Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I currently have UK Freeview channels on my Saorview

• 11-02-2015 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

I live in Clara, Co. Offaly.

I have a regular Saorview aerial on my chimney that gets me Saorview from Carn Hill. I have no booster or any extras but now during the high pressure I'm picking up the UK freveview channels along with Saorview.

Was wondering if I get a booster would this ensure the UK freeview would carry on working after the high pressure is gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I doubt it unfortunately , the tropo reception you are getting now is pretty exceptional.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Woodie40

Tony wrote: »
    I doubt it unfortunately , the tropo reception you are getting now is pretty exceptional.

Sorry, what do you mean by tropo. I usually have great Freeview reception but since last Friday most of Freeview has gone.

Tropo is tropospheric ducting, its an atmospheric condition that happens from time to time

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Sorry, what do you mean by tropo. I usually have great Freeview reception but since last Friday most of Freeview has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Woodie40

Tony wrote: »
    Tropo is tropospheric ducting, its an atmospheric condition that happens from time to time

Thanks Tony, so I assume this would be affecting everyone in the east of the country or everywhere?

Tropo really just extends the distance from the transmitter that signals can be received so it should not affect anyone who has regular freeview reception unless there is interference from another transmitter on the same frequency.
    Woodie40 wrote: »
    Thanks Tony, so I assume this would be affecting everyone in the east of the country or everywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

CJmasgrande.
    I am the opposite to you living in Pembrokeshire so I put up an aerial pointed at Mt Leinster as I wanted to receive the Saorview service.
    Try to find out which Freeview transmitter you are receiving and get an aerial for that "group" of channels from that transmitter.
    Also get a uhf/uhf aerial combiner box so that both aerials can be fed into the TV using one lead.
    Nice to have both services.
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    CJmasgrande.
    I am the opposite to you living in Pembrokeshire so I put up an aerial pointed at Mt Leinster as I wanted to receive the Saorview service.
    Try to find out which Freeview transmitter you are receiving and get an aerial for that "group" of channels from that transmitter.
    Also get a uhf/uhf aerial combiner box so that both aerials can be fed into the TV using one lead.
    Nice to have both services.
    Regards

Oscar, what is your saorview reception like in wales?
    tks

kooga.
    I live on a hill on the Pembrokeshire coast and about 130 miles as the crow flies from Mt Leinster.
    I use a 5 element grouped aerial for Mt Leinster and my Sony TV reports back as signal strength "HIGH" as does my Freeview from Preseli .
    I was having problems recently with the signal breaking up and going completely but having looked behind the tower of boxes alongside the TV discovered the cat had curled up amongst the cables and partially disconnected one of them !!

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    .... the cat had curled up amongst the cables and partially disconnected one of them !!

Regards
    And I thought cat's whiskers were only used in early radio sets :D

And I thought cat's whiskers were only used in early radio sets :D

When I catch him ............

1 cat --- number of lives left = 8 !!
    Only kidding .
    Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement