, add a little red wine, tinned toms, few different types of beans and maybe a little spoon of brown sugar, let it cook down to a sticky deliciousness and enjoy! I do like the sound of the bacon added, my hubby may have done that with ours at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For questions like this your first port of call should be The Cooking Club. Here's a link to Moody Mona's Sausage Casserole.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Probably too late for dinner, but I would pan fry for colour before snipping into bite sized pieces. Continue to fry, adding bashed fennel seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, dried chilli flakes. Once garlic is cooked add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some salt, pepper and sugar. Cook down and add to your favourite pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This sausage & potato pie from a Nigel Slater recipe is so tasty. So, so tasty.

Or sausage meatballs & pasta - mmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I had sausages in tomato sauce with pasta for dinner. Snip up sausages with scissors, fry a bit, add a sliced onion, when the onion is soft and the sausages cooked, add half a carton of passata, 1 tsp garlic purée, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika and 1/2 tsp black pepper, cook for a few mins to let spices infuse, serve on pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

Sausages
    Chorizo
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Baby potatoes
    Parsnips

Chop them all up, throw them in a casserole dish, pour some olive oil over the top, and salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for 1.5hrs at 170c, stirring halfway. The most deliciously simple dinner I've ever made with sausages! Lovely and juicy and moist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is gorgeous.
    Somerset Sausage and Cider Casserole

A delicious dish of succulent pork sausages cooked gently in cider with apples and onions.
    Ingredients

1lb (450g) pork sausages ( I sometimes use pork and leek)
    1 tablespoon mild oil or a knob of butter
    1 large onion, sliced into rings
    2 dessert apples, preferably Cox's, sliced thickly
    Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
    1 tablespoon plain flour
    3/4 pint (425ml) dry Somerset cider (I use Bulmers)
    Directions

1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180 C / 350 F
    2. Heat the oil or butter in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the sausages until well browned all over. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
    3. Reduce the heat and add the onion and apple slices to the pan. Cook gently for a few minutes until soft.
    4. Sprinkle the flour and spices onto the apple and onion mix and continue to cook for a minute or two, stirring gently. Then, add the cider and continue to stir until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil.
    5. Pour over the sausages in the casserole dish, cover and place in the oven for about 45 minutes.
    6. Serve with mashed potato and green vegetables. It is yummy with buttery mash!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You can take the meat out of the sausage skins and use it as the base for a pasta dish. Just fry it off with some herbs/spices/onion/garlic, etc. then add tin of tomatoes and then add cooked pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Baked beans with sausages- fry onions, garlic, sausages, peppers, whatever other veg you have lying around, add mustard smoked paprika, tinned beans (not in sauce- I like a mix of butter beans and navy beans but you can do whatever you like) and tinned tomatoes. Super easy and quick. Delicious with cornbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Jamie Olivers Jools Pregnant Pasta dish is quick and handy to make if you have a food processer

Have never quite managed to make it exactly as the recipe specifies but it has turned out well each time

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-30-minute-meals/articles/all/jools-pasta-with-frangipane-tart-meal-recipe

Probably not too disimilar to what has been mentioned above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Jamie Olivers Jools Pregnant Pasta dish is quick and handy to make if you have a food processer

Have never quite managed to make it exactly as the recipe specifies but it has turned out well each time

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-30-minute-meals/articles/all/jools-pasta-with-frangipane-tart-meal-recipe

Probably not too disimilar to what has been mentioned above

I've made it without a food processor- just squeezed out the sausages then put everything on a board and chopped it with a mezza luna.

LOVE your username btw :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Bit late I know but I love to fry snip a pack of sausages into little 'meatballs', fry with onion, garlic, and red peppers, add a tin of tomatoes and half a carton of mascarpone, season well, and serve with pasta. Good with a salad and bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

mollybird wrote: »
    looking to find a non boring reciepe to cook sausages tonight. Was going to do bangers and mash but not quite in the mood for that.

TIA.

Sausage and lentil casserole. Three thick sausages per person. For two people, boil up 170g of puy lentils (or lentilles vertes, which are the same things only cheaper) in plenty water for 30 minutes. In a saucepan, fry a chopped onion and some garlic, add a tin of tomatoes, some mixed herbs, salt, pepper and a spoon of sugar. Cook for about five to seven minutes until it thickens up. When the lentils are boiled, add them to the tomato mixture with 10 fluid oz of the liquid you boiled them in. (keep some liquid in case you need it later)Fry the sausages and add them to the mixture. Cook it for another thirty minutes, covered. Add liquid if you need.

It's an all in one dish. No need for potatoes, pasta etc. And delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This is my favourite - Rasher and Sausage Pie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94569139#post94569139

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Bit late I know but I love to fry snip a pack of sausages into little 'meatballs', fry with onion, garlic, and red peppers, add a tin of tomatoes and half a carton of mascarpone, season well, and serve with pasta. Good with a salad and bread.
    Add some roast fennel to that, and it brings it into a different league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sausage curry! JUst use your sausages instead of chicken or beef. Quite nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Really easy & tasty pasta bake:

Sausages
    Pasta
    I small carton of cream
    I tin chopped tomatoes
    Cup of grated cheese

Set oven to 180
    Boil pasta until Al Dente - drain & tip into pyrex dish
    Cut sausages length-ways and fry gently. Cut up into smaller pieces. The reason I cut them length ways is that they don't then look like sausages to my small one (who doesn't like sausages apparently!)
    Add the sausages, tin of tomatoes and most of the cream to the pasta.
    Give it a good stir until it's all mixed through
    Top with the cheese and bang into the oven for 20 mins
    It's really good!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's one that I make quite a lot. I had a 'proper' recipe for it once, but lost it so it's all a bit vague quantity wise, but hopefully you'll get the idea. It's a kind of

6 sausages
    chopped streaky bacon or bacon bits
    2-3 carrots
    2-3 sticks celery
    1 onion
    1-2 cloves garlic
    good sized sprig of thyme
    chicken stock
    1 tin of lentils
    1 pot of sour cream

1) Fry bacon or bacon bits until crispy, remove from pan.
    2) Fry sausages in same pan until brown, remove and cut into chunks.
    3) Finely chop carrot, celery and onion and sweat together with crushed garlic in the pan until soft. Season with salt and generous amounts of black pepper, but be sure to taste as stock may well be salty enough.
    4) Add enough stock to just cover the vegetables, add the sprig of thyme and cook gently for about 10-15 mins. Add a little more stock during cooking if it seems a bit dry.
    5) Add drained lentils and heat through.
    5) Add back the chopped sausages and bacon bits, stir through the sour cream and reheat. You can adjust the consistency at this stage with a bit more stock or hot water again if it's a bit thick.

Serve with lots of crusty French bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I just remembered one that we had a lot when I was younger. It was a sausage and rasher quiche.

Just Shortcrust pastry, with cooked and chopped up sausages and rashers covered with beaten eggs.

I used to love this dinner so much. There's a similar recipe in the Cooking Club that you could modify to suit.

2011 Cooking Club Week 19: Chorizo, mushroom, ham and onion quiche

Advertisement