Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT changed my odometer reading from kilometres to miles

• 10-02-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking to see if anyone has been in a similar position. I just put my car through the NCT and it failed the first time on rear suspension. So I sorted the problem, came back for a retest and passed. Happy days, or so I thought.

My odometer reads ~190,000 KM but I just noticed today that the NCT tester has it down as ~190,000 Miles on my test sheet and on the actual cert!! Obviously I can't accept this so I rang their customer care. There I was told I had 7 days from the test date to take my car to the centre, have my odometer read again, and have a new cert issued with the correct reading.

So again, I thought fine I'll go do that, at least it won't be an issue. But no, the two fellas in the NCT centre told me it's impossible. They said they have 10 minutes from the time the cert is printed to change the odometer reading. I stayed and argued with them over this but in the end he said I must ring customer care again and sort it with them.

Customer care is closed now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to do battle again. In the meantime, does anyone here know what the process is or has gone through this before? I'm very worried I'll be left with a black mark on my car for when I eventually go to sell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you can't get it resolved tomorrow then it's time to submit a formal written complaint on form QP 009/1. Get one at any test centre or ask customer support to send you one.
    https://www.ncts.ie/complaints.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If you can't get it resolved tomorrow then it's time to submit a formal written complaint on form QP 009/1. Get one at any test centre or ask customer support to send you one.
    https://www.ncts.ie/complaints.html

Cheers, definitely will do if it's not sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Did you get it sorted?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Did you get it sorted?

Rang them and they told me the centre should have sorted it when I called in. Was then told they were trying to contact some sort of 'administrator' to sort it out but he wasn't at the centre today. I was supposed to get a call but of course, I got no call and by the time I was finished work, their CC was closed. I'm going to call again tomorrow anyway and demand it's dealt with while I'm on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The same thing happened me, I was testing a car for someone and they put the mileage down in KM when it was supposed to be miles, I noticed straight away and went back into them, they said they can't do anything once the cert is printed off and it has to go to Dublin,
    I left it 10 days and there was no sign of the cert so I rang them and explained everything then they seemed to find the E-mail while I was on the phone to them! I got it corrected in the post the next day!
    If I had not rang them though I would still be waiting I reckon!

Edit: just to add there was no hope of the test centre fixing this they just said no we can't touch them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've seen a car for sale recently that has had the same mistake going in its favour. Seller says it's correct - km. Even though the speedo has MPH dominant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I've seen a car for sale recently that has had the same mistake going in its favour. Seller says it's correct - km. Even though the speedo has MPH dominant.

Although unlikely, the seller might have after market dial faces fitted which read in MPH, but the actual speed and numbers correlate in KPH. This is true for many after market dial faces, especially UK ones sold for jap cars.

Its also possible to change the digital read out on many cars from MPH to KPH. The clock will still have MPH, but the odo can read in kph. My E Class has this function, but I have no clue how to change it properly.

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'm going to call again tomorrow anyway and demand it's dealt with while I'm on the phone.

If you're getting messed about, in order to prevent the same thing happening again, I'd ring CC while at the NCT centre. And as soon as CC says "they can do it at the centre", walk in and hand the phone to one of the people working in the Centre.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Or threaten legal action. It is all wrong that this kind of function which is linked to a legal obligation should be in private hands. It's time some of the public challenged them in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

I had a similar problem last November. Like most people I didn't check the documentation at the centre. In my case the odometer reading was 300,000kms.
    The disc and cert showed 300,000miles.
    I emailed Applus. They replied thus. " If you feel that the odometer reading recorded on your certificate is in anyway incorrect you need to return to the centre within 7 days,once it goes beyond 7 days it cannot be rectified. The centre will email us and we will get a new Certificate sent to you"
    I asked Applus whereabouts on their website could I see that stated in black and white. They replied by saying .There are signs in the test centre which advise customers to check all their documentation to ensure it is correct before leaving the test centre and so on. I copped the the error within 7 days so I got it sorted .
    I contacted the RSA.AA etc to highlight the unfairness of this. Waste of time.In theory Applus can pull a figure out their arse and put it on the cert. Tough luck if you don't spot it within 7 days.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    I had a similar problem last November. Like most people I didn't check the documentation at the centre. In my case the odometer reading was 300,000kms.
    The disc and cert showed 300,000miles.
    I emailed Applus. They replied thus. " If you feel that the odometer reading recorded on your certificate is in anyway incorrect you need to return to the centre within 7 days,once it goes beyond 7 days it cannot be rectified. The centre will email us and we will get a new Certificate sent to you"
    I asked Applus whereabouts on their website could I see that stated in black and white. They replied by saying .There are signs in the test centre which advise customers to check all their documentation to ensure it is correct before leaving the test centre and so on. I copped the the error within 7 days so I got it sorted .
    I contacted the RSA.AA etc to highlight the unfairness of this. Waste of time.In theory Applus can pull a figure out their arse and put it on the cert. Tough luck if you don't spot it within 7 days.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It looks like the 7 days figure might actually be true so. I have today and tomorrow to sort this so considering they probably won't be open weekends. I'll be calling at lunch time today and I'll post an update then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It looks like the 7 days figure might actually be true so. I have today and tomorrow to sort this so considering they probably won't be open weekends. I'll be calling at lunch time today and I'll post an update then.
    Quick question for legal heads here but would the Data Protection act not cover this in that all incorrectly held data must be corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Is this a new thing?
    I read this thread and then checked the NCT certs and reports for our cars. Neither the reports nor the certs has any mention of miles or kms next to the odometer readings, just the numbers.

