Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitch Chat

Options
  • 11-02-2015 11:21am
    Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

I have seen that a few high profile channels have disabled the twitch chat feature (namely the MTG one) and it got me thinking about it in general.
    If I join a channel where there is a big tournament or something going on, the first thing I do is hide the chat. But if say I was watching a player with low enough viewers, the chat is actually okay (again, niche players/channels which arent popular) as you can interact with the player and talk to them about strategy etc.

I suppose what I'm really asking is if there is anyone that uses the chat all the time on the big games and if so, how? It just seems to be this endless stream of gobbledygook and nonsense in which a line of text doesn't stay for more than 3 seconds and is generally unreadable. What is the attraction? Is this youth culture online taken to an extreme? 'trolling' is the excuse given from what I've read before but it doesn't seem like it, it seems to be just a tag attributed so the behaviour doesn't seem so lame "I was trolling so it was funny". Is it the lowest form of popular communication or are youtube comments still the heavyweight champion here?

Gaming culture has really come under the limelight in the past 5/6 years and especially in the past year with the gamergate/harassing feminists movement so is this another facet of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

(ง ͠ ͠° ل͜ °)ง ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴsᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴅʟɪᴇsᴛ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR DONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴄʜᴀᴛ ᴍᴏᴅs (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ sᴘᴀᴍ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ As I ʜᴏʟᴅ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴜʀᴀɪ sᴡᴏʀᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴍʏ sᴛᴏᴍᴀᴄʜ ᴀs I ᴡᴀs ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴏᴍᴍɪᴛ sᴜᴅᴏᴋᴜ, I ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ Kʀɪᴘᴘ ᴘʟᴀʏ Cᴀsᴜᴀʟsᴛᴏɴᴇ... I ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ Kʀɪᴘ ᴡᴀs Nᴏʟɪғᴇ... ɴᴏᴡ I ᴀᴍ Nᴏʟɪғᴇ...ɢᴏᴏᴅ ʙʏᴇ ᴋʀɪᴘᴘ ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

(╭ರ_•́)\ Mr. Fors we politely ask for the program 'Plug-Dj" to be used in this live broadcast for alas we will stir up a ruckus (╭ರ_•́)

(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄ ɴᴀᴍᴇ's ᴅᴏɴɢ. ᴊᴀᴍᴇs ᴅᴏɴɢ (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง I have been training since before I was born, and today is the day. Today is the day I spam. (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽YOU CAME TO THE WRONG DONGERHOOD༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

༼ ºل͟º ༼ ºل͟º ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ºل͟º ༽ ºل͟º ༽ YOU PASTARINO'D THE WRONG DONGERINO ༼ ºل͟º ༼ ºل͟º ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ºل͟º ༽ ºل͟º ༽

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༽ºل͟º ༽ YOU COPERINO FRAPPUCCIONO PASTARINO'D THE WRONG DONGERINO ༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༽ºل͟º ༽

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽You either die a DONG, or live long enough to become the DONGER༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

༼ ಠل͟ರೃ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ YOU ARRIVED IN THE INCORRECT DONGERHOOD, SIR༼ ಠل͟ರೃ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ಠل͟ರೃ ༽

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚ clickty clack clickty clack with this chant I summon spam to the chat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ. ʜᴀʀᴅᴇʀ, ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ, ғᴀsᴛᴇʀ, ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀ .ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

ヽ(◉◡◔)ノ I'M LOL FAN AND I HAVE DOWN SYNDROME ヽ(◉◡◔)ノ

(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง ᴍᴀsᴛᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀ, ᴍᴀsᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴇᴍʏ (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

(ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง LET ME DEMONSTRATE DONGER DIPLOMACY (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง

(\ ( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°) /) OUR DONGERS ARE RAZOR SHARP (\ ( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°) /)

ヽ༼◥▶ل͜◀◤༽ノ RO RO RAISE YOUR DONGERS ヽ༼◥▶ل͜◀◤༽ノ

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿[} ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿^ Stop right there criminal scum! no one RIOTs on my watch. I'm confiscating your goods. now pay your fine, or it's off to jail.

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽ YOU'RE UNDER ARREST FOR BEING CASUAL. COME OUT WITH YOUR DONGERS RAISED ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽

(ง'̀-'́)ง DONG OR DIE (ง'̀-'́)ง

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ VOICE OF AN ANGEL ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ LETS GET DONGERATED ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR BARNO ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ "I have a dong" ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ - Martin Luther King Jr.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ OJ poured and candle lit, with this chant i summon Kripp ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

☑ OJ poured ☑ Candle lit ☑ Summoning the Kripp ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜O༽ノ ʀᴀɪs ᴜʀ ᴅᴀɢᴇʀᴏ ヽ༼ຈل͜___ຈ༽ノ

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)งSuccubus release Kripp or taste our rage(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง

ノ(ಠ_ಠノ ) ʟᴏᴡᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀs ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)

ヽ༼Ὸل͜ຈ༽ノ HOIST THY DONGERS ヽ༼Ὸل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ノ Kripp you are kinda like my dad, except you're always there for me. ヽ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ノ

█▄༼ຈل͜ຈ༽▄█ yeah i work out

༼ ºل͟º ༽ I AM A DONG ༼ ºل͟º ༽

༼ ºل͟º༽ I DIDN'T CHOOSE THE DONGLIFE, THE DONGLIFE CHOSE ME ༼ ºل͟º༽

༼ ºل͟º༽ NO ONE CARED WHO I WAS UNTIL I PUT ON THE DONG ༼ ºل͟º༽

༼ ºººººل͟ººººº ༽ I AM SUPER DONG ༼ ºººººل͟ººººº ༽

┌∩┐༼ ºل͟º ༽┌∩┐ SUCK MY DONGER ┌∩┐༼ ºل͟º ༽┌∩┐

ζ༼Ɵ͆ل͜Ɵ͆༽ᶘ FINALLY A REAL DONG ζ༼Ɵ͆ل͜Ɵ͆༽ᶘ

<ᴍᴇssᴀɢᴇ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀᴇᴅ>

ヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノIS THAT A DONGER IN YOUR POCKET?ヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノ

༼ ͡■ل͜ ͡■༽ OPPA DONGER STYLE ༼ ͡■ل͜ ͡■༽

( ° ͜ ʖ °) REGI OP ( ° ͜ ʖ °)

(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄ IM DONG,JAMES DONG (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

(ง⌐□ل͜□)ง WOULD YOU HIT A DONGER WITH GLASSES (ง⌐□ل͜□)ง

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ CUDDLE UR DONGERS ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ) let me hold your donger for a while ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ง MY RIGHT DONG IS ALOT STRONGER THAN MY LEFT ONE ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ง

(✌゚∀゚)☞ May the DONG be with you! ☚(゚ヮ゚☚)

(⌐■_■)=/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Keep Your Dongers Where i Can See Them

̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ DUDE̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ PLEASE NO COPY PASTERONI MACORONI DONGERIN

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°) Mom always said my donger was big for my age ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

(/゚Д゚)/ WE WANT SPELUNKY (/゚Д゚)/

─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ sᴜᴘᴇʀ ᴅᴏɴɢ

(✌゚∀゚)☞ POINT ME TO THE DONGERS (✌゚∀゚)☞

ᕙ( ^ₒ^ c) 〇〇〇〇ᗩᗩᗩᗩᕼᕼ ᕙ( ^ₒ^ c)

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ArcheAge or BEES ヽ̛͟͢༼͝ຈ͢͠لຈ҉̛༽̨҉҉ノ̨

୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ MRGLRLRLR ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノITS A HARD DONG LIFE ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノMOLLYヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

༼ つ ຈل͜ຈ ༽つ GIVE MOLLY ༼ つ ຈل͜ຈ ༽つ

†ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ† By the power of donger I summon MOLLY †ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ†

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノTAKING A DUMPヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ WHAT DOESNT KILL ME ONLY MAKES ME DONGER ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ FOREVER DONG ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Mo' money, mo' Dongers [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

༼ᕗຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ Drop Bows on 'em ༼ᕗຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Ѱζ༼ᴼل͜ᴼ༽ᶘѰ HIT IT WITH THE FORK Ѱζ༼ᴼل͜ᴼ༽ᶘѰ

Ψ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽Ψ hit it with the fork Ψ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽Ψ

(∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆゚. * ・ 。゚ Copypastus Totalus!!

ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ༼ຈ ل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ、ヽヽ`ヽ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's not exclusive to twitch/gaming people of an age grew up with some unofficial rules on how to conduct themselves online neticate if you will.

These days there are few places online that have comment/chat sections that aren't filled with nonsense and bile. Pick a random youtube video regardless of the subject , the comment section of the journal etc. etc. all filled with rubbish and worse.

I firmly believe there should be some kind captcha like system that will also test the persons IQ or something before they can post something online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I hate twitch chat on large streams, and I hate youtube comments on anything that was linked on reddit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Twitch chat on a channel with < 1000 people can be ok. More than it's almost always just awful. Pointless for big streams.

Mob mentality combined with not having to "learn" how to get on to websites and the internet in general means no netiquette or indeed intelligence barrier - it's true for everything, not just gaming - have you seen YouTube comments/TheJournal/the rest of this site? :)

Make people pass a your/you're or to/too/two or they're/there/their test (with obvious acceptable substitutes for people with learning or lexic issues)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

What exactly is that Cuddlesworth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Some of the shorter copypasta that gets spammed on the larger streams when there is no heavy moderation. Twitch past about 3k people turns into a stream of verbal diarrhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sub mode chat can be ok. It involves much whining though from non-subs. Tuck Frump and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

SeantheMan wrote: »
    and I hate youtube comments on anything that was linked on reddit.

Try the Hide Fedora plugin for chrome and firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Try the Hide Fedora plugin for chrome and firefox

I just don't read them at all.
    When I did reply to 1 or 2 vids, a few month's back....endless notifications from Google about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Funniest thing ive seen was during the LCS, roughly 200k watching the stream.

Someone typed "Type !skin to enter a draw for a free skin"

The !skin spam lasted for 40 minutes.

I agree with what was said earlier, if theres only a few watching the chat is actually good and readable. Ive also found some channels that get a good fwe viewers and have nice chats. xSmaK comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

it's dribble, the intentions are that the streamer can interact with the audience - but as it stands its a waste of space on a channel with a large number of viewers.

I can think of ways it could be improved, but I am aware that some people watch streams primarily to read the lulzy comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

I was kinda tempted to replace :rolleyes: with Kappa for all the whingers out there who seem to think that a rolleyes response to the latest episode of mind-numbing stupidity they've posted is an assault on their freedoms...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Am I the only one who loses the will to live at the thought of watching other people play games online?? As opposed to actually playing them yourself.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Am I the only one who loses the will to live at the thought of watching other people play games online?? As opposed to actually playing them yourself.

Some games really lend themselves to it, some really don't. Sometimes the streamer is very entertaining and you're not really there for the game per se. There's merit to watching high level players stream say Hearthstone to learn how to play better too. There's also the "I can't do that but I can watch it" aspect that you have in sports with e-sports and things like speed running.

to me its just really fascinating. Like theres always the irony of "oh its like watching monkeys shout in a jungle" but if you take it as a metaphor, it is, it absolutely is. Just meaningless noise. Thing is though, there is that self defence mechanism I've noticed in which they try and excuse the behaviour "Its trolling" or... "kappa". Seems like go to phrases that exist just to make people comfortable with themselves. People last year were talking a lot about gaming culture and what it means, this just reinforces the fact that yeah, its mostly adolescent males that just wanna make noise

BMMachine wrote: »
    its mostly adolescent males that just wanna make noise
    A thousand times this!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

I have seen that a few high profile channels have disabled the twitch chat feature (namely the MTG one) and it got me thinking about it in general.
    If I join a channel where there is a big tournament or something going on, the first thing I do is hide the chat. But if say I was watching a player with low enough viewers, the chat is actually okay (again, niche players/channels which arent popular) as you can interact with the player and talk to them about strategy etc.

I suppose what I'm really asking is if there is anyone that uses the chat all the time on the big games and if so, how? It just seems to be this endless stream of gobbledygook and nonsense in which a line of text doesn't stay for more than 3 seconds and is generally unreadable. What is the attraction? Is this youth culture online taken to an extreme? 'trolling' is the excuse given from what I've read before but it doesn't seem like it, it seems to be just a tag attributed so the behaviour doesn't seem so lame "I was trolling so it was funny". Is it the lowest form of popular communication or are youtube comments still the heavyweight champion here?

Gaming culture has really come under the limelight in the past 5/6 years and especially in the past year with the gamergate/harassing feminists movement so is this another facet of that?

I no what you are talking about i watch Games done quick on twitch and before i new how to hide the chat i used to look at it and wonder what is going on there. I also stream myself and from time to time i get people coming in they seem to know each other has been up to about 10 at any one time and they can fill my chat with same stuff because twitch doesnt seem to have any limit on how many times you can post per min there. 10 people can really fill a chat belive me 1000+ completly ruin it.

another thing that i have noticed is that if a user with a girls name or miss in there name and when they leave a comment people are more interested in talking to her that asking me about the game which kind of annoys me about it. its turning gaming site into a dating site.

even the whole thing if you look at some of the popular steamers say female with 500 + live viewers you will notice that she is good looking and not good at the game and if you watch the chat they are all only watching because she is good looking. its just anoying because sometimes i might be doing something on a game say a fifa coin making stream im really good at them and i would have 50 viewers. but if a girl was to play fifa and not even being good at it she can have 200+ which is annoying but thats the twitch thing.

sorry for the rant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

MadYaker wrote: »

I like to watch dark souls speed runs , the Binding of Isacc and Super Mario Maker. I also play these games myself. Just interesting watching some of the better players play the same games as me really. I sort of know the good channels to watch now, and which ones to avoid (streamers that annoy me)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I no what you are talking about i watch Games done quick on twitch and before i new how to hide the chat i used to look at it and wonder what is going on there. I also stream myself and from time to time i get people coming in they seem to know each other has been up to about 10 at any one time and they can fill my chat with same stuff because twitch doesnt seem to have any limit on how many times you can post per min there. 10 people can really fill a chat belive me 1000+ completly ruin it.

