Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacknight hosted website to Blacknight .ie domain

Options
  • 11-02-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

I have a Blacknight hosted website (minimus hosting), under a .com domain (registered elsewhere). I recented got the .ie version of the domain from blacknight and at the moment I have the .ie doing a standard foward to the .com domain. (so you put site.ie in address bar, site.com opens with site.com in address bar).
    I'm thinking of changing this so that the hosting is under the .ie domain, with the .com redirecting to it. (site.com in address bar, opens site.ie with site.ie in address bar). I want to check if the following is the correct way to go about that:
    1. Change .ie domain to Apache WebSite, 
    2. Migrate the website files to the new .ie folder on the server,
    3. Change .com domain to standard fowrading to .ie domain.
    4. Update sitemaps, google webmasters, incoming links etc. etc.

Some articles and posts I read on migration talk about setting up 301 redirects. Does setting up a domain as "standard forwarding" in the blacknight cp mean I won't need to worry about 301 redirects?
    Also,will migrating this move the email I currently use, from info@site.com to info@site.ie? If not, will info@site.com still exist? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I have a Blacknight hosted website (minimus hosting), under a .com domain (registered elsewhere). I recented got the .ie version of the domain from blacknight and at the moment I have the .ie doing a standard foward to the .com domain. (so you put site.ie in address bar, site.com opens with site.com in address bar).
    I'm thinking of changing this so that the hosting is under the .ie domain, with the .com redirecting to it. (site.com in address bar, opens site.ie with site.ie in address bar). I want to check if the following is the correct way to go about that:
    1. Change .ie domain to Apache WebSite, 
    2. Migrate the website files to the new .ie folder on the server,
    3. Change .com domain to standard fowrading to .ie domain.
    4. Update sitemaps, google webmasters, incoming links etc. etc.

Some articles and posts I read on migration talk about setting up 301 redirects. Does setting up a domain as "standard forwarding" in the blacknight cp mean I won't need to worry about 301 redirects?
    Also,will migrating this move the email I currently use, from info@site.com to info@site.ie? If not, will info@site.com still exist? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance
    If you can contact our help desk directly with all the details you've provided they'd be able to advise on the exact steps you need to carry out

Regards

Michele

Advertisement