Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Kilcross Square, Sandyford

Options
  • 11-02-2015 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I'm considering to buy an apartment on Kilcross Square and I will want to know a little bit about the neighborhood. I have some knowledge about the transportation and the shops. What I will want to know is how is actually living there. The people around. I was trying to look in other post but I couldn't found anything helpful.
    Can anyone advise on this?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

estebanrc wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering to buy an apartment on Kilcross Square and I will want to know a little bit about the neighborhood. I have some knowledge about the transportation and the shops. What I will want to know is how is actually living there. The people around. I was trying to look in other post but I couldn't found anything helpful.
    Can anyone advise on this?
    Thanks in advance.

Go onto google street view and go from Sandyford road, through kilcross and into kilcross square.
    It's not a pretty sight.

I used to live in bracken hill and was walking through kilcross one night at around 1am and there was a house on fire and every kid from the estate was out on the green in front of the house running around like maniacs.

That being said, kilcross square is more like bracken hill, sandyford view etc.. But can only be accessed (if driving) from kilcross estate. You can walk through from bracken hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 estebanrc

mackeire wrote: »
    Go onto google street view and go from Sandyford road, through kilcross and into kilcross square.
    It's not a pretty sight.

I used to live in bracken hill and was walking through kilcross one night at around 1am and there was a house on fire and every kid from the estate was out on the green in front of the house running around like maniacs.

That being said, kilcross square is more like bracken hill, sandyford view etc.. But can only be accessed (if driving) from kilcross estate. You can walk through from bracken hill.

Thanks for the answer. Is that was recently? I found some new about it but it was from 8 years ago. I did check google earth and I went to the area myself. I was just wondering how is walking around, not particulary at night. Because as you said it need to pass trough that to go to sandyford road.
    But as you also mentioned then it doesn't matter if I'm on Kilcross Square, Bracken hill or sandyford view then,doesn't it? because all of them use that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Its not bad now years ago its was not a nice place my mother in law lives there and has never has a min trouble what people forget is when a new estate like that is built they have young kids as they get older the trouble goes away look at rosemount I was brought up beside there and my god that was rough now its 400k for a house there .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 estebanrc

Carpenter wrote: »
    Its not bad now years ago its was not a nice place my mother in law lives there and has never has a min trouble what people forget is when a new estate like that is built they have young kids as they get older the trouble goes away look at rosemount I was brought up beside there and my god that was rough now its 400k for a house there .

Thanks. Yes, I found exactly the same. That now is not bad. So, would someone recommend then to live there? As the other comment said the Kilcross Square itself is ok, only asking to pass trough the estate walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Apols for bump but are there management fees for this estate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Sorry for bringing up this thread I'm considering here and Bracken hill as a possible place to rent. The property advertisement said it was well serviced by buses but looking at Dublin bus and google maps it doesn't seem to be. I have to travel into the city centre and other times Belfield? Looking back on old threads posters have said the roads/ footpaths are dangerous would this be the case still or has it improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

You can get the 114 from inside Bracken Hill to Sandyford estate, the N11 or Blackrock dart but it's infrequent so I wouldn't rely on it.

If you walk through Kilcross to Sandyford road (which will take less than five minutes), you can get the 44 to the city centre and beyond to DCU. I've never gotten it but I think it's relatively infrequent too. It might drop you within walking distance of Belfield, I'm not sure.

If you walk to Sandyford estate via Kilcross (about a twenty minute walk), you can get the 11 which passes the Clonskeagh entrance to Belfield.

All the footpaths are fine and there's no problem walking through Kilcross St any time of the day or night. Where the footpaths are poor/non-existent is along Blackglen road (to the south of the estate) but you'll have no reason to walk there.

Thanks so much for your reply that's exactly what I was interpreting from the Dublin Bus website. Would you happen to know if I was to walk for the 11 bus in Sandyford Estate from Bracken hill is it pedestrianised all the way or is there somewhere I park a car near the bus in Sandyford to pick up the 11?

Thanks so much for your reply that's exactly what I was interpreting from the Dublin Bus website. Would you happen to know if I was to walk for the 11 bus in Sandyford Estate from Bracken hill is it pedestrianised all the way or is there somewhere I park a car near the bus in Sandyford to pick up the 11?

Totally walkable. There's no free parking that I know of.

Where would you be going to every morning for work?

• Advertisement

Thanks for responses I was looking online last night and saw Atlantic home care carpark etc. as an option. I'll be going to Belfield Business Park Beech Hill Road and I'm not sure if there is enough staff parking I would like the option of public transport as back up, especially for going into city centre instead of bringing the car in all the time.

Another thought that crossed my mind is the weather in winter as its up the mountains are the roads lethal at times with ice and snow?

The only reason I am looking here as prices seem more in my range but wondering is it worth it now as seems too out of the way.

Thanks for responses I was looking online last night and saw Atlantic home care carpark etc. as an option. I'll be going to Belfield Business Park Beech Hill Road and I'm not sure if there is enough staff parking I would like the option of public transport as back up, especially for going into city centre instead of bringing the car in all the time.

Another thought that crossed my mind is the weather in winter as its up the mountains are the roads lethal at times with ice and snow?

The only reason I am looking here as prices seem more in my range but wondering is it worth it now as seems too out of the way.
    Beech hill isn't that far away. Would you consider cycling? Would take about 20 mins or so in the morning, downhill. Coming home is uphill.

That car park you mentioned costs aprox 3-5 euro per day.

When it snows heavy, like in 2010, that whole area is a nightmare. I lived right down the bottom of bracken hill and it was very hard to get the car out.
    Most people just abandon their cars up near lamb doyles or in kilcross or even along sandyford road.

As for the people in bracken hill, most are nice ordinary people but like everywhere, you get your skangers (apart from living there, I was a delivery driver for a local takeaway for a few years so I met most of the people in the area)

The snow does sound off putting, thanks again for confirming this, I remember hearing stories about it back then. That's the thing as well I don't cycle and somedays may be bringing a laptop and/or small suitcase with me. So it would be difficult on the bike. Looking at Google maps and property available Stepaside could be a more viable as it seems closer to the luas line and there seems to be a bus 47 which stops at UCD so I'd imagine i could walk through campus to get to the business park. Looking at ticknock I'd be far too dependent on my car which I am trying to avoid.

Snow isn't a problem (in my experience last winter) but ice is deadly. When that happens, we park in Kilcross and walk into the apartment estate. We had to do that twice last winter.

markpb wrote: »
    Snow isn't a problem (in my experience last winter) but ice is deadly. When that happens, we park in Kilcross and walk into the apartment estate. We had to do that twice last winter.
    I lived there from 2008 to 2013 and there was bad snow twice. Once in early 2009 and again in 2010.
    Cars could get into bracken hill but couldn't get out. An ambulance got stuck aswel in the snow one night.

The dodgy bend at the very top was a nightmare aswel even if it was only wet out. The amount of cars that skidded and crashed there was unbelievable!
    I think they put ramps there now.

Thanks guys there seems to be more cons than pros at the minute, I think I will disregard it for the time being!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There's Sandyford View there as well. It doesn't have the dodgy bend in the road like Bracken Hill and a bit less if a slope so its a bit easier to get out of in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sorry for the bump but looking to know what the general area is like nowadays?

Advertisement