Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laois CTC Spring Classic Sportive on 8th March

• 10-02-2015 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Cycling fans!

The Laois Cycling and Touring Club is organising it's early season sportive on March 8th, the 'Laois Spring Classic'.

We will run it in aid of the Men's Sheds charity.

As previous years, there are two routes: a 100km route with a few hills and a flat 60km route. Both events leave from Portlaoise Equestrian Centre at 10am, with registration open from 8:45am. There are food stops on both routes, and a hot meal when you get back to the finish.

Online entry is open on the Cycling Ireland website.

More details will follow, any questions, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Hope it's a bit warmer than last year! At least being in March this time round, there should be some chance of decent weather.

Is there advance online registration for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...any questions, please let me know.
    Can one register on the day and what is the entry fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Good sportive last year weather was not great few good climbs tough day out but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Hi, you can register on the day from 9:00 a.m.or in advance by following the link on www.laoiscycling.com , which will bring you to the Cycling Ireland page. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

338923.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pieterblurb

You can register on the day from 8:45 or online on the Cycling Ireland/Events website. Look for the events calender. Online registration will give you a discount of €5.

Thanks - Found it under the "Events Booking" tab. Now just need to get some fitness into the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Are there changing/showering facilities at the finish line?

Just want to plan accordingly :)

Are there changing/showering facilities at the finish line?

Just want to plan accordingly :)

Last year there were changing rooms but no showers, so I'd say it's the same this time.

One week to go.

Quite a few boardsies showed up last year, which was great to see.

Our honorary president Paul Kimmage rode the 100km route last year, and it's fair to say he was more than happy to talk to people before, during and after the event.

Paul has confirmed his attendance this year also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Last year there were changing rooms but no showers, so I'd say it's the same this time.

Were the showers during the ride last year not enough? Sadly I'll have to pass this year as it's clashing with a club members 200.

Sadly I'll have to pass this year as it's clashing with a club members 200.

A 200 at this time of year? You're obviously fitter than I am.

Current forecast looks good for the weekend. met.ie is reporting dry, settled and mild.

Anyone got a link to the 100k route? The mapmyride one on the site doesn't appear to be working. Cheers. :)

Edit: I mean with details of climbs and what have you as opposed to directions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

A 200 at this time of year? You're obviously fitter madder than I am.

Current forecast looks good for the weekend. met.ie is reporting dry, settled and mild.

FYP.:D This weekend will make it back to back 200s. Hopefully met.ie have it correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... as it's clashing with a club members 200.
    A 200 at this time of year? You're obviously fitter than I am....
    Sure it's the month of March now! :cool:

I managed to get two 200km+ rides done in January between the frost and black ice! ;)

Anyone got a link to the 100k route? The mapmyride one on the site doesn't appear to be working. Cheers. :)

Edit: I mean with details of climbs and what have you as opposed to directions. :)

This is the 100km route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/611418150. One reasonable climb out of Ballyragget towards Castlecomer, and then another drag out of The Swan towards Timahoe.

This is the 100km route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/611418150. One reasonable climb out of Ballyragget towards Castlecomer, and then another drag out of The Swan towards Timahoe.

Cheers :)

For anyone who's interested, this is the 60km route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/609712098

Basically, a shortcut to Timahoe, and then it follows the rest of the 100km route to the finish.

341112.jpg

Weather forecast for Sunday looks great! Online pre registration has closed, but you can register in person from 8:30 am on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Best of luck with the day folks, really enjoyed it last year, sorry I can't make it again on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

I might be able to make this haven't got much done this year so far. So if I feel good on the 60 km can I change mind and join the 100km group when the split happens? Can't imagine no reason not too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Looking forward to this. :)

ironkiwi wrote: »
    I might be able to make this haven't got much done this year so far. So if I feel good on the 60 km can I change mind and join the 100km group when the split happens? Can't imagine no reason not too?

No problem ironkiwi.

The split comes in pretty soon after the start, about 10km I think. So decision will need to be made soon after kicking off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

No problem ironkiwi.

The split comes in pretty soon after the start, about 10km I think. So decision will need to be made soon after kicking off.

Thanks Super Freak I think I'll stick to the 60 km don't think the legs are up to the 100km yet :)

Looks like the overnight rain will be gone by the time we get underway tomorrow, so hopefully everyone will stay dry!

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Thanks Super Freak I think I'll stick to the 60 km don't think the legs are up to the 100km yet :)

Super Freak and I, will be looking after the food stop in Timahoe for the 60 km, make sure to say hello!!!!

Millionaires Shortbread made for DaithiBC for tomorrow - the one request he always puts in for the @LaoisCTC Spring Classic - had to drag a child home from college, but it had to be done :)

A tough but enjoyable day out there, only my 4th ever time doing a distance of 100km or more.

Figured I was propping up the field for the last 10km or so as the ambulance was tooked in behind me that whole time but there was a couple more in after me in the end. Maybe I just looked like I might need them. :D

A tough last section into that headwind, but great food at the end to make it worthwhile. Thanks to all the marshals - no chance of getting lost. And the millionaires' shortbread was excellent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement