Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teething and being SHOUTY

Options
  • 11-02-2015 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

OMG I'm soooo tired! Baby Merkin has always been a good sleeper but in the last week is keeping irregular hours and I'm attributing it to teething. Has anyone experience of this please and do babies normally not sleep so well when they're about to cut a tooth? He has numerous sharp ridges on his gums. We have just moved house but I don't think that's the cause. He was having dreams/very unsettled at 3.45am so I got up with him, changed him, he had an 8oz and fell asleep, winded him well, put him in his cot and he's been up shouting since. Not distressed shouting but just shouting and trying to eat everything, including his Grobag. Cheeks are red, dribbling a lot, nappies very grainy and for the first time ever his little bottom is very sore and tender the poor little thing. Any tips on what I can do? Have been using Calpol and Ibuprofen recently but he is just not sleeping properly at all and is not enjoying his food so much either but yet is in quite good form as he's here babbling on his baby gym and rolling around laughing (when he's not shouting at 5am that is:o) Is sleep disturbance a normal teething process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

And sleep has finally defeated him having fallen into his yogurt at 8.08am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Poor little fella. Definitely sounds like teething! I've heard the dentinox toothpaste is very good for teething. I've never used it myself tho so couldn't tell you for sure. Teething can definitely affect their sleep aswell. Especially if they are in pain. We had a very easy ride with my boy. But my little girl has had an awful time with her teeth. Try and get some rest x

Thanks m'dear! Should I start brushing with the Dentinox eventhough he hasn't any teeth yet?

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks m'dear! Should I start brushing with the Dentinox eventhough he hasn't any teeth yet?

It's not really toothpaste hun. And it comes with a little finger brush. You can definitely use it now whilst teething :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

Teething for sure Merkin :) when cutting teeth babies will generally be unsettled, its sore old business trying to get them out of the gums! Another sign I found with my own when they were babies was their wee was slightly more acidic, and used to develop nappy rashes when they were cutting teeth. Blotchy cheeks and irritability is the norm.

Keep a teether in the fridge for him, it will cool the gums as he is gnawing away. It its really bothering him when he's due to sleep a little drop of paracetamol will help him settle for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Poor dote. Sleep disruption is common.

Our GP told us not to spare the pain relief (within dosage limits of course) the priority is getting a raised temperature down, which our fella was prone to around teething. We alternated Neuorfen and Paralink. Check with a pharmacist - we also were able to alternate Calpol and Neurofen.

Calpol never seemed to make a dent in his pain for us though. He was always more cuddly when teething so I'd just set up shop in the rocking chair with everything I needed to hand and enjoyed the cuddles and being able to soothe him.

Thanks girls, good to know it can be attributed to teething. He wasn't even like this as a newborn so it's been quite a sudden shift! Popping out for Dentinox later and I'm alternating Calpol and Ibuprofen although like you Neyite, the former doesn't really do much for discomfort as far as I can see. He is actually being very sweet and good humoured through it all and is still chuckling away, the best way I can describe him is restless and unsettled really. Any tips for a sore bottom? I find Caldesene good, have been lathering on Bepanthen but am loath to rubbing it in too much as it's so red down there :eek: Is there anything else I should be using too? Thanks ladies!xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Teething always disrupts our sleep. We found paralink or neurofen suppositories worked really well to get them to sleep longer/better at night. I have a few friends who swear by them! Calpol didn't do much for us either.

You cut them in half if they're under a certain age. I learned too late that you cut them lengthways so you still have a tapered tip :)

Caldesene is what always worked for us with nappy rash - it does get red raw very quickly when they're teething. Even if you change the horrible explosive teething nappies straightaway it still affects their poor bums! There's a caldease spray too that helped us loads

Thanks so much Woshy, will look into suppositories, excellent idea.

Gave him saline spray and Dentinox this evening and he has been in a lovely little slumber since about 7pm.

He is off his solids having only recently started and living weaning. Is milk and a bit of yogurt ok to sustain him for now?

Poor little mites, they have a lot to go through xx

Thanks so much Woshy, will look into suppositories, excellent idea.

Gave him saline spray and Dentinox this evening and he has been in a lovely little slumber since about 7pm.

He is off his solids having only recently started and living weaning. Is milk and a bit of yogurt ok to sustain him for now?

Poor little mites, they have a lot to go through xx

It's not nice to see I know.

My little boy has been sick with a ear infection the last few days and the doc said he didn't care about food as long as we got lots of fluids into him. He's almost 20 months so I'm sure for your little man that's even more the case, just plenty of fluids. They do go off food when teething - poor things

• Advertisement

Good to know, thank you. A bit disconcerting when they take to solid grub and then lose interest. He's had a little bit if yogurt and some banana for supper but very little on the scheme of things. Hope it passes soon! Hope your little boy mends soon too, ear infections are vile, especially as they often have to be quite bad before being diagnosed.

Thank you all for your help yesterday. He slept from 7pm to after 5am last night and had a very settled night so I was very pleased. Used Dentinox as recomended which seems good, thanks Sligo, gave him some Ibuprofen too after his nighttime milk and also used a saline spray which really helped as the teething seems to make him quite congested but he slept peacefully. Fingers crossed for another good might tonight but just wanted to let you know and to say thanks, I was like a zombie yesterday and to think of him in any discomfort is miserable so thank you for the recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we've started using paralink suppositories instead of calpol. It saves their stomachs being destroyed
    My 14 month old is getting his back teeth now. Every tooth since his first at 4 months has been painful.
    In comparison, my 4 year olds teeth just appeared

we've started using paralink suppositories instead of calpol. It saves their stomachs being destroyed
    My 14 month old is getting his back teeth now. Every tooth since his first at 4 months has been painful.
    In comparison, my 4 year olds teeth just appeared

Thanks for this. I tried my local pharmacy today and they didn't have it, where do you get it if you don't mind my asking?

It's been a really tough week. Up and very unsettled most mornings this week at about 3.30am and being SHOUTY while still asleep. He is sunny during the day until today and he's just been miserable, hopefully it passes soon for him!

Thanks for this. I tried my local pharmacy today and they didn't have it, where do you get it if you don't mind my asking?

It's been a really tough week. Up and very unsettled most mornings this week at about 3.30am and being SHOUTY while still asleep. He is sunny during the day until today and he's just been miserable, hopefully it passes soon for him!

Aw hope you guys ok. Paralink is paracetamol per rectum. They are basically exactly the same but pop up the bum. You can get nurofen suppositories aswell. They should have them in any pharmacy. Pm u now

Poor thing Merkin. It's hard to see isn't it :( any pharmacy I have been to has the paralink so maybe try another one. Neurofen also do suppositories if you can't find the paralink

Where are you locate do? I bought some last week in two different boots - Bloomfield in dun Laoghaire and pointeplace near glenageary if you are around that part of the world

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Aw hope you guys ok. Paralink is paracetamol per rectum. They are basically exactly the same but pop up the bum. You can get nurofen suppositories aswell. They should have them in any pharmacy. Pm u now

Thanks my love. Is ibuprofen PR easier on the tummy?

In Ballsbridge Woshy. Tried Sandymount today with no joy but will try some others, thank you xx

Thanks my love. Is ibuprofen PR easier on the tummy?

In Ballsbridge Woshy. Tried Sandymount today with no joy but will try some others, thank you xx

PR would defo be easier on the wee tummy. It longer lasting than paralink
    Aswell. But I wouldn't make a habit of giving it. It's very good tho when they are in pain. Gives very good relief. Esp when given just before bedtime if they have a temp or are in pain.

Maybe Boots in Blackrock would be worth a check? They're usually pretty well stocked in there

PR would defo be easier on the wee tummy. It longer lasting than paralink
    Aswell. But I wouldn't make a habit of giving it. It's very good tho when they are in pain. Gives very good relief. Esp when given just before bedtime if they have a temp or are in pain.

Thanks. Mum is a nurse and she said the same. That suppositories are fine periodically but can irritate and stretch the little rectum if used too often. I gave him ibuprofen with his evening meal last night and he had a lovely settled sleep until 6am so fingers crossed.
    Woshy wrote: »
    Maybe Boots in Blackrock would be worth a check? They're usually pretty well stocked in there

Thanks Woshy! :) I've only just moved home to Dublin. Where is the Boots in Blackrock? As far as I remember there's a Unicare in Blackrock SC and then a Lloyds or something in Frascati? Can't remember a Boots!

• Advertisement

It's in the shopping centre next to Debenhams. It's only open a few months!

Brilliant, thank you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Katie79

try homeopathy, called Teething Time.
    You can buy amber bracelets for babies or use a necklace wound twice around either wrist or ankle. I imagine that because the bracelet has less amber, the necklace is more effective.
    Camomile tea is good too for soothing gums, just make weakish camomile tea and give it to LO in bottle when cooled to the touch.

Thanks Katie, thankfully he's had no trouble the rest of this week which is great. I shall look into the homeopathy. I'm really opposed to the amber necklaces however. My little chap is a really busy little bee and I'd be really uncomfortable with him having anything at all around his neck. Each to their own etc but definitely not for us. Thank you for the other recommendation though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm really opposed to the amber necklaces however. My little chap is a really busy little bee and I'd be really uncomfortable with him having anything at all around his neck.

The HSE agree with you

Amber Teething Jewellery - warning from the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission:

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/child/childsafety/teething_necklace.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Katie79

Of course, if mums will use only amber to heal the teething pain, HSE and GPs will be left without patients!!!
    Side Effects
    List Infant''s Ibuprofen side effects by likelihood and severity.
    The following side effects are associated with Infant''s Ibuprofen:

Common side effects of Infant''s Ibuprofen:

RashSevere
    DizzyLess Severe
    Feel Like Throwing UpLess Severe
    HeartburnLess Severe
    Stomach CrampsLess Severe
    Infrequent side effects of Infant''s Ibuprofen:

ItchingSevere
    Ringing in the EarsSevere
    Visible Water RetentionSevere
    Water RetentionSevere
    Conditions of Excess Stomach Acid SecretionLess Severe
    DiarrheaLess Severe
    Easily Angered or AnnoyedLess Severe
    GasLess Severe
    Head PainLess Severe
    Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel MovementsLess Severe
    IndigestionLess Severe
    Loss of AppetiteLess Severe
    NervousLess Severe
    Throwing UpLess Severe
    Rare side effects of Infant''s Ibuprofen:

A Rupture in the Wall of the Stomach or IntestineSevere
    Abnormal Heart RhythmSevere
    Abnormal Liver Function TestsSevere
    Acquired Decrease of All Cells in the BloodSevere
    Acute Inflammation of the PancreasSevere
    Allergic Reaction causing Serum SicknessSevere
    AnemiaSevere
    Bleeding Not Related to Menstrual PeriodSevere
    Bleeding of the Stomach or IntestinesSevere
    Blind Spot in the EyeSevere
    Bloody UrineSevere
    Blurred VisionSevere
    BronchospasmSevere
    Burning StomachSevere
    Canker SoreSevere
    Chest PainSevere
    Chest TightnessSevere
    Chronic Heart FailureSevere
    ConfusedSevere
    Decreased Blood PlateletsSevere
    Decreased Neutrophils a Type of White Blood CellSevere
    Decreased White Blood CellsSevere
    Deficiency of Granulocytes a Type of White Blood CellSevere
    DepressionSevere
    Double VisionSevere
    Dry EyeSevere
    Erythema MultiformeSevere
    Excess UrinationSevere
    Giant HivesSevere
    HallucinationSevere
    Hearing ProblemSevere
    Heart AttackSevere
    Hemolytic AnemiaSevere
    HepatitisSevere
    Hepatitis caused by DrugsSevere
    High Blood PressureSevere
    HivesSevere
    Increased Eosinophils in the BloodSevere
    Inflammation of Skin caused by an AllergySevere
    Inflammation of the BladderSevere
    Inflammation of the NoseSevere
    Inflammation of the Skin with BlistersSevere
    Kidney DamageSevere
    Kidney DiseaseSevere
    Kidney FailureSevere
    Life Threatening Allergic ReactionSevere
    Low Blood Counts due to Bone Marrow FailureSevere
    Lupus-Like SyndromeSevere
    Meningitis Not Caused by an InfectionSevere
    Mental ImpairmentSevere
    Mood ChangesSevere
    NosebleedSevere
    Numbness, Tingling or Pain of Hands or FeetSevere
    Pink EyeSevere
    Problems with EyesightSevere
    Reaction due to an AllergySevere
    Red Blood in Bowel MovementSevere
    Renal Papillary NecrosisSevere
    Renal Tubular NecrosisSevere
    Skin Rash with SloughingSevere
    Stevens-Johnson SyndromeSevere
    Stomach or Intestinal UlcerSevere
    Stomach UlcerSevere
    StrokeSevere
    Throwing Up BloodSevere
    Toxic Epidermal NecrolysisSevere
    Trouble BreathingSevere
    Ulcer from Stomach AcidSevere
    Ulcers of EsophagusSevere
    VasculitisSevere
    Vision Changes caused by MedicationsSevere
    Vocal Cord SwellingSevere
    WheezingSevere
    Yellowing of Skin or Eyes from Liver ProblemsSevere
    AnxiousLess Severe
    Chronic Trouble SleepingLess Severe
    DrowsinessLess Severe
    Dry MouthLess Severe
    Fast HeartbeatLess Severe
    Heart Throbbing or PoundingLess Severe
    Hemorrhage of Blood Under the SkinLess Severe
    Mouth IrritationLess Severe
    Sun-Sensitive SkinLess Severe
    Temporary Redness of Face and NeckLess Severe

Katie79 wrote: »
    Of course, if mums will use only amber to heal the teething pain, HSE and GPs will be left without patients!!!
    Side Effects

RashSevere
    DizzyLess Severe
    HeartburnLess Severe

ItchingSevere
    Water RetentionSevere
    DiarrheaLess Severe
    GasLess Severe
    Head PainLess Severe
    IndigestionLess Severe
    NervousLess Severe
    Throwing UpLess Severe

AnemiaSevere
    Bloody UrineSevere
    Blurred VisionSevere
    BronchospasmSevere
    Burning StomachSevere
    Canker SoreSevere
    Chest PainSevere
    Chest TightnessSevere
    ConfusedSevere
    DepressionSevere
    Double VisionSevere
    Dry EyeSevere
    Excess UrinationSevere
    Giant HivesSevere
    HallucinationSevere
    Hearing ProblemSevere
    Heart AttackSevere
    Hemolytic AnemiaSevere
    HepatitisSevere
    HivesSevere
    Kidney DamageSevere
    Kidney DiseaseSevere
    Kidney FailureSevere
    Mental ImpairmentSevere
    Mood ChangesSevere
    NosebleedSevere
    Pink EyeSevere
    Stomach UlcerSevere
    StrokeSevere
    Throwing Up BloodSevere
    Trouble BreathingSevere
    VasculitisSevere
    WheezingSevere
    AnxiousLess Severe
    DrowsinessLess Severe
    Dry MouthLess Severe

Possible side effects of choking on an amber teething necklace...

Death

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Possible side effects of choking on an amber teething necklace...

Death

It's probably no coincidence that since joning boards, Katie has only ever posted about the use of Amber.

Katie obviously knows more than the HSE and Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Katie79 wrote: »
    Side Effects

RashSevere
    DizzyLess Severe
    HeartburnLess Severe

ItchingSevere
    Water RetentionSevere
    DiarrheaLess Severe
    GasLess Severe
    Head PainLess Severe
    IndigestionLess Severe
    NervousLess Severe
    Throwing UpLess Severe

AnemiaSevere
    Bloody UrineSevere
    Blurred VisionSevere
    BronchospasmSevere
    Burning StomachSevere
    Canker SoreSevere
    Chest PainSevere
    Chest TightnessSevere
    ConfusedSevere
    DepressionSevere
    Double VisionSevere
    Dry EyeSevere
    Excess UrinationSevere
    Giant HivesSevere
    HallucinationSevere
    Hearing ProblemSevere
    Heart AttackSevere
    Hemolytic AnemiaSevere
    HepatitisSevere
    HivesSevere
    Kidney DamageSevere
    Kidney DiseaseSevere
    Kidney FailureSevere
    Mental ImpairmentSevere
    Mood ChangesSevere
    NosebleedSevere
    Pink EyeSevere
    Stomach UlcerSevere
    StrokeSevere
    Throwing Up BloodSevere
    Trouble BreathingSevere
    VasculitisSevere
    WheezingSevere
    AnxiousLess Severe
    DrowsinessLess Severe
    Dry MouthLess Severe

I think common side effects is over stating it, don't you!! As far as I know, any reported side effect has to be listed even if its 1:1000 There are reports that show people experience side effects taking placebo drugs in trials. I'm all for trying to alleviate my 15 month olds pain by other means(cool teething toys, cucumber sticks, massaging her gums, homemade frozen yogurt etc) before turning to medication but if my gums were hugely swollen and I was miserable I wouldn't be relying on a piece of amber around my neck! In the early days of teething before it got too bad I tried the Teetha granules despite being skeptical of homeopathy. Whether it was a placebo effect or not she seemed to get a little relief from them, maybe it was distraction more than anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

And this thread has just descended in to farce.

katie79 - I suggest you read the charter - particularly the section about soapboxing before posting scaremongering rubbish again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement