Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sole proprietorship on working hol visa

Options
  • 11-02-2015 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,
    I am just thinking of this as a possibility at the moment. I am over in Canada 4months now. I work full time for a company, but am thinking of giving this a go myself if I can.
    Is this a possibility? Can 1 set up a company on a working holiday visa?.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stevplum wrote: »
    Can 1 set up a company on a working holiday visa?.
    Pretty sure you gotta apply for a business visa; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/business.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

This is for Federal Incorporation.
    What percentage of directors must be resident Canadian?
    As per the Canada Business Corporations Act, 25% of the directors must be "resident Canadian". (as per the definition in the Immigration Act)

For example: if there are four directors, at least one must be resident Canadian. if there are 5 directors 2 must be resident Canadian etc…

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs02194.html#percentage

Whilst residency is sufficient intially, it will only suffice for a while. If you have PR status and make up that 25%, you must get citizenship within a short period of being eligible to continue being a (25% or more) director.

Each province has their own rules if you just want to incorporate yourself provincially. I believe that in Quebec for example, you don't have to be "resident Canadian" to incorporate.

Fill in the online form, pay $200, and you're incorporated federally.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

yes you can set up a business (in BC) on an IEC, I did it about 18 months ago, relatively straight forward to set up. But a couple of things to bear in mind:

1. You have to do corporate taxes every year, they can be complex and a pain.
    2. You can charge a lot to the business, phone, internet, rent, car, transport etc. So can work out well financially
    3. You will not be 'working' as such. therefore getting PR while owning a company will be much more complex.

I ended up going full time in a company, mainly because had I stayed as self-employed, I was told by a number of immigration consultants that it is unlikely that I could get PR unless I go down some of the more complex routes which are not as reliable and take much longer.

Advertisement