Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier LeagueTV Rights 2016to 2019

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think BT won't be to disappointed really.

They will have a nice Saturday evening game every week for 3 years to pimp the Champions League/Europa League, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and other sports etc etc

They also now probabaly have £1/2B to play with to buy up La Liga and other rights.

They also forced Sky to push the limit financially way more than anyone predicted and maybe so much so the Premier League bubble may burst on Sky if they have to raise subs to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It is changing the nature of football as a global game however. The other sports you mention are American Football, Basketball, Baseball i take it. One of the best things about football is that it is a global game, with different styles and cultures from different parts of the world. I doubt UEFA or FIFA would be happy with how big the EPL is getting financially compared to other leagues. I'm not sure what they can do about it, but they'll have to think of something.

Yeah, they should jump up and force Real and Barca to share their €1bn odd tv deals just for them with the rest of the league. The PL deal is far more fair than the La Liga where United would probably make about 1.5bn odd over the same period as this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I think BT won't be to disappointed really.

They will have a nice Saturday evening game every week for 3 years to pimp the Champions League/Europa League, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and other sports etc etc

They also now probabaly have £1/2B to play with to buy up La Liga and other rights.

They also forced Sky to push the limit financially way more than anyone predicted and maybe so much so the Premier League bubble may burst on Sky if they have to raise subs to pay for it.

Honestly if Sky lost La Liga I'd just get rid of the sports package. For the large amount of EPL and La Liga games I can justify paying for it but one without the other isn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wonder will the Premier League move to online subscription services like NFL or baseball in the US. You can sign up to watch every MLB game live online for about €100 a season. I am getting rid of sky at the end of this season. I just can't justify the cost of it for the few games I watch. And with the inevitable hiking of subscription costs it's not worth it. If I could sign up for an official follow your team season ticket that would be ideal. Unfortunately looks like the PL is determined to continue the satellite TV subscription model for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Honestly if Sky lost La Liga I'd just get rid of the sports package. For the large amount of EPL and La Liga games I can justify paying for it but one without the other isn't worth it.

There's other things I watch on Sky, but no La Liga would have to be replaced with Bundesliga to keep my interest.

In truth I'm one of those people who'll probably always retain their Sky and BT subscriptions even if there is less value for money. I watch these things religiously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I wonder will the Premier League move to online subscription services like NFL or baseball in the US. You can sign up to watch every MLB game live online for about €100 a season. I am getting rid of sky at the end of this season. I just can't justify the cost of it for the few games I watch. And with the inevitable hiking of subscription costs it's not worth it. If I could sign up for an official follow your team season ticket that would be ideal. Unfortunately looks like the PL is determined to continue the satellite TV subscription model for the foreseeable future.

The NFL subscription service is not available in the main market, i.e the US, its only available internationally.

And even internationally games that are on a local TV service, Sky in our case, are not available on the subscription service.

Most NFL games are on terrestrial networks free.

MLB is a little different.
    Its available in the US but with games that are on local TV unavailable.

An online EPL service would only come with a huge cut in the TV rights price or would be only available outside UK/Eire/Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

namloc1980 wrote: »

No because Richard Scudamore et al, are still making decisions in a cigar smoked room, drinking brandy by a fire. These guys are amateurs compared to the administrators of the US Sports. They haven't even remotely allowed the EPL reach its potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The strangest thing about this is that I don't find the Premier league as entertaining any more. Most of the games on display of late have been dire affairs. Watching La liga teams is far more exciting. When I can I watch the Bundesliga too. (11 games so far this season) My "viewership" is too limited to make conclusions but it does appear to me that it's more exciting than the premier league. I used to love the premier league. Just not as much now. Sky have seriously overpaid and I just hope to fck that it improves the quality of a league in need of an injection from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Quality-wise it hasn't been the best, but in terms of excitement throughout the season I think 2013/14 season was one of the very best since the League began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The top players leave for La Liga every season its only natural the quality of the product drops and what its replaced with isn't near good enough. Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo all ply their trade in the "2nd best league in the world" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rob316 wrote: »
    The top players leave for La Liga every season its only natural the quality of the product drops and what its replaced with isn't near good enough. Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo all ply their trade in the "2nd best league in the world" :rolleyes:

It works the other way too.

Torres left spain for England. As did Yaya Toure. As did Aguero. As did Fabregas. And Herrera. And David Silva. And Juan Mata. And Deigo Costa.

And the player exodus from spain isn't just confined to England. Xabi Alonso left for Germany. Ibra left for France. So did Falcao.

So what have we established? That players move around. Honestly, I think some people don't see the full picture on things like this.

