Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redevelopment of Smithfield Market given go ahead.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

So that's both market projects picking up again in the last month (the Iveagh being reported at the start of the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I believe the Capel st to Manor St area has great potential to become an even more vibrant part of Dublin city. There are some great niche stores that you stumble upon when walking the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Yeah, but only after locals got their ‘sports and leisure’ facilities added to the plan too.

Anywho, this market, and the general area, has way more potential than the glorified ‘hotel with shops’ that the Iveagh Market development is set to be become, so I look forward to seeing what happens. Just please keep as many of the individual traders and single plot buildings that circle the market as possible too, as this is what makes an area thrive.

Also, surface level car-parks. In a city centre…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Anywho, this market, and the general area, has way more potential than the glorified ‘hotel with shops’ that the Iveagh Market development is set to be become

Why do you say that? The location of the Iveagh Market is very advantageous I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Well that’s true, but as it’s largely a hotel development (and privately owned), I don’t see it having the same impact as a market owned by DCC, which already has an established business.

The area behind the Fruit and Veg market is ripe for regeneration. There’s lots of empty plots, a smattering of historic buildings, and if managed well (and not simply developed for the sake of it) it could become a proper ‘neighbourhood’ in its own right

• Advertisement
Advertisement