Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in an aparment

• 11-02-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm not sure if that's the right thread.

I'm going to buy an apartment where the rules says pet is not permitted. I have a dog, it's a therapy/services dog, trained and he has always lived in apartments. I have tried to know if the dog could be in my new home. As well we are going to buy a ground floor, so we aren't going to use the common area as lift, as stairs or carpets. There are a lot of apartments and houses where pets is allow in this area. Normally the rules are: pets must be supervised at all time and do not cause damage to common areas, with the exception that no pets are permitted if they cause annoyance or nuisance to fellow residents.

Also I don't have any reply from the Management Company when I have tried to know more information about the rules.

In the worst case, if I would ignore the rules, What's the Worst That Could Happen? Could they remove my dog? is that legal?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Miguel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

If the rules say a pet is not permitted then why would you think you would be exempt? If the management company say it's ok for you to keep your dog I would get that in writing from them to avoid any problems down the line, however I would not be buying an apartment that doesn't permit pets without a confirmation in writing that you can bring your dog.

And ps you should maybe cross post in Accommodation and Property forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maglez81

Because it's a small build, there are 6 apartment and I live near this build, I have seen other dogs. I'm waiting to have a confirmation of the Management Company to progress with the mortgage.

PS: I think it's a good idea, however I don't know how I can cross the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

maglez81 wrote: »
    Because it's a small build, there are 6 apartment and I live near this build, I have seen other dogs. I'm waiting to have a confirmation of the Management Company to progress with the mortgage.

No pets means no pets. Why is that difficult to understand. So no spiders, mice, gerbils cats etc either.

No pets means no pets. Why is that difficult to understand. So no spiders, mice, gerbils cats etc either.

Do you know what therapy/services/guide dog are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do you know what save/guide dogs are?

Do you require to have this dog due to a medical condition?

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Do you require to have this dog due to a medical condition?

I don't, my dog has been volunteer as an assistant to the elderly and Disabled children. He is a certificate therapy/services dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Do you know what save/guide dogs are?

I've never heard the phrase "save dog" referring to a guide dog. When I read your post, I actually assumed you meant it was a rescue dog, meaning one which had been adopted. A guide dog, I would imagine would be different to a pet.

syklops wrote: »
    I've never heard the phrase "save dog" referring to a guide dog. When I read your post, I actually assumed you meant it was a rescue dog, meaning one which had been adopted. A guide dog, I would imagine would be different to a pet.

Sorry I wanted to say: therapy/services dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

What about the people who dont like pets, who bought apartments there knowing that they would not have to deal with dogs.

To be honest, unless you actually require the dog for medical reasons I cant see them allowing it. Rules are rules and if everyone started breaking them sure the place would be over run with pets.

You asked our opinion/advice and it seems because you don't agree with the answers you are getting then we are all in the wrong. But you will be the one in the wrong and risk having to move or rehoming your dog if you go ahead and break the rules... People wont be long complaining about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

if the rules state no pets , then to be honest it will mean no pets.

Yes they can force you to remove your dog - can you purchase in another place?

Thanks for the answers. I don't agree with them but I respect different opinions, however it's not logical to me. My dog is as my daughter, he is other member of my family.

I think that it's illegal they can remove my dog. It's not a conflict, noisy or annoyed dog. It's not easy to buy a house in Dublin with a good price, area, etc. to purchase in another place.

As far as I know, the rules could be change at the AGM.

If you bring your dog, what YOU are doing will be illegal, not them.

The rules are there, if you don't abide by them, you are the one in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

What if everyone else in the apartment block like the rules as they are and wont change them at the AGM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This caught my attention. Do you mean living in the apartment block? Are you sure of this? Fingers crossed for you here... By crossing the post all they mean is post your query in Accommodation and Property as well as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cocker5 wrote: »
    Yes they can force you to remove your dog - can you purchase in another place?
    No, they can't force you to do anything.

What they can do is levy financial penalties for breach of the house rules. Failure to pay these penalties will end up with you going to court and paying them anyway.

Sounds like pedantry, but I just wanted to be clear that they cannot arrive at your door and take your pets away under any circumstances.

Whether the rules can be changed or not is a bit of a moot point. Until you get to propose the change at an AGM, you will be in breach and will be required to pay the financial penalties of being in breach.

I don't know what it's illegal here, because I have read the Irish Legislation and I haven't seen nothing about that:
    irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/

PS: I didn't want to duplicate the post, but I think that it's the best option to know from Accommodation and Property as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I don't know what it's illegal here, because I have read the Irish Legislation and I haven't seen nothing about that:
    irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/

PS: I didn't duplicate the post, but I think that it's the best option to know from Accommodation and Property as well

Its not illegal to have animals in all apartments only in some.. and this is clearly stated in your case.

Op why even take the risk of losing your dog? Buy somewhere that does allow animals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Therapy dogs don't technically have 'public access' like a guide/service dog so that won't make a difference to a management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

cocker5 wrote: »
    Its not illegal to have animals in all apartments only in some.. and this is clearly stated in your case.

Op why even take the risk of losing your dog? Buy somewhere that does allow animals...

It's not illegal as there is no law stating dogs cannot live in apartments. It is however a breach of the contract with the management company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks for the answers. I don't agree with them but I respect different opinions, however it's not logical to me. My dog is as my daughter, he is other member of my family.

But just because you don't agree with a rule it doesn't mean you can disregard it, if the management company of the building say you can't have any pets in any of the six apartments then you can't, as another poster said what if another person bought an apartment in the same complex and they were allergic or scared of dogs and bought there safe in the knowledge that it would be dog free? It doesn't have to be logical to you, if you don't agree with it then buy an apartment where you can have pets. It's really not that complicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Apartments are small communities. When you buy one you sign up to communities rules. The rules vary for different
    apartments complexs and cover lots of things, rubbish disposal, noise levels, parking spaces and pets.

If you buy an apartment in a block which does not allow pets you and bring your dog you will not be happy as the rest of the community there does not want dogs.

You mention there are lots of dogs in the area but while the area may have a large population of dogs it doesn't mean the complex does or wants to have one.

Unless your dog is a registered guide or service dog that assists you in your daily living it will not be accepted and all you are doing is buying heartache for both yourself, your dog and you future neighbours.

Keep looking at other properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Do you know what therapy/services/guide dog are?

Why so snappy because you don't like my answer.

Advertisement