another thing that i have noticed is that if a user with a girls name or miss in there name and when they leave a comment people are more interested in talking to her that asking me about the game which kind of annoys me about it. its turning gaming site into a dating site.

even the whole thing if you look at some of the popular steamers say female with 500 + live viewers you will notice that she is good looking and not good at the game and if you watch the chat they are all only watching because she is good looking. its just anoying because sometimes i might be doing something on a game say a fifa coin making stream im really good at them and i would have 50 viewers. but if a girl was to play fifa and not even being good at it she can have 200+ which is annoying but thats the twitch thing.

sorry for the rant

you need to show more cleavage :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Gaming nerds in ogling a lovely lady shocker :( It's really, really pathetic the way these man children react to someone with boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

I agree but what i do is quite clevel see i play with 1 or 2 girls at different times and i allow the party chat to be heard by the stream and randomers come in thinking its me thats talking handy for extra views if your low

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

to me its just really fascinating. Like theres always the irony of "oh its like watching monkeys shout in a jungle" but if you take it as a metaphor, it is, it absolutely is. Just meaningless noise. Thing is though, there is that self defence mechanism I've noticed in which they try and excuse the behaviour "Its trolling" or... "kappa". Seems like go to phrases that exist just to make people comfortable with themselves. People last year were talking a lot about gaming culture and what it means, this just reinforces the fact that yeah, its mostly adolescent males that just wanna make noise

Sure if you look only as far twitch and summarise that as 'gaming culture' which doesn't really exist as all kinds of gamers from tekken money matches, monster hunter sleep overs and the biggest LAN parties all have hugely different audience, atmosphere and social rules. Sitting there looking at a live webchat gives you a very narrow view into the world of gaming no matter what twitch marketing department would like to size themselves up to be.

CQ6e7dh.jpg

Sure if you look only as far twitch and summarise that as 'gaming culture' which doesn't really exist as all kinds of gamers from tekken money matches, monster hunter sleep overs and the biggest LAN parties all have hugely different audience, atmosphere and social rules. Sitting there looking at a live webchat gives you a very narrow view into the world of gaming no matter what twitch marketing department would like to size themselves up to be.

There is a point there though, the most visible part of gaming culture to those not immersed in it are those ten thousand 15 year olds screaming in a LoL/Hearthstone/whatever chat. It's much harder for them to see the 100ish viewer channels where it'd remind you more of a conversation in a pub at some hobby event. It's the same with Reddit, I've seen friends of mine declare all of the site to be a mysogynistic/SJW hellhole because they've only ever looked at a few front page subs with 1+ million subscribers or the genuinely awful examples of humanity that occupy a small part of the site.

Fundamentally people just don't seem to understand how the internet works and generalise from examples of those who shout loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭briany

calex71 wrote: »
    It's not exclusive to twitch/gaming people of an age grew up with some unofficial rules on how to conduct themselves online neticate if you will.

These days there are few places online that have comment/chat sections that aren't filled with nonsense and bile. Pick a random youtube video regardless of the subject , the comment section of the journal etc. etc. all filled with rubbish and worse.

I firmly believe there should be some kind captcha like system that will also test the persons IQ or something before they can post something online :D

I think this is a case of finding what one seeks, as well as being about the kind of videos you're looking at. I've looked at a fair few funny dog/cat videos in my time, as many of us have, and the vast majority of comments I read on those things would be about how funny or cute the dog or cat is, not a racist tirade or any other kind of nonsense totally unrelated to the video. Of course certain videos will be more wont to attract nonsense than others but I don't think that makes it fair to say that Youtube's entire comment system is a cesspool either. Generally, I find that worthwhile comments are voted up, and nonsense is voted down or hidden in a nest of about 50 comments, below a top comment. Either way, it's rare that I see or notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I've seen this face thing before, could someone please explain the reference? I assume it's a twitch thing. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Turtwig wrote: »
    I've seen this face thing before, could someone please explain the reference? I assume it's a twitch thing. :o

It called kappa, its a picture of a guy that worked for twitch. I think it means sarcasm basically, a comment followed by that picture means its a joke and/or being sarcastic...jesus I feel old.

On the girls on twitch thing. You now expect the usual chat comments etc. but some of them are playing a AAA game as far as I'm concerned , I've seen more than a few too. They totally ignore and seem oblivious to the derogatory comments, seem good at the game being played and at the same time will bot the hell out of their amazon wishlists :D

Fair play to them I say :pac:

the idea of Kaceytron and her ilk creep me out. as backwards as the frag dollz or whatever the f**k that ubisoft "pro" team were. How did you become a frag doll? be at a professional level at games? f**k no. full head and body shots please

• Advertisement
Advertisement