Kirby wrote: »

Torres left spain for England. As did Yaya Toure. As did Aguero. As did Fabregas. And Herrera. And David Silva. And Juan Mata. And Deigo Costa.

And the player exodus from spain isn't just confined to England. Xabi Alonso left for Germany. Ibra left for France. So did Falcao.

So what have we established? That players move around. Honestly, I think some people don't see the full picture on things like this.

Most just want to take a swipe at Sky and the English in general, and accuse them of overhyping their own product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Most just want to take a swipe at Sky and the English in general, and accuse them of overhyping their own product.

It's to be accepted that SKY will promote their product, of course they will what else would they do. Are you seriously attempting to suggest that it isn't overhyped?:pac:

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's to be accepted that SKY will promote their product, of course they will what else would they do. Are you seriously attempting to suggest that it isn't overhyped?:pac:

I agree that they are and should be over hyping their own product, it only makes sense.

It's just that some posters here like to take a swipe at them for doing so and at the same time take a swipe at 'the English' in general.

It's a common enough pastime in Ireland compaining that the Engliush 'never shut up' if they win something, do well in something etc.

I'm not a huge football fan, I don't support a particular club or anything, but I'd much prefer to watch an EPL game with teams and players I am some way familiar with, than watch some Spanish team I never heard of before get beaten 5-0 by Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I agree that they are and should be over hyping their own product, it only makes sense.

It's just that some posters here like to take a swipe at them for doing so and at the same time take a swipe at 'the English' in general.

It's a common enough pastime in Ireland compaining that the Engliush 'never shut up' if they win something, do well in something etc.

I'm not a huge football fan, I don't support a particular club or anything, but I'd much prefer to watch an EPL game with teams and players I am some way familiar with, than watch some Spanish team I never heard of before get beaten 5-0 by Real Madrid.

Perhaps if you watched La Liga more often then you'd know more about that Spanish team.

Because the big teams in England never trash the small teams?

Posters taking a swipe at the monster that is SKY - and the affect it may have on the game of football in a pan-European context and globally - doesn't make them anti-English. It's too easy to undermine people's arguments by tarring them with that brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If Sky lose La Liga to BT then I will not renew my Sky package.

All the best European football, bar La Liga, is on BT and tbh I'd rather watch Levante v Granada than Hull v Stoke.

If Sky lose La Liga to BT then I will not renew my Sky package.

All the best European football, bar La Liga, is on BT and tbh I'd rather watch Levante v Granada than Hull v Stoke.

I just hope to feck they don't splice up La Liga like the Premier league. :(
    That'd be an awful mess. Oh and seeing as they're getting these whopping tv deals can we please have a change to that stupid law banning broadcasts of 3 5.15 games. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What has my comment got to do with the English in general don't start that ****e :confused:

My point was valid, its still more prestigious to play in Spain for Barca/Madrid.
    The big 2 have the pick of the top talent in any league they want every season. Sure the EPL clubs bring in Di Maria, Sanchez etc but they are players not wanted at there clubs.

That's all my point was, its not a swipe at Sky. Sky do a great job at football coverage.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    That'd be an awful mess. Oh and seeing as they're getting these whopping tv deals can we please have a change to that stupid law banning broadcasts of 3 5.15 games. :(
    Its anything but stupid. It protects the attendances and income streams of teams from all 4 divisions by not having 90% of English football matches competing with one plum TV fixture.

rob316 wrote: »
    What has my comment got to do with the English in general don't start that ****e :confused:

Its typical of the sort of comment that you'd see around here from time to time, where posters who are questioning this SKY TV deal are conflated somehow with being anti English. Throw it out there and then posters have to come on and deny that they are anti English when it had nothing whatsoever to do with that.

That poster there has form for that kind of thing I reckon.

CSF wrote: »
    Its anything but stupid. It protects the attendances and income streams of teams from all 4 divisions by not having 90% of English football matches competing with one plum TV fixture.

That may be the intention of the law. In practice I'd say it's contribution is negligible. Why not pass a law forcing a find towards sharing of income streams for the lower leagues. Then they could probably lower attendance fees and they'd have better attendance. If they didn't with lower entrance fees and the ban is still in place then you know for certain the law was pointless.

That may be the intention of the law. In practice I'd say it's contribution is negligible. Why not pass a law forcing a find towards sharing of income streams for the lower leagues. Then they could probably lower attendance fees and they'd have better attendance. If they didn't with lower entrance fees and the ban is still in place then you know for certain the law was pointless.
    Because Premier League clubs would be just as heavily affected. If Man United or Liverpool are on tv at 3, theres no way that all the other clubs aren't affected by the people who decide to stay home and watch a TV match instead.

