Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To A Scout Leader

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Conchir wrote: »
    I realise it's probably not your area of expertise but you mentioned air scouts - what do they do? I've never been involved with scouting but I'd have a fair enough understanding of scouts and sea scouts just from hearing things basically, never even heard of air scouts though.

They're quite rare in this country. They focus on flying just as sea scouts focus on water. I think there's only 1 air group in Ireland but Air is one of the 9 adventure skills:
    • Camping
    • Hillwalking
    • Pioneering
    • Backwoods
    • Emergencies
    • Sailing
    • Paddling
    • Rowing
    • Air

beertons wrote: »
    Is the prayer still the same? I remember saying it over and over with a friend, as his dad drove us out to a place with prefabs in Rathangan. The place was condemned soon after. Good craic though, it was my maiden trip away with them.

I remember a cub leader, we all called him skip. After leaving, I found out his name was Peter. Fast forward to last year, my little neighbour next door was away with the cubs, and we had the same leader. He's still there! Kinda mad how we have something in common.

Fair play man, I admire leaders. You do a super job.

4th kildare, 90-97.

7th Rathangan are back up and running - you should get in touch. Very active group - they reformed about 2 years ago iirc.

Prayer is still the same (it's the prayer of St. Ignatius written about 600 years ago) but it's not actually part of SI constitution. Some groups say it and others don't.

I thought I saw another question here earlier but only for a chance to answer it now. Was it deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

First question. I was in the CBSI, which seemed to be a more regimental and religious outfit than the Scouts of Ireland. The cub scout ranks were (macaoimh ranks); Árd Rí, Rí, Aire, First Macaoimh (I think). What are those ranks called now?

Second question. When I was in the cubs/macaoimh/CBSI there was a large emphasis on Catholicism. Is the emphasis on religion still there or is it gone now?

Yea I deleted my questions when I read over them later and realised they were not actually that good or interesting. Mostly they were related to transparency and self-policing in terms of your adults alone with children policies. Nothing much of note.

• Advertisement

First question. I was in the CBSI, which seemed to be a more regimental and religious outfit than the Scouts of Ireland. The cub scout ranks were (macaoimh ranks); Árd Rí, Rí, Aire, First Macaoimh (I think). What are those ranks called now?

Second question. When I was in the cubs/macaoimh/CBSI there was a large emphasis on Catholicism. Is the emphasis on religion still there or is it gone now?

I don't actually remember those ranks. There are sixers and seconders for each clan. Similar to PL/APL in Scouts.

There is an emphasis on spirituality rather than religion. Spiritual development is part of the scouting method now. Different groups operate that in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What is the biggest single change you'd like to see in Irish Scouting? Why? Do you think it'll ever happen? If so, when? If not, why not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement