Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iphone - three.ie and insurance

• 11-02-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife's phone got a the tiniest splash of water on it a couple of weeks and instantly died. Did the bag of rice trick and miracously it worked....

For a week. Every couple of days now it dies, we pop it back in the rice and the next day it's working again for another while.

Which is odd enough, I would have thought once it was gone it was gone.

Anyway, she has insurance with three.ie and pier, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows, if she sends it in, how much is she likely to be charged towards a new/refurbished one?

Debating if it's worth letting a phone repair shop have a look at it. Be handy if it was fixable on the spot....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scoothouse

Hi The Corpo

I would speak to Three.ie or Pier to see what they have to say! I have dealt with Pier and found them to be helpful. I believe that if you go to an outside repairer you wont be able to claim for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Thanks for that, Scoothouse.

She did contact Pier, and it turns out 3 had never informed them that she upgraded her phone. So they told her she would need to go back to Three, get proof of purchase, pay the difference owed in the months since the upgrade and then make a claim.

She works full time, so it took a day or two to get the above sorted, but did and then made the claim. Was rejected today on the grounds that it was made 48 hours after the incident happened....

Very annoyed as to why they couldn't have told her this in the first place, but waited until after they'd gotten paid €55 in back pay.

So, assuming there's no further comeback from Pier, and considering they signed off with "if you wish to cancel, please contact", what should her next move be?

Paid service with apple, or a phone repair store? The phone is still coming on and off again, so it's not been bricked. Have done a full restore. The most common google result seems to put this behaviour down to a broken battery.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Pier seem to a habit of rejecting out of hand. Go back and appeal it.

Hi the corpo I agree with whiterebel - call them and appeal! Advise as to why it took time to notify them, I am sure they must have bandwith the accept claims outside of their guidelines

It's moot now really, she's been without a phone for over a week and needs it up and running for work etc., so we gave it into a local phone shop who reckon they'll have it up and running by tomorrow for 75 quid. Pursuing it with Pier would see her phoneless for at least another week or so, and even if successful she'd have to pay an excess towards the repair.

She just cancelled her policy. Silly move on their part, she's been paying them insurance for years, it would probably cost them a fraction of what she's paid to sort the phone, and now they lose out on her as a customer going forward.

• Advertisement

Have you checked what your excess payment would be with them? It may be cheaper than you are going to pay a 3rd party........ you would still benefit from the insurance as well.

No, but I can't imagine it being much less than 75. Regardless of which, it's gone off to the phone show now anyway and getting put on the house insurance at no extra cost.

Advertisement