Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2yr old German sheppard, no training.

• 11-02-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Would appreciate any advice/tips on how i might begin to start training him.
    He is a beauty with a lovely playful nature but is a completely free spirit.

His favourite toy is a wheel....of a bike, car, trailer, anything, once its moving :o.
    I feel without some training, this may eventually be his downfall, or worse, someone may get hurt
    (he is by no means vicious, just loves getting his teeth into tyres).

When in his run he will gladly side up against the rail and he will let you give him all the attention.
    The moment he is out he just goes bananas, playfully,no way would he sit still by your side for the pet.

Just to add, this is not my dog, but i will be around where he is alot.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,986 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I am not an expert on this. My two cents are below.

Does the owner of the dog recognize the need for training?
    If not, even if they don't mind you trying to refine the dog, the dog will primarily use that persons reaction as a gauge of whether their behaviour is acceptable or not.

As a 2 year old, I suspect the dog is past the ideal age to start training but better late then never. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would appreciate any advice/tips on how i might begin to start training him.
    He is a beauty with a lovely playful nature but is a completely free spirit.

His favourite toy is a wheel....of a bike, car, trailer, anything, once its moving :o.
    I feel without some training, this may eventually be his downfall, or worse, someone may get hurt
    (he is by no means vicious, just loves getting his teeth into tyres).

When in his run he will gladly side up against the rail and he will let you give him all the attention.
    The moment he is out he just goes bananas, playfully,no way would he sit still by your side for the pet.

Just to add, this is not my dog, but i will be around where he is alot.

TIA
    Hoping that if he is a car chaser he is kept firmly on the lead as it would not necessarily be him who was hurt or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The fact he is chasing wheels mightn't strictly be a wheel problem, but more of a lack of stimulation problem*, if it becomes a habit rather than just a way to amuse himself that's when there is an issue. What's his daily schedule like do you know? Training him is all well and good, but if the owner/whoever he is around the most doesn't keep it up, nothing will change.

Going by what you wrote, "he just goes bananas", "playful nature", "free spirit", "when in his run", he sounds like a dog who doesn't get to do much during his day. GSDs are highly intelligent dogs, they adore their people, but they need interaction and to use their brains in order to be happy.

*Just a guess!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Thanks for the replies.

@Tell me how.
    Not really, and i feel my effort will be the only imput.
    I did cross my mind about the age but i would like to try.

@ Grace
    Yes he is secure, but that is what im afraid of at a moment when i dont have him in sight and gate open for access etc.

@ Vonvix
    Accurate yes. Thats the part i feel i have an oppurtunity to help/change.
    He is in his run during the working day, so yeah there will be more of an opportunity to have him out and about and definitely more active, with company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You should advise them to get the dog used to a muzzle too, if they ever want to take it out for a walk that is

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Im not sure but you could try get a bike, roller blade, skateboard of your own and try de-sensitise them a bit! My border terrier barks like mad at motorbikes (particularly mopeds). I have managed to get it so that she doesn't lunge and bark at motorbikes but her interest is always there! Her ears perk up and she's on high alert! I don't think it something you will ever fully get out of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

exercise exercise exercise training, This is a large, highly intelligent dog who needs stimulation. being in his run most of the time won't do him any good.These are working dogs.

Take him to a beach or a deserted spot where he can run and play until he falls over from exhaustion.Start recall training and when in his run, give him something to puzzle..there are plenty of toys (kong) he can keep his mind occupied with. He needs interaction...

Thanks Ashbx and doubter.
    I have been doing work with him and there are improvements,albiet small.
    Such an intelligent dog.

Good idea Ashbx. I wil try adapt something along those lines.

So full of energy doubter. Good advice.

This is Buddy!

Just an update.
    He is a super,super dog (as are each and every one).

Its a mixture of new habits and old ones at the moment, its really cool and quirky. So intelligent.
    We are covering many miles each week, thats good for both of us!!
    Its been great and Buddy is making it very easy for me.

The wheel fancy is still there but is lessening.
    Thanks everyone for their advice.
    We will keep it rockin

Advertisement