Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American style pancakes

• 10-02-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this comes up every year but anyway...

i want to make a proper thick pancake stack. Like with butter and maple syrup. The type you would expect to find in an American diner. Fed up with our skinny flimsy pancaked :(

O ya i need a recipe please

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,334 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I use this recipe all the time and have never had a bad result. Only thing I'd say is that you might need to add an extra drop of milk as the batter can be quite thick. I've also made them with chocolate chips in them and they work very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Replace you milk with buttermilk and add some baking powder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Zaph wrote: »
    I use this recipe all the time and have never had a bad result. Only thing I'd say is that you might need to add an extra drop of milk as the batter can be quite thick. I've also made them with chocolate chips in them and they work very well.

I made these at the weekend, but my recipe called for buttermilk, an American addition.

The thickness is what makes them different, I usually make 3 or 4 per pan, you don't make large ones, and they are gorgeous with smoked streaky bacon,

Had them again today for breakfast but added blueberries, better plain though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Oh, you cook them in butter too, a low pan or it will burn,

• Advertisement

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    The thickness is what makes them different, I usually make 3 or 4 per pan, you don't make large ones

Sorry, I probably should have been clearer. The ones I make are small and thick, I only add maybe an extra 10ml of milk to loosen the batter slightly and make it easier to get it onto the pan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use Jamie Oliver's recipe, it never fails - and we have them with crispy bacon and maple syrup.

1 cup of self raising flour
    1 cup of milk
    1 egg
    A pinch of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I've tried a lot of recipes and this one from the slate is the only one that makes me feel like I'm in an American diner. I tend to not do half and half whole wheat and white, more like 30% whole wheat.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/02/21/the_best_buttermilk_pancake_recipe_in_the_world_seriously_.html

a cup is approx 250ml so just use a jug to measure the dry ingredients as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use Jamie Oliver's recipe, it never fails - and we have them with crispy bacon and maple syrup.

1 cup of milk
    1 egg
    A pinch of salt

I tried these a while back but found them too runny. Very tasty with an apple grated in and served with honey (and some yogurt would probably be good too). Next time I'll add the milk a bit at a time and use my judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

1 cup of milk
    1 egg
    A pinch of salt

I use his other recipe where he adds a tsp of baking powder to help it rise even more. He also adds a whole grated pear to add sweetness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Go with Zaph's recipe but separate the eggs. Beat the whites separately and gently fold them into the batter as the final step. The extra air in the mix will result in bigger and fluffier pancakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Found this recipe in a student cookbook. I've used it a good few times, making plain or blueberry pancakes.I sometimes add a little vanilla extract to the wet mix. Always tasty. Serves 4.

260g (9 1/4 oz/1 3/4 cups) SF Flour
    1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    2 eggs
    310ml (10 3/4 fl oz/ 1 1/4 cups) milk
    165g (5 3/4 oz/3.4 cup) caster sugar

Sift together the flour and bicarbonate. In a jug, whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mix. Whisk together until combined. Fry them up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

If you have to separate eggs to get the texture, it's not a buttermilk pancake. I used all those kind of recipes for years before discovering how much better and easier just using buttermilk in buttermilk pancakes actually was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yeah, with buttermilk pancakes you dont even need to beat out all the little lumps, it's magic. I use darina allen's recipe from the ballymalloe cookbook, which i dont have to hand but i'd recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Lots of great varieties here lads, will be trying them out soon enough.

thanks again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

This is my recipe for thick pancakes ( don't know if they are as thick as 'american' ones, but definitely thicker than what you have here).

2 dessert spoons of sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup self raising flour
    250ml milk (approx)
    tablespoon butter

Lightly beat sugar and egg together.
    Add some milk and continue to beat / whisk
    Add sifted flour and add milk as required. If you think the mixture is too runny, add more flour, or add more milk to thin it out.
    Melt butter in microwave, add to mixture. Allow mixture to stand for 30min.

Cook over a low-med heat. I just use a non-stick pan and don't need to put any butter in the pan, but if your pan is non-stick you will need to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

+1 on the Jamie Oliver recipe suggested above, simple but gives me consistent results. I never buy self-raising flour tho, so if I want the fluffy American version I add baking powder, if I want the thinner version I just leave it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭Guffy

Made it last night, low heat, but found it was still a bit gooey in middle. Any tips for fluffiness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

gufc21 wrote: »
    Made it last night, low heat, but found it was still a bit gooey in middle. Any tips for fluffiness?

Why low heat, you want the stem coming though so as to cook it

oblivious wrote: »
    Why low heat, you want the stem coming though so as to cook it

I meant a med heat so as not to burn them

• Advertisement

Use a mixture of oil and butter to cook them. That will allow you to cook at a higher temperature without burning the butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Another cheat would be to just oil the pan , and when the pancakes are just done put a tiny knob of butter under them give them a min or so and flip em - buttery unburnt pancakes -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Use a mixture of oil and butter to cook them. That will allow you to cook at a higher temperature without burning the butter.

Or use rapeseed oil which has a high burn point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

There is a recipe for American pancakes in today's Guardian.

140g plain flour, sifted
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    240ml milk
    2 tbsp veg oil

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix together the egg, milk and oil. Pour into the dry mix, the stir, but just until moistened. The batter should remain lumpy.
    Heat a pan and spoon a tablespoon of batter onto the hot pan. Cook until bubbles appear then flip.

A lumpy batter??:confused: Doesn't sound appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I have no buttermilk I mix in lemon juice at the last moment to make the baking soda react and rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

RosyLily wrote: »
    There is a recipe for American pancakes in today's Guardian.

140g plain flour, sifted
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    240ml milk
    2 tbsp veg oil

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix together the egg, milk and oil. Pour into the dry mix, the stir, but just until moistened. The batter should remain lumpy.
    Heat a pan and spoon a tablespoon of batter onto the hot pan. Cook until bubbles appear then flip.

A lumpy batter??:confused: Doesn't sound appealing.

I think the idea is you don't over mix the batter - so don't develop the gluten and toughen your pancakes ...(sieve your flour a couple of times so no big lumps and more air ) small lumps should cook out . Probably . :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Made again this morn. Increased the heat. Perfect and half the cooking time :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I use his other recipe where he adds a tsp of baking powder to help it rise even more. He also adds a whole grated pear to add sweetness.

How many American pancake recipes does he have? Anyway, this is another one of his that I use at least once a fortnight.

Mix 140ml milk, heaped teaspoon baking powder, 115g plain flour mixed with three egg yolks. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk to soft peaks. Fold back into the mix without knocking the air out. I usually throw in blueberries or mashing bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mine is a bit of an accidental one. Was making pancakes some morning and realised ooops, no milk. Had a pot of fat free greek yoghurt in the fridge... Swapped that in instead.

2 eggs, beaten
    Half a big pot of greek yoghurt
    3 oz flour

Stir. Cook. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This guy is an idiot but knows how to cook

Advertisement