Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier LeagueTV Rights 2016to 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Its going to pay for Tottenhams new Stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/oct/19/the-question-how-competitive-premier-league

It's from 2011, though I suspect it's still a fairly relevant article. The idea that only in England do the small teams beat the big teams is ridiculous. I'd also argue that if the big teams slip up so often it is perhaps more because those big teams are not as good as their Spanish/German counterparts.

Which speaks to its quality, not its competitiveness. You have, as usual, missed the crux of the issue we are discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Its an awful pity the F.A. would'nt force the EPL to distribute a far higher percentage of TV money to the lower leagues. Championship teams are way below Prem Lge standard in the main. And because they are so strapped for cash, even the winners of the C'ship will generally struggle in the Prem Lge. Its the classic case of the rich get richer & f**k everyone else.

The idea of spreading games over a four day weekend is to suck up all of the oxygen in the room. And not just domestically either. The new friday night fixtures will punish the game in this country even more so than usual. Gotta keep everybody glued to that television set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

With a limit on the number of teams entering the champions league and all the best players wanting to win the champions league regardless of money the really high quality players in Europe will be spread amongst the top 6 or 7 teams in each of the top 5 european leagues.So this new deal will probably mean that premier league teams are now going to be fleeced by both medicore players and the clubs selling them as I am sure clubs in Spain,Germany Italy France etc must be licking their lips and realizing they can now double the price for any player they sell to a premier league team and with english football not producing as many high quality young players like they do in Spain and Germany it means they have to buy from abroad which means as much money as they get from this deal will probably be wasted and they'll probably help some of their European rivals as much as they help themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Fcuk me that's a lot of money.

The amount of illegal streams out there will mean people will get their sources elsewhere.

I would imagine pub subscriptions will go up, consumer subs will have to go up too, just depends on how much.

Big question now is will BT continue to provide free Bt sports for their broadband customers in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Big question now is will BT continue to provide free Bt sports for their broadband customers in the UK

They'll probably increase the broadband subscription by a few pounds. Straight up removing free BT sport would be a bad business decision. That free perk was the reason one of my friends in the UK ended up switching to BT actually.

Paully D wrote: »
    I'll never be able to thank you enough for introducing me to that mate. biggrin.png

One of the mods told me there will be invites for current members next month if you are looking to invite anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kirby wrote: »
    Which speaks to its quality, not its competitiveness. You have, as usual, missed the crux of the issue we are discussing.

Actually the article I linked addressed exactly what you describe as the "crux" of your article but hey, why even acknowledge it? Sure why don't we avoid that part of my post completely and speak about literally anything else? Weather perhaps? The stock market? I mean, for somebody so concerned with "crux" I'm surprised you missed the highlighted link in my post and then the words afterwards which further draw attention to that link.

I then bring in a secondary point to offer a further opinion as to why perhaps you have the perception that you do, I was then going to back that up with recent Champions League campaigns but I fear we would have moved further away from the slender area that is you crux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its an awful pity the F.A. would'nt force the EPL to distribute a far higher percentage of TV money to the lower leagues.

One of the reasons for the setting up of the breakaway PL in the first place was so they couldn't/wouldn't be forced by the FA to do things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

8-10 wrote: »
    The money around this now means that somebody should seriously invest in tackling illegal streams and paid sites for streaming services.

Should or will?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So basically they'll be only a small number of Saturday 3pm kick offs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

So basically *they'll be only a small number of Saturday 3pm kick offs then.

No, they're getting BT's 12:45 slot, as has been stated already.
    And "there'll". *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    And "there'll". *

Sorry, didn't realise the Typo Police were on duty tonight. I'll hang my head in shame for the next 20 minutes for my calamitous error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You've got to feel the financial bubble is inflating at an alarming rate in English football and is beginning to be stretched as far as it can.

I think there will most likely be a huge financial crash in the game in the next decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

People have been saying that for 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't think it will be too much different than what it is now. It looks like the Friday games are a shared package with the Monday night games, with a preference towards Monday night. The package number or 28 may have increased, but I don't know.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    People have been saying that for 20 years

They only have to be right once. The money being pumped in to the prem has to reach a plateau at some point. Then it's matter of whether the money influx comes down with a soft landing or a bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As long as Sky and BT keep pumping money in, the more subscription prices will rise.

NIMAN wrote: »
    As long as Sky and BT keep pumping money in, the more subscription prices will rise.