So, I have a happy ending to report. In fairness, the NCT CC called me and informed me that they had spoken to the manager in the test centre and that I needed to call down once more to resolve it. I went down and asked for Tom, the centre manager and he sorted me out there and then with no hassle. I have a new cert being posted to me now. In fairness to Tom, he asked me what shift I called in during and seemed concerned that the other lads didn't know the process. Just glad I didn't have to take it any further!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Chippy01 wrote: »
    Is this a new thing?
    I read this thread and then checked the NCT certs and reports for our cars. Neither the reports nor the certs has any mention of miles or kms next to the odometer readings, just the numbers.
    Think it's a new thing they started late last year. I got a Test last October and it had mileage on the cert and disc.

Another update to this. I got my new cert during the week to my home address. Opened it this morning and the mileage on the new cert has been put down in miles AGAIN. I'm now past the 7 days period so I have no idea what's going to happen when I call them on Monday. I'm absolutely sick of this at this stage and will 100% be making a written complaint because this is a joke.

Why not go to the NCT Centre right now,see what they to say and take it from there? As I said in an earlier post they can pluck a number out of their arse and stick it on the cert and if you don't spot their mistake within 7 days it's your hard luck. Crazy.

Why not go to the NCT Centre right now,see what they to say and take it from there? As I said in an earlier post they can pluck a number out of their arse and stick it on the cert and if you don't spot their mistake within 7 days it's your hard luck. Crazy.

Yea it's absolutely ridiculous. The test centre is in Kilkenny and I'm in Cork for the weekend so no can do.

Quote from The RSA website.
    When you next present your vehicle for an NCT you must verify that the recorded odometer reading is accurate,as you won't be able to amend it once your vehicle has left the test centre.

Quote from The RSA website.
    When you next present your vehicle for an NCT you must verify that the recorded odometer reading is accurate,as you won't be able to amend it once your vehicle has left the test centre.

The figure was correct. The unit wasn't. What if I wasn't aware that my odometer is in km and not miles? That piece on the RSA website is a cop out. Nevermind it happening once, but having it amended and the number STILL being wrong on the new cert is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yea it's absolutely ridiculous. The test centre is in Kilkenny and I'm in Cork for the weekend so no can do.

Should have known it was KK. Incompetent is only in the ha'penny place with that shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

The figure was correct. The unit wasn't. What if I wasn't aware that my odometer is in km and not miles? That piece on the RSA website is a cop out. Nevermind it happening once, but having it amended and the number STILL being wrong on the new cert is a joke.

Just wondering if you ever got this sorted? Had the missus drop car to NCT centre and noticed a few days after that the Odometer reading on the cert is in miles as opposed to km on my car. NCT Cert now states a reading over 60,000 km more than my odometer reading so if I'm selling my car down the line it now looks like its been clocked.

I emailed and got the response that if you don't check the reading before leaving the centre they can't make an amendment. Seriously, how hard can it be to change the figure to the correct one and post out a cert.

I emailed them back there now but not going holding out much hope of getting this sorted painlessly given the responses to same issue on here. I definitely need to get it sorted as the reading is way out. They must think people have nothing better to do than hang around in NCT centres looking for mistakes caused by they're sheer incompetency to do a job that your paying them good money for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Jees, I never check the mileage on my form. I just look at the other info relating to the test.

Better go check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I had my NCT today, and the result sheet and cert came out with kms printed beside the odo reading.
    My car is a UK Prius, which records the odo in miles, but with the press of a button changes the speedo reading to either kms or miles.

When I spotted this on the sheets, I went back into the reception to point out the error. The tester went out to the car to double-check that the odo was actually in miles and not kms.

Happy that was the case, he went back into the reception, got onto the computer, edited the result sheet and cert and reprinted them there and then.

Happy dayz.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

What are the consequences of not getting this corrected? Passed NCT yesterday (and in my joy didn't look at anything apart from the shiny new disc) and upon perusing this thread, dug out the cert and yep, they have recorded miles into km.

Now, I'm planning to drive this car to its death. If we are to move back to the UK, we'll likely take it with us (originally a UK import so paperwork should be minimal) but if not, we'll just give it family/friends desperate for a car at that time.

Are there any legal/insurance implications if I don't get this sorted?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

So, if you buy a UK import, with Miles instead of Km on all the dash read outs, this is ok for the NCT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thegingerone

I know this is an old post but I just got back home after passing my NCT. In my joy of passing I didn’t bother looking at the NCT result report.
    Car was 97000. The Odometer now reads 597000. Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know this is an old post but I just got back home after passing my NCT. In my joy of passing I didn’t bother looking at the NCT result report.
    Car was 97000. The Odometer now reads 597000. Idiots.

Odometer still shows 97k unless you have done half a million km since the test. They made a typo it's hardly a major issue, call back and they'll resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thegingerone

Del2005 wrote: »
    Odometer still shows 97k unless you have done half a million km since the test. They made a typo it's hardly a major issue, call back and they'll resolve it.

Yep sorry the Odometer still reads 97. The cert and report say 597000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair it says on the page to check the odometer reading, and it’s in bright yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair it says on the page to check the odometer reading, and it’s in bright yellow.

Anytime I've tested a car the tester has said check the mileage before you leave

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Anytime I've tested a car the tester has said check the mileage before you leave

And yet they obviously don’t in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clearly not a system error, but a user error.
    Go back and get it fixed.
    Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement