Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with landlord

Options
  • 10-02-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of perspective on sharing with a landlord. I've read a few threads on here where it seems I don't have as many rights as normal tenants which I was not aware when moving in a year and a half ago and did not sign a lease.

There are a few issues that have been ongoing since day 1 for example, her not cleaning very much or at all really, me cleaning up after her (because she would leave her dirty pots lying around and unless I wanted to starve I would have no choice but to clean them in order for me to be able to cook), me generally buying all the cleaning products all the time but these things I've just dealt with as my rent is about €50-€100 cheaper than the going rate in this area.

One thing that has been happening a few times lately is her inviting people over without telling me first (obviously no permission required just a heads up would be nice). We have a communal living area and the kitchen and tv room are all the one so it would be nice to be given a heads up prior to her inviting people over, I just think it's common courtesy to drop me a text as I would always do the same.

Am I overreacting or how do other people sharing with landlords view this? I'm quite a laid back reasonable person and always respect that I am living in someone else's home but also think it would be nice if I was respected as a tenant.

Thanks for reading ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The thing here Conrad is that you're not a tenant, you're a licencee which is the equivalent of a house guest.
    She does not have to let you know of her plans to invite people over, common courtesy would dictate that she does but that is rarely common!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Conrad83 wrote: »
    I've read a few threads on here where it seems I don't have as many rights as normal tenants which I was not aware when moving in a year and a half ago and did not sign a lease.
    You are not a tenant, and thus have no tenant rights. She could legally toss you out at a moments notice.
    There are a few issues that have been ongoing since day 1 for example, her not cleaning very much or at all really, me cleaning up after her (because she would leave her dirty pots lying around and unless I wanted to starve I would have no choice but to clean them in order for me to be able to cook), me generally buying all the cleaning products all the time but these things I've just dealt with as my rent is about €50-€100 cheaper than the going rate in this area.
    Sounds like she got a cheap maid thrown into the deal.
    One thing that has been happening a few times lately is her inviting people over without telling me first (obviously no permission required just a heads up would be nice).
    Her house, her rules.
    We have a communal living area and the kitchen and tv room are all the one so it would be nice to be given a heads up prior to her inviting people over, I just think it's common courtesy to drop me a text as I would always do the same.
    You have to, she doesn't.
    I'm quite a laid back reasonable person and always respect that I am living in someone else's home but also think it would be nice if I was respected as a tenant.
    Sounds like she's taking advantage of your laid back attitude, tbh.

=-=

Suppose it comes down to; do you save that €100 as you're buying all the stuff? I wouldn't be able to live in a house with someone that has so little respect for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

She hasnt asked or told you to do the cleaning? surely you could see this when you moved in if its as bad as it is?

Buy your own pots, use them and keep them clean for your own use, same for delf and cutlery and only do a reasonable share of the house cleaning, she doesnt sound bothered anyway.

You have no rights really, you certainly dont have any right to be told of her bringing anyone to her house or any notice of it, on the other hand you should.

You really should clear up what the ground rules and circumstances will be in advance of moving in somewhere.
    Rent a room can be a good option, but as people know so little about it or move in with people they wouldnt get on with, whos to blame?

You dont even know that this person is not a landlord, to you at least. And you are not their tenant.

Its a year and a half, how could you not consider buying your own pots etc?

Advertisement