Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has my oven being wired dangerously?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    ....except in this case it is a single oven with no rings.

Sorry about that. So it is.

However we are often quoted a "total connected load" with these appliances which cannot be simultaneously energised. So the manufacturer might add the grill element to the oven element and quote this as the power even though it is not possible to do this.

In reality 15kW of cooking appliances can generally be fed from a single 30/32A domestic cooker circuit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Utilization factor is a the ratio of the amount of energy used divided by the maximum possible to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks a million for all your input. A fair whack was over my head tbh.

One thing I should have added is that the socket is behind the fridge. He then has a short extension chord plugged into it, and plugged into that are the fridge and oven.

I get the impression if it overloads the trip will switch so I'm not too worried about the place burning down.

I will get an electrician out if needs be but I'd just rather not have to fork out if it can be avoided. I'm already skint!

Thanks again

Only saw this part now.

I wouldn't leave it like that. Not with the trailing lead. If the hob is wired to the mains and the cooker is nearby then hooking the oven up inline with the regs should be quick and cheap. And don't just get a registered electrician, get a good registered electrician. There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

Risteard81 wrote: »

In reality 15kW of cooking appliances can generally be fed from a single 30/32A domestic cooker circuit.

Potentially close to a 70 amp draw on a 30/32 amp circuit??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

MrWatt wrote: »
    Potentially close to a 70 amp draw on a 30/32 amp circuit??

The point is that it isn't potentially a 70A draw. It is actually impossible to achieve anything like that, and in reality it has been shown over many years that a 30A supply is perfectly adequate for it.

IEE guidance (notwithstanding the fact that ETCI Rules and not IEE Wiring Regulations are what is relevant in this case) suggests that domestic cooker diversity can be assumed to be the first 10A of the load plus 30% of the remainder.

This formula has worked for decades without any issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement