Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic plan for running

Options
  • 11-02-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

some basic advice please
    can someone,who knows a bit about running, give an outline of a way to improve,(idiot proof please)
    I always avoid running, this year I am going to try to improve it.

Im slow and its out of pace with my swim and bike.
    my proposed plan is
    1x longish run thats 8-9km for me at an easy pace a week@ like just below 5min/km
    2 x shortish like 5 k at kind of race pace 4.30- 4.45/km
    turbo 2 or 3x a week (an S&C instead of the 3rd turbo mainly glutes)
    swim 3 x
    my goals are for an oly in may and aug sprints the rest, hoping to run about 21 for 5k, 45 for 10k in races not standalone
    race run 14.01 for 2 mile and 14.50 2nd 2 mile(sportmans last week)

I have a heap of stuff in my head that i dont know anything about.
    tempo runs, intervals,endurance runs, the bike will carry to the run so bike more, etc
    I have been going round in circles on the net, nothing I could rely on as trustworthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How are you deciding your paces?
    What defines 'easy'?
    Is your race pace all out? Reason I ask is 4:45 is just below 5:00/km so either your easy is too hard or your race pace is too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I have no idea about pace, I am just giving what i do.
    on the long run I use mapmyrun and try keep the pace under 5min per k
    on the short ones i try to push harder
    i did 1k interavls once at about 4.35/k for 5
    the race times the frist 2 miler i ran what i tought was comfortable but felt more than half the pack run off on me
    I felt beat on the 2nd 2 miler
    Im guessing i dont have much in the way of "gears"
    I know I have this kind of issue with swimming

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What height, weight and age are you?

1.91(6,3) 89kg(14 stone) 42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

From a purely running perspective, your long runs are far too quick. If you're doing speedwork and intervals anyway (and at approx. 4:35/km), your long runs should be a good deal slower than those other runs. 5:20-5:30 per km would sound more along the right lines to me.

• Advertisement

From a purely running perspective, your long runs are far too quick. If you're doing speedwork and intervals anyway (and at approx. 4:35/km), your long runs should be a good deal slower than those other runs. 5:20-5:30 per km would sound more along the right lines to me.

just did the intervals once.
    To be honest i always feel like Im jogging not running even when racing.
    The longer pace is very easy to sustain, its going faster that i have an issue with

Make your long run longer, and then you will be forced to adapt your pace. "Just run" you long run for a while, no toys not gadgets just go out and run a route thats 12km or so and forget times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Are your 2 turbos an hour or so long in duration? The "lack of gears" you mention at Sportsmans may be more a lack of aerobic endurance as your longest run in the week is 40 to 45 minutes, with perhaps no long bike?
    My 2c, but a longer regular bike and a longer slow run would be of real benefit.

the 2 turbos are generally 45 mins or so. no long bike, should i aim for like 90mins or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    The longer pace is very easy to sustain, its going faster that i have an issue with
    If it's qute easy to sustain, then lengthen the distance. 12-15km instead of 8-9km might be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

OK. You're doing regular sessions which is a good sign but I would find it hard to race with no run/bike sessions longer than 45 minutes. Endurance is as issue and without that, speed is very hard to come by! But keep your longer sessions easy, particularly if you look to extend that long run as tunney suggests.

do i need to build to that, like 10% per week?

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    do i need to build to that, like 10% per week?

Run yes 10%
    Bike can be less cautious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

Be consistent and do not overtrain. Good rule is 3 weeks on one week. 3 weeks normal training one week 50%.

Advertisement