And then at what point does a sky or bt subscription become too exorbitant for the average joe bloggs? I gave my one up back in 2012. Simply couldn't justify it at the time with the entire country seemingly going down the tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Certain people will always justify what they pay for TV entertainment.

There is always the argument that if you pay say €80 per month to watch football at home, and cancelled it and went to the pub instead to watch a few games, you'd probably spend that, and maybe more, anyway.

I cancelled my Sky subcription in 2010, can't see me ever paying them money again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Im not sure if Sky or BT are operating in a bubble, their income may be able to cover their outgoings, but the EPL itself is certainly operating in one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

adox wrote: »
    You've got to feel the financial bubble is inflating at an alarming rate in English football and is beginning to be stretched as far as it can.

I think there will most likely be a huge financial crash in the game in the next decade.

I was reading that the PL is only recently after breaking into the US, Chinese and Indian markets. We could see the money get a lot bigger for a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Sky website says it'll be showing Saturday afternoon games. Is this 12.45 games or 3pm games http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/9708810/sky-sports-wins-live-premier-league-rights-to-end-of-201819-season read about half way down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Its going to pay for Tottenhams new Stadium

Well, the interesting thing from a Spurs (and Liverpool) perspective, is that with TV revenue now outstripping match day revenue to an even larger degree, you begin to wonder if a new/expanded stadium is really worth the investment -- particularly as the deal has already been greeted with calls to lower ticket prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sky website says it'll be showing Saturday afternoon games. Is this 12.45 games or 3pm games http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/9708810/sky-sports-wins-live-premier-league-rights-to-end-of-201819-season read about half way down

3pm games are not allowed on TV in the UK by law.

We should have a stickie about that as it comes up so often around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

With this money being pumped into England there will be no more excuses for failure in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There's an ever clearer financial motive and ROI for attempting to shut down illegal streaming of games. I'll be expecting a pretty devastating clampdown on same.

If they make it too expensive to watch and impossible to stream then the bubble will burst. They are making loads of money with the way things are, why fix something that ain't broke. People will simply stop watching it if the product isn't worth the asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

niallo27 wrote: »
    Won't they make most of their money selling their rights in Asia.

in the last deal the rest of the world paid about 2 billion out of 5.
    though from that asia paid nearly a billion

only 10 extra TV fixtures, & 10 is the max that can be shown on fridays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sky are not paying 4bn for Premier League games, they are paying 4bn to keep the company afloat. If they lose the EPL it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sky Shares down 5% this morning - the fact is sinking in how much over the odds they have paid.

Better than the alternative though. They'd be finished without the football and the value of those shares would be way, way down had it gone the other way. They have overpaid though.

To be honest (and this is massively off-topic) I'd happily subscribe to Sky Sports on its own online or through the TV. I cancelled Sky Sports along with the rest of me UPC package last week because whilst I've no issue with paying €45 a month for the Sports I don't want to pay another €35 a month for the rest of the channels when I can get streaming services for so much less. Sky need to revisit their distribution model as I think the sports pack bolted onto a satellite or cable subscription is in danger of being a very outdated way of doing business by the time this contract is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

NIMAN wrote: »
    Certain people will always justify what they pay for TV entertainment.

There is always the argument that if you pay say €80 per month to watch football at home, and cancelled it and went to the pub instead to watch a few games, you'd probably spend that, and maybe more, anyway.

I cancelled my Sky subcription in 2010, can't see me ever paying them money again.

Cancelled my Sky Sports 2 years ago. Can't justifying paying it to watch 2-3 games a month. I'm not interested in watching rugby or any other sport they show apart from football, and even at that, I only watched United games and the odd other big match.
    Having to go further and get a BT subscription, and a Setanta one for games available in Ireland only (open to correction on this one) means I could pay €80 plus quid a month to watch 4-5 games.
    If I was guaranteed to see all Uniteds games then it might be worth re-considering but as it stands, it's not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Still stream using SkyGo on me brother's sub, grand quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Good tweet from Accrington Stanley (as usual). Whoever runs it is excellent.
    The Prem Lge has a new £5bn TV deal. £10m per match. 1 game would pay our annual wage bill for the next 20 years.

Accrington should try to get into that league then.

Even as a supporter of a League Two club I've no time for that train of thought. No one is paying £5bn to watch Accrington Stanley, Southend United or Northampton Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Massive amount of money that will only drive subs higher .. not sure how much more people will be prepared to pay though! It's already a huge amount of money if all you watch is (some) of the football. More again if you have a BT sub on top of that.

What Sky need is an "EPL Pack" that only gives access to EPL games regardless of the channel it's on. Better again if they could work something with BT. In a way I miss the days it all being on Sky. Premiership Plus was the beginning of the end IMO

Streaming will get interesting too. More people looking to switch should drive improvements there as well for the pay sites, unless Sky figure a way to block it.

I think they'll push a lot of the cost onto pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blatter wrote: »
    I was reading that the PL is only recently after breaking into the US, Chinese and Indian markets. We could see the money get a lot bigger for a while longer.

Yeah I agree. When i said the next decade I meant 2020-2030.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ridiculous amount of money, wages and transfer fees will only inflate again. Madness that in the next few years we will probably see players move for over £100m and earn wages of £500k a week, just because they're earning this much though doesn't necessarily mean they will be any better than players we are seeing now or saw 10 years ago. The bubble will surely burst eventually when people realise they are not worth this much money. Personally can't justify paying that much more sky sports just so I might watch maybe 3 games or so a month, usually there are streams available for most games although they can be infuriating at times, as others have said in a few years time I can see the way in which we watch sport changing.

Ridiculous amount of money, wages and transfer fees will only inflate again. Madness that in the next few years we will probably see players move for over £100m and earn wages of £500k a week, just because they're earning this much though doesn't necessarily mean they will be any better than players we are seeing now or saw 10 years ago. The bubble will surely burst eventually when people realise they are not worth this much money. Personally can't justify paying that much more sky sports just so I might watch maybe 3 games or so a month, usually there are streams available for most games although they can be infuriating at times, as others have said in a few years time I can see the way in which we watch sport changing.

They are creating a monster though. There is so much involved that it may stop progress in the way the sport will be watched. The game will just get corrupted and destroyed as we know it. UEFA/FIFA should be thinking of ways to stop it somehow. It is unhealthy for the game globally for that much money to be going into one league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They are creating a monster though. There is so much involved that it may stop progress in the way the sport will be watched. The game will just get corrupted and destroyed as we know it. UEFA/FIFA should be thinking of ways to stop it somehow. It is unhealthy for the game globally for that much money to be going into one league.

Oh I agree 100%, I'm already becoming less interested in it as there is too much money involved. It's unbelievable to think that there are players earning in a week what it could take someone ten years to earn, I really think some kind of wage cap or transfer cap needs to be brought in, but even if it were I'm sure there would be ways around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

With all this extra income you would expect the clubs to reduce their ticket prices as a reward to their loyal fans who are being asked to fork out big money each weekend to support their teams.
    Of course there is no chance that this will happen ,prices will only go one way, up.

Wayne Rooney will probably be looking for another pay rise when he hears about this

There's a lot of jealousy on display here. You'll be talking about nurses wages shortly.

It is simple economics and no more ludicrous than a number of other sports.

With all this extra income you would expect the clubs to reduce their ticket prices as a reward to their loyal fans who are being asked to fork out big money each weekend to support their teams.
    Of course there is no chance that this will happen ,prices will only go one way, up.

If Clubs sell out selling at £50 a ticket then why should they now sell at £20 a ticket instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If Clubs sell out selling at £50 a ticket then why should they now sell at £20 a ticket instead?
    And arguably those clubs (I'm referring to actual football clubs rather than pure businesses like Arsenal, Man United etc who you will never see treat their fans as anything other than consumers) fans would be benefitting from the subsidy of a season ticket already.

Typically its the occasional fan that suffers the most in these situations.

Accrington should try to get into that league then.

Even as a supporter of a League Two club I've no time for that train of thought. No one is paying £5bn to watch Accrington Stanley, Southend United or Northampton Town.

It's a fact not a train of thought.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Typically its the occasional fan that suffers the most in these situations.

True. Clubs should have a responsibility to ensuring that football is still accessible to kids and to other new supporters but I find it difficult to subscribe to the opinion that fans are being priced out of the game when stands are full 19 times a season.

It's a fact not a train of thought.

And it is implying some sort of unfairness or injustice.

And it is implying some sort of unfairness or injustice.

You can read what you want into it. I read the fact and found it stark contrast. Nothing more.

There's a lot of jealousy on display here.

It is simple economics and no more ludicrous than a number of other sports.

It is changing the nature of football as a global game however. The other sports you mention are American Football, Basketball, Baseball i take it. One of the best things about football is that it is a global game, with different styles and cultures from different parts of the world. I doubt UEFA or FIFA would be happy with how big the EPL is getting financially compared to other leagues. I'm not sure what they can do about it, but they'll have to think of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Even less excuse now to adopt the living wage for all their employees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement