Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wife has fallen in love with Dragon Age: Inquisition - so, what next?

Options
  • 11-02-2015 1:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone!
    So about 2 weeks ago, by wife (a casual Mario/Mario Kart/Animal Crossing kinda girl) decided to have a go at Dragon Age: Inquisition after I had just beaten it.

To say she has fallen head over heels with it would be an understatement. She loves the character interaction, the story and the choices she has to make.

She is almost finished the game and she is actually gutted that this adventure will soon be at an end. So, my fellow boardies, what game should come next?

The clear candidates here are earier Dragon Age games (which I have never played) or the Mass Effect Trilogy (which were my favourite games of last generation).

She is a fan of sci-fi and fantasy, but leans more towards LoTR/Gane of Thrones/Dragons than pure sci-fi. She also loves the characters in DA:I.

Having said that, the Mass Effect games would perhaps be better than DA, DA2 and DA:O but I am very biased.

What would you recommend? Alternatively, would you recommend another non-Bioware game that would have similar character interaction-driven gameplay? Skyrim is already on the radar for the similar setting.

Whic game next... 20 votes

Mass Effect
    0% 0 votes
    Mass Effect 2 (skip the first game)
    30% 6 votes
    Dragon Age 1
    5% 1 vote
    Dragon Age 2 (skip the first game)
    65% 13 votes
    Other game
    0% 0 votes

Comments

Dragon's Dogma, it's the best of its kind around. I rarely get sucked into game that take 40+ hours to complete but DD was the exception. Started a second play through a few weeks back and enjoining just as much as the first time. Best of all you'll pick it up for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You already have my first guesses on the list. Theres also KotOR if she likes star wars, the witcher, fable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd say let her see the first couple of DA games - the first one at least cause she's already got some knowledge of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

She should play Skyrim!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd go Dragon Age 1 & 2 next. The first is brilliant, 2nd gets rightly criticised due to lots of repetition in the locations but I still think the main campaign and characters make it worth it.

If you go with Mass Effect best to start from scratch and play through all three as your choices carry over between games (also happens with DA), though the first game is a bit dated now.

I'd also recommend the Witcher games, pretty similar to Dragon Age in terms of having to make choices and that.
    daUbiq wrote: »
    She should play Skyrim!

Personally think Elder Scrolls games feel pretty shallow after playing DA and The Witcher, plus what few choices you get to make have little to no effect on the storyline etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd go Dragon Age 1 & 2 next. The first is brilliant, 2nd gets rightly criticised due to lots of repetition in the locations but I still think the main campaign and characters make it worth it.

If you go with Mass Effect best to start from scratch and play through all three as your choices carry over between games (also happens with DA), though the first game is a bit dated now.

I'd also recommend the Witcher games, pretty similar to Dragon Age in terms of having to make choices and that.

I've never finished DA1 but finished DA2 a few months ago; I enjoyed it. :D

Loving Inquisition, playing it on PS3..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls. It will put hair on her chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Witcher is free for Xbox gold members this month, make sure to add it to your.collection/library. Id say to try the first two DA games followed by the Witcher. Should keep her busy until Witcher 3 release. DA 2 allowed more strategic squad commands but reckon you could play similar to DA:O.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The Telltale games would be worth a look if she likes choices.

The Walking Dead season 1 & 2, The Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones which is only a couple of episodes in so far.

It may be worth waiting for the full release of GoT so she can play them all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Has she played the original dragon age? well worth a look and cheap as chips these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mass Effect, all the way from scratch - don't tell her anything about it and see what she has to say at the end of the trilogy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dark Souls. It will put hair on her chest.

A must trait in any wife :pac:

+1 for skyrim and dragons dogma , ME and DA games might get a bit samey after a couple in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dragon's Dogma.

It's a bit hard for the first few hours though, let her know she can run from battles!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragon's Dogma, it's the best of its kind around. I rarely get sucked into game that take 40+ hours to complete but DD was the exception. Started a second play through a few weeks back and enjoining just as much as the first time. Best of all you'll pick it up for next to nothing.

+1 for this, such an amazing game

Advertisement