Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post graduation in Computer Science in Ireland for experienced software prodessional

Options
  • 11-02-2015 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello All,
    I am really confused between post graduate courses in computer science.
    I’ve applied in the given courses and I have to choose one,

1. MSc Computing Science in UCC ,
    2. MSc Computer Science (Negotiated Learning) in UCD,
    3. MSc Computer Science (Networks and Distributed Systems) in TCD,
    4. Msc in Advanced Software Engineering in DIT.

Of the above options which course will have the maximum job opportunity in Ireland. I already have 4 years of experience in software engineering.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

anubhav wrote: »
    the maximum job opportunity

First question - how do you quantify this? In other words, how can you measure which course would have the "maximum job opportunity"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 anubhav

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. My way of quantifying is by how much a course is recognized by the employer.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. My way of quantifying is by how much a course is recognized by the employer.

But it's the same, isn't it? How do you quantify how much a course is recognised by an employer?

It's totally subjective.

My advice? Do the course that suits your own personal situation and career plans.

Hi Tom,

Basically I have 4 years of experience in software engineering, now I want to take break and upskill/update myself in areas of software design and new software technologies in BigData and Cloud Computing. But also I have to make sure I land on a job after the course that's why I used the word "reputation"

Also I am looking for course that is more on the practical side than theoretical.

Regards
    Anubhav

• Advertisement

Hi Tom,

Basically I have 4 years of experience in software engineering, now I want to take break and upskill/update myself in areas of software design and new software technologies in BigData and Cloud Computing. But also I have to make sure I land on a job after the course that's why I used the word "reputation"

But can any institution guarantee you that you will land a job after graduation? No, it cannot.

All of the above institutions you listed are reputable. So choose a course that suits your career goals and personal situation, in the areas you have listed above.

The courses that suit me best are

Msc in Advanced Software Engineering in DIT
    MSc Computing Science in UCC

but I thought the universities are not as reputed as UCD and TCD, that's whey I was confused.

Regards

Anubhav

The courses that suit me best are

Msc in Advanced Software Engineering in DIT
    MSc Computing Science in UCC

but I thought the universities are not as reputed as UCD and TCD, that's whey I was confused.

DIT is very reputable, as is University College Cork (UCC). There is a level of bias/snobbery/call-it-what-you-will towards TCD and UCD, but in today's IT market, I'm not so sure that is as prevalent as it used to be.

Just as a side note, you do know that UCC is in the south of the country? Around 250Km from Dublin. (I'm assuming you are not Irish, correct me if I am wrong). So that might rule it out for you straight away.

Institutes of Technology tend to veer towards the more practical than theoretical, so perhaps DIT would suit you.

Either way, all of the courses you list are comparable in terms of the level (Level 9 on the National Qualifications Framework), so from that perspective, are of equal status.

Thanks Tom.

You saved my life :)

Advertisement