Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not connecting to the wifi at college.

Options
  • 11-02-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

So last week my nokia Lumia 630 dual sim stoped connecting to the internet at college. :confused: When home for the weekend and it worked fine (it was a fast connection) on the mobile wifi I have at home. Back at college now this week wifi not connecting. :rolleyes: FML

When I connect (like it allows me put in my college username/password) it says "Limited" on the wifi symbol and when I touch that it says the college wifi name and "no internet access".

A smart phone isn't so smart with out a wifi connect.. Please help..:(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Other than checking if the software on the phone is up to date, you'll have to check with your college IT support people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

theothernt wrote: »
    Other than checking if the software on the phone is up to date, you'll have to check with your college IT support people?

I did and they said that it shouldn't be happening as it works on other peoples smart phones and laptops. They also said im the only person that came to them with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

job seeker wrote: »
    I did and they said that it shouldn't be happening as it works on other peoples smart phones and laptops. They also said im the only person that came to them with this issue.

Remove the network from your phone and try again.

Remove the network from your phone and try again.

Done that, but no joy. :mad::(:(:(

Thanks for the replies so far guys.. :)

Can you ask what type of encryption they use, I'd guess it's something like WPA Enterprise (or WPA2 Enterprise) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

By any chance did denim roll out to your phone? I've a very similar issue at the moment on a specific wifi network. I'm wondering if there is any link to the denim update and possible impact on wifi?

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    By any chance did denim roll out to your phone? I've a very similar issue at the moment on a specific wifi network. I'm wondering if there is any link to the denim update and possible impact on wifi?

Denim is a firmware (lower-level) update as well as the WP 8.1.1 OS update so there are a lot of changes and fixes under the hood - it's very possible they broke a couple of things.

If both of you can give a little more info about what kind of wifi network you're trying to connect to, I can possibly flag it with the Windows team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

With a bit of tinkering about, mine is back working/connecting.

When I posted earlier, I had tried to connect to a number of secure wifi networks (at my place of work) to which I had the security key - previously, my lumia 930 was setup to connect to one of these and happily has done so for a number of months. I consulted with one of our network admins and verified that the networks were fine and others were connected as normal (all sounds a little like the OP's post).

Also, I tried connecting to a guest network which was open / uses a browser authentication post connection being established. This phone refused to do so again. Simple message returned to say it couldn't connect as with the secured wifi.

I tried removing the network from the 'known networks' - with wireless off->manage networks->etc.., etc.. That didn't do anything but just noting that I tried it.

Powered off and back on and it seemed to be the same on the secured networks - couldn't connect. I did however manage to connect to the open guest wifi - nothing special, I just went through the normal procedure. Then (the exact sequence is a bit hazy) but it involved disconnecting from the guest wifi, I was prompted to enter the secured wifi security key to one of the wifi networks, which when I did it established connection and internet was available.

Weird behaviour.

I'll keep an eye and post should it happen again.

Can you ask what type of encryption they use, I'd guess it's something like WPA Enterprise (or WPA2 Enterprise) ?

WPA Enterprise I really don't know what it means though...

Denim is a firmware (lower-level) update as well as the WP 8.1.1 OS update so there are a lot of changes and fixes under the hood - it's very possible they broke a couple of things.

If both of you can give a little more info about what kind of wifi network you're trying to connect to, I can possibly flag it with the Windows team.

This is what i have.

IP address

Subnet mask

Default gateway

DNS

DNS SUFFIX
    lyitnet.lyit.ie

Also when I went to a different member of the IT team they reckon that I should have the proxy turned on. But it only requires the proxy to be turned on if you connect manually. therefore I never had the proxy on. When I turn on the proxy it requires a "server/URL" and a "Port". I tried afew different things but no joy. (it's also worth noting that my 02 wifi at home dosn't need the proxy turned on) I hope this helps

• Advertisement

All those details you've posted suggest the phone *is* connecting to the wifi. A proxy isn't necessary unless the college network mandates it (typically, most networks don't use them).

If you're able to check the connection on a phone that works, then see if the details (IP addresses, etc) are the same?

Hmm that's strange...

Il see what I can do.

Thanks a million so far for all the help..

Im just looking at the connection details on the PC in the college and they are different.. I can post them here if it of any use??

Im just looking at the connection details on the PC in the college and they are different.. I can post them here if it of any use??

Sure, but is the PC/laptop using wireless? ...typically the details in a college will be different for wired vs wireless connections.

Ah ya, you right it is wired..

Got this sorted, it now connects like normal... :confused: Ah well, im not complaining. :D Thanks for all the help....

Got this sorted, it now connects like normal... :confused: Ah well, im not complaining. :D Thanks for all the help....

Was it anything particular in the end, or did it just start working? ;-)

:D
    Was it anything particular in the end, or did it just start working? ;-)

Just started working again... Phone must have just been sick.

Advertisement