Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Showers?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

People have weddings with a no present rule, I've been to a 50th with a no present rule so why not a shower?? Can't you shower the mother with advice, fun etc. why does it have to be with a material object.
    Doesn't anyone see the irony in saying something is gift grabbing yet in the same breath say they would turn up with a gift when expressly asked not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Imagine the shame of turning up to a gift giving Cermony, with 20 other women and being the only one who didn't bring a gift? The shame of it. You admitted yourself Ms, that although you said no gifts that you were in fact expecting gifts (albeit homemade) because people don't want to arrive empty handed.

Id have more respect for people who were just honest about it tbh.

Imagine the shame of turning up to a gift giving Cermony, with 20 other women and being the only one who didn't bring a gift? The shame of it. You admitted yourself Ms, that although you said no gifts that you were in fact expecting gifts (albeit homemade) because people don't want to arrive empty handed.

Id have more respect for people who were just honest about it tbh.

So who is the gift really for then? No me, I've already said it makes me uncomfortable hence me not wanting them, so really the gift is to make YOU feel better.
    My SILs are making some desserts which everyone will have some of with their tea & coffee & they'll also bring some home that is why I don't mind that type of gift, it can be shared out.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    So who is the gift really for then? No me, I've already said it makes me uncomfortable hence me not wanting them, so really the gift is to make YOU feel better.
    My SILs are making some desserts which everyone will have some of with their tea & coffee & they'll also bring some home that is why I don't mind that type of gift, it can be shared out.

Would you go to a party empty handed?

Would you go to a party empty handed?

I have when asked, why would you not respect the person's wishes??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I don't understand this nonsense by saying it's a baby shower when you don't want gifts.

Spot on. A baby shower without gifts makes as much sense as tits on a bull. The whole core idea behind a baby shower is the giving of gifts. Nothing at all wrong with meeting up and having lunch etc, just put a bit of thought into it though and try to give it a more appropriate name :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ms2011 wrote: »
    People have weddings with a no present rule, I've been to a 50th with a no present rule so why not a shower?? Can't you shower the mother with advice, fun etc. why does it have to be with a material object.
    Doesn't anyone see the irony in saying something is gift grabbing yet in the same breath say they would turn up with a gift when expressly asked not to.

You're completely missing the point ...

A wedding is a celebration of a couple getting married. Gifts are optional.
    A 50th is a celebration of a person turning 50. Gifts are optional.
    A baby shower is an event where you shower the soon-to-be parent(s) with gifts.

The definition of a baby shower is that gifts are given. You cannot call it a baby shower if there are no gifts. So there's a simple solution - don't it a baby shower if gifts are not expected. It is then just a gathering of friends. And cakes / handmade baby blankets are still very generous gifts.

skallywag wrote: »
    A baby shower without gifts makes as much sense as tits on a bull. The whole core idea behind a baby shower is the giving of gifts.

To you maybe & if that is your opinion that says more about you than the so called gift grabbing mother to be.

Hahaha no it doesn't, where do you think the name came from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement