Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decemberists - Vicar St

Options
  • 11-02-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Heading to Decemberists tonight.

Saw them couple of years ago, also in Vicar St. It was the tour for The King is Dead. Wasn’t keen on that album, but overall the gig was pretty good. Had a lot of lull moments though.

Really looking forward to this gig. I think their new album is a cracker. There’s a bit more excitement to it than the previous one.

Anyone else here heading along tonight? What are expectations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The new album is excellent, so I'd expect at least seven or eight tracks from it, and a few from The King Is Dead. Other than that, it's hard to say. They might dig deep into the back catalogue, but it's hard to say, being the first night. They've not played many shows recently and they've acknowledged that they're not road-tested, so I think it'll have a nice, slightly ramshackle feel to it. It seems to have more or less sold out. Only upstairs standing room available when I checked the other day, out of interest.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Was really looking forward to this but the wife has come down with tonsillitis. Guess I'll have to wait and see them some other time. Love the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

its the first date of the european tour which may or may not be a good thing.... fairly sure they'll go back as far as the crane wife album anyway.... they do like vicar street tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

That was such a great gig. I'm only familiar with two of their albums (Crane Wife and the new one) but I really enjoyed the whole show. Brilliant performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

great sound and an astonishingly tight band-great night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Singer Addresses His Audience
    16 Military Wives
    Down by the Water
    The Wrong Year
    The Island
    Los Angeles, I'm Yours
    Carolina Low
    Make You Better
    The Hazards of Love 2 (Wager All)
    The Rake's Song
    Lake Song
    Eli, the Barrow Boy
    The Legionnaire's Lament
    Calamity Song
    O Valencia!

The Sporting Life
    June Hymn
    A Beginning Song

The Mariner's Revenge Song

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Really enjoyed that gig last night. With the Decemberists, it’s more than just going along listening to the music. It’s the overall show, with the banter from the band.
    The Island and Mariner’s.. really made my night.

I usually don’t take any notice of talkers/distractors during a gig, but I really placed myself in a bad position for the gig. 2 girls just in front of me were just interested in getting plssed, and as the night went on, the drunker and louder they got. But it did turn kinda funny – they started getting touchy/feely with each other, hugs and little kisses on the cheek. And telling each other how great a friend the other person is. It wouldn’t be a shock if they woke up this morning in the same bed, looked at each other and said “oh oh, what happened last night?”. And then a group of nordies started on one another. Arguing like a bunch of kids. God bless their lynxes – but they had the loudest voices I’ve ever heard.

Anyway, moan over. It didn’t take away from a wonderful night. Great gig for the first one of the tour. And great mix of old and new tunes. And to finish off with Mariner’s …. was just unreal. A lot of people had left for that part – weren’t expecting them back after the encore. It was a big moment to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Great gig. I enjoyed the opening band too, interesting sound

Advertisement