Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pup, blood in end of stools

• 11-02-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So we got a new Pug Pup on Sunday. He's a very healthy happy active little fella, 9 weeks old, however since Monday we have noticed that on occasion he a few drops of blood appear on the paper after he passes his stools.

I rang the breeder immediately about this on Monday and she thinks its because he has a small tear in his you know what . She told me he was wormed last week and he might have scratched it off something or one of the other pups may have bitten it etc and she has seen this before and its nothing to worry about. She said she will send me some anti bacterial\infection tablets in the post and ive to give him the course of them over the next few weeks, however im wondering should i get a second opinion off a vet. He is due his boosters in 10 days time at the vet anyway so im wondering should I hold off till then or bring him the vet. I also notice that after he does his business, he doesnt sit down properly, he kind of hovers for a few minutes so the tear makes sense but im worried its not a symptom of something more serious. His diet consists entirely of puppy nuts that the breeder gave us (cant remember the brand but I will check when I get home)
    and we dont give him anything else other than a bowl of water.

Apart from the issue above, he's extremely happy. He's very active and is eating and drinking really well but the blood has me worried.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Has he all of his vaccines?

Edit - I see he is due boosters so safe to presume he has his parvo shot etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What did the breeder worm the pup with?

And do you have proof the dog has all his shots? I'd check those two first.

Oh - And post up a pic of the baby! Please? We LOVE looking at baby pictures!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt be giving him any tablets unless he was seen by a vet. Sometimes the change in environment and new home etc can cause a little upset, but to make sure all is ok I would take him for a quick check up.

He seems uncomfortable if that's what hes doing after he goes to the toilet so I would def recommend a vet check before the booster is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Thanks for all the responses. Yeh think ill bring him the vet tomorrow if its still happening, just even for piece of mind. I read online aswell that a change of environment and added stress can cause this but it can also by a sign of something seriously wrong so best just to get him checked out.
    What did the breeder worm the pup with?

And do you have proof the dog has all his shots? I'd check those two first.

Oh - And post up a pic of the baby! Please? We LOVE looking at baby pictures!! :D

Ive no idea what they wormed him with and yes I have proof that he had his shots and also that he's been microchipped.

ill post a pic in the post a pic thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

We got a schnauzer puppy just before Christmas and after a couple of days she got diarrhoea with spots of blood, rang the vet and he said it's fairly common when pups are adjusting to solid food and it would help if we soften the nuts in hot water a little before feeding.
    We were told there was no need to bring her in unless she started to show signs of bieng unwell, it cleared up after a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What brand of food are you feeding OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I only thing I can think of is that with a small bichon X type dog, at one stage he was being overfed and this caused him pain when going to the toilet along with some blood.

You probably are but are you giving a number of small meals over the course of the day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Sound's like parvo but it'd be dead by now if it was parvo. Try changing the diet maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

It could also be a touch of colitis which is not too serious but can be uncomfortable . Just take the pup to vet to get a proper diagnosis and advice re prevention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Inexile wrote: »
    It could also be a touch of colitis which is not too serious but can be uncomfortable . Just take the pup to vet to get a proper diagnosis and advice re prevention.

I was thinking the same thing, as my Shih Tzu is prone to the odd bout. Looks worse than it actually is. But I thought maybe the little guy might be too young for it?

What is he being fed on? That might affect his stools too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Thanks for all the replies... seems to have cleared up. He hasnt had a trace of blood since I posted this thread and we have been checking every bowel movement with a microscope and they are all healthy , if it returns we will bring him straight to the vet, he is due there next week anyway for his boosters so will determinately say it to them when im there.

Sorry meant to say what he is eating. He is exclusively eating puppy nuts (forgot to check the brand last night) that the breeder gave me and told me not to change them until he is at least 6 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

allybhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies... seems to have cleared up. He hasnt had a trace of blood since I posted this thread and we have been checking every bowel movement with a microscope and they are all healthy , if it returns we will bring him straight to the vet, he is due there next week anyway for his boosters so will determinately say it to them when im there.

Sorry meant to say what he is eating. He is exclusively eating puppy nuts (forgot to check the brand last night) that the breeder gave me and told me not to change them until he is at least 6 months old.

6 months? Nonsense... When we got our second dog (both from the same, very very reputable breeder) the first thing we did was change his dry food (10 weeks old) - gradually over a 7 day period. Then as soon as he hit 4 months, we introduced a raw (barf) diet.

Stick up the brand name here and those more informed than me can give opinions.

The most important thing at this point in his development, is to ensure he's eating the best food for your budget, in the correct amounts.

Personally, we don't wet the food, and supplement with natural yoghurt (to help puppy's tummy) as we've had a few bouts of colitis when young.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just to echo what hooked says op, keeping a puppy on the same food til he's 6 months is nonsense, based on nothing whatsoever factual.
    It's all very well if it's good food that suits pup, but if there's a suspicion that pup's not doing well on it, you can change whenever you want! Just do so in stages.
    Foods high in cereals are most likely to cause digestive upset.
    Another thing to bear in mind re the blood... You mentioned that pup had been wormed a few days previously? Modern wormers really mush up any worms that are present in the gut, and they're voided in the poop as a pinky-red gelatinous goo. This is often mistaken for blood.
    Could this be what it was?
    Even if not, it's handy to know... I know it made me panic the first time I saw it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just a nitpick I noticed in your post OP - are you trying to toilet train your puppy with paper?

Advertisement