Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butterslip Handrails

Options
  • 10-02-2015 10:41pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the new handrail going up the centre of the Butterslip? What do ye all think?

338532.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kikel wrote: »
    Anyone see the new handrail going up the centre of the Butterslip? What do ye all think?

338532.jpg

Ruins the look of it, like so many things in kilkenny in recent years it lacks an interesting design.

I'm guessing somebody must have claimed off the council recently for a fall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

No doubt due to some claim.

Not gone on the stainless steel look, a nice timber handrail would of looked a lot nicer in fairness.

I'd question the need of the rails/posts in the center too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

It looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Crazy. As if wasn't narrow enough. Fair enough provide ones on the side walls for those that need them as it does get slippy there in the wet.
    I'd say it's the litigious nature of society more than anything too.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

road_high wrote: »
    Crazy. As if wasn't narrow enough. Fair enough provide ones on the side walls for those that need them as it does get slippy there in the wet.
    Not much room for busking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Very disappointing...I also noticed some sort of work going on last night down at the other lane...the one beside carpe diem.....it was around 630 last night. Dunno if they must be planning the same for there aswell.

Also, the new yellow zipyard shop along the medieval mile is a bid dodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

road_high wrote: »

Agree, If you looked at that photo you wouldn't realise just how narrow those steps are already, no need at all for the middle rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It looks wrong, does nothing for the medieval look.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Looks bizarre, why is the middle section needed? Rails at the side, while not being great looking, would at least be less in your face than the middle contraption.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Looks bizarre, why is the middle section needed? Rails at the side, while not being great looking, would at least be less in your face than the middle contraption.

Heard some engineer muppet on KCLR today, he said that they couldn't put rails on the walls because there we're businesses on either side of the lane and the rail had to be continuous.:confused:. Worked fine for hundreds of years and then HE gets a job. What if you get stuck behind a person with a big buggy or an old person on a frame,no room to pass now. You can't even stop for a quick chat if you meet someone in the lane. The lunatics really are running the asylum in KK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

They're quite ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They need to be removed. Handrails at the side is perfectly understandable/acceptable but the ones in the middle should go. Completely tasteless and not in line with the medieval image of the city just like that awful, unnecessary new bridge across to the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Noticed them the other day and taught what the hell are kilkenny co co up to ,looks terrible and makes the lane narrower than it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

I thought vandalism was a crime...? Find and punish the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Wait till someone is walking toward them, slips, smashes there fact on the railing, loses a few teeth and sues, they'll be padded next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Ive often slipped on those steps when they were wet so something had to be done. I would have preferred if they had roughened up the surface a little as it was worn smooth and thats why I slipped. The ones in the center are a joke and look awful. They should be made to look more medieval, plenty of blacksmith artists in this country who could have designed the railings while giving them an artistic look.
    mountcisco wrote: »
    Not much room for busking.

The guy who played the accordion there for years died right after christmas. Im sure other people busked there too but he was the main one I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

It's completely horrible, but that's the Borough Council for you. Same as with those dreadful maroon and grey street names. No thought given to style, taste or compatibility with the surroundings. "Let's get the job done as quickly and cheaply as possible and sure maybe nobody will notice..."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

kikel wrote: »

338532.jpg

WOW
    THAT'S ONE OF THE UGLIEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN
    LOOK'S SO PRETTY THERE TOO. RUINED FOR EVER, SURELY IT WILL BE REMOVED. THIS IS KILKENNY ? GEEZ
    Some wrought iron on wall would be ok, but that modern stainless in such a setting, gross.
    As for the rails in the center. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Did Kilkenny Coco give Stevie Wonder a job !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭masterboy123

they should have used old wooden style type of railings to keep up the medieval look.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

it's not called the Butterslip for nothing :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Actually that's a good point. I reckon we need to start getting back to the origins of the name and provide people the option of sliding down the slip of a fun slide!

next week we'll be bringing back compulsory archery, see you all up at the butts!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

catbear wrote: »
    next week we'll be bringing back compulsory archery, see you all up at the butts!
    A sentence which needs to be read with care ... ;)

Especially with a username like yours.:) :eek:

Especially with a username like yours.:) :eek:

Now now boys! We'll have none of that oul dirty talk here:eek:.

Nah its your durty mind, we're talking about a place in KK w ere they used to graze long horn cattle!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

All jokes aside - who is actually responsible for the design and installation of these?

All it needed was power coated Wrought Iron hand rails on the walls on both sides and all the way to the top, gaps for the businesses . That would blend, Wrought Iron .
    Center pieces need to be removed, looks like a cattle run .
    Why would one think all those rails are needed for a spot like this that has moderate traffic at best. There is no way all those rails would be used at one time.

Advertisement