Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd museums/ places to visit in London

• 10-02-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I went to a great motorbike museum in Berlin and a church in Rome where the decorations were made out of the monks' bones( post mortem:D), lampshades, frames, etc.
    Has anyone come across anything quirky in London?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Huntarian Museum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/aboutus/

This is an interesting gaff that explores the way people have lived in London for years, as in how their homes were built and furnished. It sounds a bit anoraky but it's actually a nice day out and it's in Hoxton so perfect for loading up on some Vietnamese afterward and drinking a few pints in Howl at the Moon.

The Inns of Court

A lot of people don't know about these places but they're beautifully quiet and well maintained park areas in the city centre that are there for the use of lawyers and such ilk. However, ordinary people are allowed in at certain times and it's a great spot for a picnic.

http://content.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1846986_1846948_1846891,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've not been yet, but I plan in going to the Clink prison museum near London Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Postman's Park near St Pauls is one of my favourite 'odd' places in London.

It's a small square - well kept and nicely secluded - but the real draw is a memorial wall in one corner. This is dedicated to ordinary, and otherwise forgotten, people who gave their lives to save others. It's a touching antidote to the triumph heroic memoirals that otherwise dot the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Geffrye sounds interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Luno wrote: »
    Huntarian Museum
    And the Old Operating Theatre museum near London Bridge station: http://www.thegarret.org.uk/oot.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Reekwind wrote: »

It's a small square - well kept and nicely secluded - but the real draw is a memorial wall in one corner. This is dedicated to ordinary, and otherwise forgotten, people who gave their lives to save others. It's a touching antidote to the triumph heroic memoirals that otherwise dot the city.

I agree. Lovely little spot and stroll to the Tipperary Bar in Fleet St then for a nice Guinness

I had forgotten I already knew The chelsea physick garden. It's great.
    You're not meant to sample any of the plants or berries, but curiosity won , I sampled a little weency berry and my mouth went numb for 5 mins and tingled for another 10 or so. They have a lovely cafe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Reekwind wrote: »

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I agree. Lovely little spot and stroll to the Tipperary Bar in Fleet St then for a nice Guinness

Beat me to it with Postman's Park. I think it my favourite place in the world. It is so touching and the plaques have a curious blend of old language, everyday lives and extraordinary events:

Postmans-Park1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The language used on tombstones in Victorian time is quaint and touching.
    The graveyard in Stoke Newington, even though a bit overgrown, is worth a visit. And then across to the Auld Shillelagh!

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The language used on tombstones in Victorian time is quaint and touching.
    The graveyard in Stoke Newington, even though a bit overgrown, is worth a visit. And then across to the Auld Shillelagh!

William Booth who founded the Sally Army has a fine tombstone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 howisshecuttin

There is a Museum of Brands up around Notting Hill. Haven't been but think it fits the bill of "quirky"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Another idea. Once summer hits, there are some great outdoor swimming spots in London.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/9357593/Londons-best-outdoor-swimming-pools.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Have swam in quite a few of those. I approve :)

^ Have swam in quite a few of those. I approve :)

There are plenty that are not on the list as well. I used to go the the Park Road pool between Crouch End, Muswell Hill and Ally Pally - busy on a summer weekend but on a beautiful weekday evening, I would sometimes be the only swimmer. The lifeguard used to get a bit grumpy if I was the only one in and it was raining.

I headed off intending to meet friends at the Hunterian.. I got sidetracked and ended up trawling the music shops in Denmark street. They said it was marvellous. They had a great time. So did I . Maybe next time I'll get to it.

Advertisement