Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price quote

Options
  • 10-02-2015 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Wondering do you think this is a good price ...

PC shop here has offered me
    i7 4790k processor
    ASUS Maximus motherboard (2gb on board RAM)
    6gb extra ram (8 total)
    128 GB SSD drive
    Win7 64 Bit

All included install and hardware setup for €750

cheers ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi all,

i7 4790k processor
    6gb extra ram (8 total)
    128 GB SSD drive
    Win7 64 Bit

cheers ..

Whats it going to be used for? I would also be looking for details on the power supply, the motherboard model, SSD make and model.

2GB on board ram? Havent come across that before.

If you are planning on gaming, there is no graphics card listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The fact that they are "bundling" 2GB of RAM with the board makes me think it might be second hand or something.

As above, details on the SSD and PSU would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Forgot to mention that it's an upgrade , so won't be getting a new graphics card - I'll use my older one - I'm not a gamer anyway so don't need top one.

So a motherboard with built in ram is unusual ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you're not a gamer or serious enthusiast you really don't need an Asus Maximus board or an i7. What's the PC used for?

MAinly processing raw photos with Lightroom , I've had an i7 since 2009
    So I didn't want to go back to a i5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From 2009 would be a first generation i7, a current gen i5 would be way, way faster.

I have heard of boards with built in ram but not in recent years, not sure what that's about.

You also wouldn't need a K series processor unless you plan overclocking, the regular 4790 non-k is the exact same otherwise.

Just sell your old PC at it is, and build a new one. Could build an entire machine that would be considerably faster than your old one for about 500, and it shouldn't be too much hassle to get a good chunk of that from your old PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MAinly processing raw photos with Lightroom , I've had an i7 since 2009
    So I didn't want to go back to a i5

I can guarantee you're not even noticing the benefit of having an i7 with what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Hi all,

i7 4790k processor
    6gb extra ram (8 total)
    128 GB SSD drive
    Win7 64 Bit

cheers ..

assuming it has a decent case and psu, comes in just about what it would cost to build yourself brand new.

As above have said about i5 but thats your shout. My info is just to let you know you're not being robbed.

assuming it has a decent case and psu, comes in just about what it would cost to build yourself brand new.

As above have said about i5 but thats your shout. My info is just to let you know you're not being robbed.

Thanks, seems like a good deal, I do sometimes like to game so Ill stick with it and get a graphics card sometime soon.

cheers all ..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭corelon

dont mean to cut across seems like your all done here though.. Thought id ask this question. Does this seem like a good setup for a machine to handle heavy graphics and 3d rendering. And any idea of approx cost.

Cpu : i7-4790k
    Ram: 8GB at least. 16 preferably. corsair
    256gb ssd
    1tb Hard Drive
    Nvidia 760gtx graphics card
    Z87-GD65 motherboard
    16gb Ram

• Advertisement

corelon wrote: »
    dont mean to cut across seems like your all done here though.. Thought id ask this question. Does this seem like a good setup for a machine to handle heavy graphics and 3d rendering. And any idea of approx cost.

Cpu : i7-4790k
    Ram: 8GB at least. 16 preferably. corsair
    256gb ssd
    1tb Hard Drive
    Nvidia 760gtx graphics card
    Z87-GD65 motherboard
    16gb Ram

I'd imagine so - looks like a workhorse to me ... make sure you store the images/games on the SSD for max speed, price tho I have no clue ... sorry..

Advertisement