All clubs would be affected by this, none would benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kirby wrote: »

That's not really the point he was making though the best players in the league are been taken by real and barca and the players that leave those 2 clubs aren't really wanted or needed anymore. Real and barca are a level above anything in England and the majority of top players all want to play there.

Don't agree that clubs would benefit or lose out. In general I'd say it's make no difference. If you want to people to attend matches make it affordable for them to attend. It's really that simple. Leagues in Europe, particularly the Bundesliga, have still got televised matches and full attendances. (Because supporters can actually afford to go see the game live.)

Live experience dwarfs the tv anyday everyone knows that. Everyone also knows that there's no point in going to a live game if you can't actually afford it.

• Advertisement

Don't agree that clubs would benefit or lose out. In general I'd say it's make no difference. If you want to people to attend matches make it affordable for them to attend. It's really that simple. Leagues in Europe, particularly the Bundesliga, have still got televised matches and full attendances. (Because supporters can actually afford to go see the game live.)

Live experience dwarfs the tv anyday everyone knows that. Everyone also knows that there's no point in going to a live game if you can't actually afford it.
    The price of attending a football match is a completely separate issue, affecting all games be they at 8 pm Friday, 12:45 pm Saturday or 4 pm Sunday.

The notion also, that some people won't forego going out in the cold to watch a football match, to watch another one involving better teams in the warmth and comfort of home, that notion is almost certainly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Lots of people who go to watch lower league and conference football go as their 2nd, local team, then go and watch their Premier League team on TV, or maybe actually go, since its increasingly rare for full Premier League fixture lists on a 3 pm Saturday kick off. Given the choice of sitting at home watching their Premier League team, or going out to watch the standard of football lower leagues provide, there is going to be a lot of people who choose to stay at home.

Its really not a big sacrifice for the Premier League to keep the 90 minutes from 3 O'clock one day a week a time when the rest of the league, and those that want to go to live game, even in Premier League, can have exclusivity. Money should not be the be all and end all to decisions made in football.

Smacks of a spoilt child eating 95% of a cake and thinking of ways he can get the final 5%.

90 minutes, one day a week where they can't watch "their" team? If people can't cope with that they can fupp off.

Edit: CSF has put it much better than I did.

Lots of people who go to watch lower league and conference football go as their 2nd, local team, then go and watch their Premier League team on TV, or maybe actually go, since its increasingly rare for full Premier League fixture lists on a 3 pm Saturday kick off. Given the choice of sitting at home watching their Premier League team, or going out to watch the standard of football lower leagues provide, there is going to be a lot of people who choose to stay at home.

Its really not a big sacrifice for the Premier League to keep the 90 minutes from 3 O'clock one day a week a time when the rest of the league, and those that want to go to live game, even in Premier League, can have exclusivity. Money should not be the be all and end all to decisions made in football.

Smacks of a spoilt child eating 95% of a cake and thinking of ways he can get the final 5%.

90 minutes, one day a week where they can't watch "their" team? If people can't cope with that they can fupp off.

Edit: CSF has put it much better than I did.
    Exactly, and I mean its not as if we don't have a Saturday 3 PM game over here anyway. It is literally just in England.

Exactly, and I mean its not as if we don't have a Saturday 3 PM game over here anyway. It is literally just in England.

That's the key. Instead of Irish people moaning at the UK Government for not changing a law which is in place to protect small English clubs like mine you should be moaning at Sky and asking them why they're happy to charge so much of their Irish subscribers and yet don't allow them to watch early kick off matches in Spain which are perfectly legal to be broadcast in this country.

There's very little pressure or desire amongst football fans in England to change this law and quite rightly, IMO.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That's the key. Instead of Irish people moaning at the UK Government for not changing a law which is in place to protect small English clubs like mine you should be moaning at Sky and asking them why they're happy to charge so much of their Irish subscribers and yet don't allow them to watch early kick off matches in Spain which are perfectly legal to be broadcast in this country.

There's very little pressure or desire amongst football fans in England to change this law and quite rightly, IMO.
    At the same time, Sky aren't going to set up a broadcast just for Irish viewers. Setanta being the full extent of our Irish broadcasters will always limit us to getting what the English get, plus the 3 PM kickoff.

• Advertisement

At the same time, Sky aren't going to set up a broadcast just for Irish viewers. Setanta being the full extent of our Irish broadcasters will always limit us to getting what the English get, plus the 3 PM kickoff.

You're right and it annoys me, tbh. They charge people over here enough - in fact more than they charge people in the UK - and yet we're treated as second-class customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

There's other things I watch on Sky, but no La Liga would have to be replaced with Bundesliga to keep my interest.

In truth I'm one of those people who'll probably always retain their Sky and BT subscriptions even if there is less value for money. I watch these things religiously.

dreambox..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

That's not really the point he was making though the best players in the league are been taken by real and barca and the players that leave those 2 clubs aren't really wanted or needed anymore. Real and barca are a level above anything in England and the majority of top players all want to play there.

It's just because the majority of them are either Iberian or from South America, giving them the same sort of ancestry in most cases.
    They're just going to their historic/cultural home in most places, or to take a step back, where they'd be most comfortable naturally in terms of language spoken.

Would you rather play in Moldova, Ireland or Russia if each league was of a near identical standard and gave you the same chance of winning the European Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    It's just because the majority of them are either Iberian or from South America, giving them the same sort of ancestry in most cases.
    They're just going to their historic/cultural home in most places, or to take a step back, where they'd be most comfortable naturally in terms of language spoken.

Would you rather play in Moldova, Ireland or Russia if each league was of a near identical standard and gave you the same chance of winning the European Cup?

It's because real and barca are the two biggest clubs in the world and throughout history nearly all the best players play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Know this is just a pipe dream but would love to see the increase in TV money being given back to the fans. By that I mean that ticket prices drop 10 - 20% which is subsidised/offset by an increase in what is received by teams. And failure to drop the gates by clubs would mean they don't get the subsidy from the league.

So for instance United's gates and matchday income in 2013 (hasn't changed much since) was £109m. A drop of 20% is 21.8m - give that amount to them on top of what their TV income is anyways and then ensure they drop their ticket prices by the same percentage. That would mean the cheapest season ticket at United would drop from £532 to £425 and the dearest from £950 to £760.

Obviously that's a very, very simplistic and basic equation and there's a whole multitude of stuff that you have to take into account - Executive Boxes and other ideas such as clubs who already have low gate receipts. But an idea like that would at least show the league doesn't just want the league to continue down the road of paying clubs massive amounts to pay obsurd wages to average players and further distance those who pay into games away from teams.

Anyways it's about as likely as pigs to fly but said I'd throw it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sky need to push the boat out for La Liga otherwise Sky Sports 5 becomes redundant. Eredivisie, Half the number of La Liga games and constant repeats of the same Football's Greatest, Spanish Football Gold and highlight programmes from the Champions League does not the home of European Football make

Know this is just a pipe dream but would love to see the increase in TV money being given back to the fans. By that I mean that ticket prices drop 10 - 20% which is subsidised/offset by an increase in what is received by teams. And failure to drop the gates by clubs would mean they don't get the subsidy from the league.

So for instance United's gates and matchday income in 2013 (hasn't changed much since) was £109m. A drop of 20% is 21.8m - give that amount to them on top of what their TV income is anyways and then ensure they drop their ticket prices by the same percentage. That would mean the cheapest season ticket at United would drop from £532 to £425 and the dearest from £950 to £760.

Obviously that's a very, very simplistic and basic equation and there's a whole multitude of stuff that you have to take into account - Executive Boxes and other ideas such as clubs who already have low gate receipts. But an idea like that would at least show the league doesn't just want the league to continue down the road of paying clubs massive amounts to pay obsurd wages to average players and further distance those who pay into games away from teams.

Anyways it's about as likely as pigs to fly but said I'd throw it out there.
    Lets be honest, Man United is one of the least likely clubs (theres a few others in the same boat to be fair, Arsenal another big one) you'll ever see anything like that at.

Man United is no longer a football club in the traditional sense. Instead, a business with a clear business strategy to bring in as many consumers worldwide as possible.

Not squeezing the utmost from these consumers clearly would not fit in with such a business plan.

There is no need for United to give a crap about pricing people out of the market, because for every local fan that can no longer afford the price of their season ticket, there'll be a lad from China, Nigeria, Norway or Ireland who will be delighted to pay the prices to go see United play, and these are the guys who will spend more in the club shop too.

Sky need to push the boat out for La Liga otherwise Sky Sports 5 becomes redundant. Eredivisie, Half the number of La Liga games and constant repeats of the same Football's Greatest, Spanish Football Gold and highlight programmes from the Champions League does not the home of European Football make
    You'd have to imagine that the purchase of that channel was a strategic statement of intent.

You'd have to expect they're looking at taking some of the leagues that BT Sports currently have (Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1).

Because realistically La Liga and Eredivisie does not a European football channel make.

Advertisement